Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Making people on the dole work

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    A highly educated socially concious person? Er, what? :confused:

What he means is that unless the educated people are in the management sector they are more trouble than they are worth- they start telling the bosses how to do their job, and generally become a pain in the arse.

It's always a fine line in these debates- people who have genuinely fallen on hard times need support and protection until they can get back on their feet, but that invariably means the wasters and the freeloaders get a free lunch. In many areas there simply aren't the jobs available for people to take, no matter how hard they look- the North East is dead on it's feet now the mines and the shipyards have pretty much closed down.

But people should still have to look- those who are unwilling to should have their benefits stopped entirely, and there does, really, have to be some sort of cut-off for benefits. What never fails to piss me off is how just about every house on a council estate has a Sky TV satellite dish- I don't work now because I'm a finalist and don't have the time, but when I did I still couldn't afford Sky TV, yet I was paying tax for people to go out and get it. In my opinion if a benefit claimant has a Sky dish, then they should have their benefits cut by £40/month, because it's £40/month they don't need.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    What never fails to piss me off is how just about every house on a council estate has a Sky TV satellite dish- I don't work now because I'm a finalist and don't have the time, but when I did I still couldn't afford Sky TV, yet I was paying tax for people to go out and get it. In my opinion if a benefit claimant has a Sky dish, then they should have their benefits cut by £40/month, because it's £40/month they don't need.

Not everyone who lives on a council estate is umeployed y'know. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Not everyone who lives on a council estate is umeployed y'know. :rolleyes:

Quite. But on the ones I'm thinking of they are.
  • Options
    Everyone on the estate is on the dole? Pull the other one.
    And what gives you the right to decide what people should spend their money on?
  • Options
    Everyone on the estate is on the dole? Pull the other one.

75% unemployment- that's quite a large majority, I'd say.

And what gives you the right to decide what people should spend their money on?

I don't know- maybe the fact that it is MY money that's being wasted.
  • Options
    Irony- a student berating unemployed, oh, I forgot you're a careerist who'll soon vote for a low tax/low spend Govt.

Sometimes it's wiser to let sleeping dogs lie and if no-hopers can be bought off with Sky dishes then so be it.

'Your money'? - care to enlighten how much. Look in Wednesdays guardian Society Jobs and you'll see 'Your money' being spent like a drunken sailor
  • Options
    75% unemployment- that's quite a large majority, I'd say.

You know this for a fact do you?

I don't know- maybe the fact that it is MY money that's being wasted.

Wind yer neck in. You're gonna be telling people what food they should eat next. Let people make their own decisions and stop being so precious about your taxes (didn't you say you're a student? What taxes are you payhing exactly?), theres plenty of worse things our taxes get wasted on than someone watching fucking Sky. :rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    It does if you're not working.
  • Options
  • Options
    You know this for a fact do you?

Depends if the Telegraph and Argus is fact, doesn't it?

Let people make their own decisions and stop being so precious about your taxes (didn't you say you're a student? What taxes are you payhing exactly?), theres plenty of worse things our taxes get wasted on than someone watching fucking Sky. :rolleyes:

There are worse things, but they aren't the topic of this discussion. I'm just as anti-Trident and anti-Iraq war, but that doesn't mean that I can't be anti anything else.

Even if I aren't earning I pay: fuel levy, VAT, VAT on fuel, airport tax, and probably about 52 other "stealth" taxes I can't think of right now. I don't have a job now because my contract wasn't renewed, but I did, and working 4 hours round Tescos in the pissing rain for nothing pissed me off royally, especially when I see that money being spent on Benson and Hedges and Sky TV when I can afford neither.

People fall on hard times, but I don't think that JSA should be anymore than the necessary required to help people get back on their feet.
  • Options
    People fall on hard times, but I don't think that JSA should be anymore than the necessary required to help people get back on their feet.

People fall on goverment policy engineered hard times, it wasn't so long ago Norman lamont talked of unemployment as a price worth paying + ageism+high property values. All to be overcome, just like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    People fall on goverment policy engineered hard times, it wasn't so long ago Norman lamont talked of unemployment as a price worth paying + ageism+high property values. All to be overcome, just like that.
    ahhh ya just a big softy ladymuck ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Min wage is £4.5 an hour.

There should be no minimum wage!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber

Why ?
  • Options
    fuck the peasants yeah? let them eat cake yeah?
    we have built a reasonably compassionate, dynamic and highly technical civilisation without your kind thankyou.
  • Options

so you would like to see many greedy fat cats pay people as little as they can creating a huge class division? The minimum wage should be risen i say. I remember seeing something that even it was raised to something like £6 an hour maybe higher it would only cost 0.1% of the countries expenditure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    so you would like to see many greedy fat cats pay people as little as they can creating a huge class division? The minimum wage should be risen i say. I remember seeing something that even it was raised to something like £6 an hour maybe higher it would only cost 0.1% of the countries expenditure.
    a lot of people who are very comfortable ...want for nothing ...don't realise how lucky they are living in such a society.
    the poorer society gets the more dangerous ...the bigger the gates ...the stronger the padlocks ...more scrapyard dogs roaming free on the premises of those of us who are comfortable.
    i realy have no time or respect for such fucking selfish blind idiots.
  • Options
    ahhh ya just a big softy ladymuck ...

Don't forget i was near Gandhi + Mandela in the Political Compass:D

I knew someone who topped themselves (train) through zero prospects

Reality is usually more interesting to dicuss than Govt. propoganda
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Being a student doesn't stop you paying tax y'know. I wish it did....

I'm a student and I don't pay tax, I didn't think uni students have to either.

Why? What job do you do? I doubt you'd be happy to be doing it on £2 an hour. people have gotta live y'know.

Risen yeah, I agree. I also believe that wages should be capped in some cases, that the high earners who get a stupid amount should be limited on what they earn. In fact why shouldn't everybody be more equal in pay?
  • Options
    I'm a student too, I'm paying tax, I thought I was supposed to:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    What's your point? MoK was on the dole for a while - should he not have an opinion now because he didn't pay tax then? Lots of students do have to work to make ends meet. Your insinuation that students can't complain about what tax is spent on is quite plainly stupid.

No its not. Kermit said "maybe the fact that it is MY money that's being wasted." but its not actually his money is it?

Thats the point I'm making.
  • Options
    I don't have a job now because my contract wasn't renewed, but I did, and working 4 hours round Tescos in the pissing rain for nothing pissed me off royally, especially when I see that money being spent on Benson and Hedges and Sky TV when I can afford neither.

Tough shit. You can't tell people how to spend their money. Deal with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I'm a student too, I'm paying tax, I thought I was supposed to:confused:

You do if you're working. But Kermit isn't.
  • Options
    Cheers for clearing that up, thought I might be due a rebate. :(
  • Options
    I'm a student and I don't pay tax, I didn't think uni students have to either.

Do you work?? If not then you wouldn't pay any DIRECT taxation!
  • Options
    Do you work?? If not then you wouldn't pay any DIRECT taxation!

Why shouldn't we have a minimum wage? You still haven't answered that.

But yeah... didn't think we were supposed to pay tax. I get cash in hand though anyway :p
  • Options
    Monocrat's one-sentence statements return from the dead to haunt us... :eek: ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Why ?

Because most economists (irrespective of their macroeconomic persuasion) reckon that one negative aspect of a minimum wage is an increase in unemployment.

If a minimum wage is set too high, then it prices people out of the workforce since employers cannot afford to pay them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Monocrat's one-sentence statements return from the dead to haunt us... :eek: ;)
    Cheers for clearing that up, thought I might be due a rebate.

And this isn't a 'one-sentence statement'??!:rolleyes: :lol: