Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Asperger's syndrome.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since 1997 I've suffered from a psychiatric condition which often makes me feel angry and agitated.

My consultant once told me that he suspected it might be Aspeger's Syndrome.

What are the symptoms of that?

Comments

• Options
    anti social behaviour, the inability to read others faceal exspressions

I will find a site about it for you.
    If you ever need to talk about it feel free to pm me. Ive grown up with autism and aspergers cos of my sister and my (late) best friend
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't think I have trouble interpreting other people's facial expressions.

But sometimes it appears that I can lack empathy for others. this is from anything 'inherent', it's because I feel no one seems to care when I feel low.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    I don't think I have trouble interpreting other people's facial expressions.

But sometimes it appears that I can lack empathy for others. this is from anything 'inherent', it's because I feel no one seems to care when I feel low.

http://www.aspergia.com/ - there's a site written by people with Asperger's.

Asperger's is on the autism spectrum. People with autism can have different types, and Asperger's is very high functioning autism - people with Asperger's have very high IQs. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

http://www.autism-pdd.net/checklist.html - there's a site about diagnosing autism

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html - and another

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aspergerscaleAttwood.html - ahah! that's the other one i was looking for.

The 'symptoms' aren't necessarily severe in all individuals. And it's not just about social skills either, although many who know little about autism imagine it is. In that last test you can see there are a variety of other headings, and it might help to just speak to/read about autistic people. Read about is probably easier. But if you can see their experiences you may think "hmm, I act like that", or "yeah, I've experienced that".
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy

And it's not just about social skills either, although many who know little about autism imagine it is.

Can i just say that i said about the social skills bit cause its one of the symtoms i remembered at the time, not because i dont know about autism.
    I cant really add on what youve said becuase its all very good.
    Although i really should be able to spout truck loads of info onit....i cant tho..ahwell.
    Good luck mate and make sure your docter talks and explains everything to you properly. dont be scared to ask more if you dont understand. i know how hard it can be coping with types of autism.
  • Options
    A friend of mine has Aspergers, which is basically high functioning autism and he has difficulty with empathy and reading faces & body languages.

However he's so intelligent... I mean the guy can program a webpage in minutes. He's in uni doing a computer course of some sort.

Another symptom of autism is that people have... I dunno, kinda obsessions with certain things. Like my friend is obsessed with Harry Potter, knows the books inside out and has all the merchandise, the games... knows everything about the writer ect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Can i just say that i said about the social skills bit cause its one of the symtoms i remembered at the time, not because i dont know about autism.

I wasn't saying that you knew little about autism, I was just saying in general that it's the social skills bit that people tend to remember/know about.

Sorry about that though!