Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Valium

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was at a mate's house over the weekend and a guy offered me a valium but I didn't take it because I'd no idea how it would react with the substantial amount of whiskey I'd drunk.

Would it have been worth taking or would I have freaked out with the drink? Valium isn't something I know a whole lot about.

Comments

• Options
    Mate believe me when i say you were probably damn lucky that you didnt take it on top of alot of whiskey.

Both alcohol and valium (a barbituate) are depressent drugs and are BAD NEWS when mixed together.

A combination of too many barbituates and booze will kill you.

in isolation maybe valium isnt so bad but you'd be better off talking to someone really experienced with it i've only done it once.

But i know you Dont mess with that when drunk.:)
  • Options
    the two taken together, each enhance the effect of the other.
    you can make a serious twat of yourself and some more!
  • Options
    Martin, your advice is right apart from the fact it isnt a barb, its a benzo, they're different.

Valium isnt a drug that really has much recreational use to my mind, it makes you sleepy and stops your mind working properly, thats it, there isnt a high as such. They are good for making you sleep but thats it.

They are a depressant on the CNS and ANS, so they are very unwise to take with alcohol, you will depress your heart and breathing rate and could well die.
  • Options
    Really? well thats the last time i listen to rick mayall. :D (saw it on that old 'Out of My head' drug education video from 1995.)

This is why i always like to qualify what i write with statements such as 'Seek more advice from people more educated about the subject' like on my other post (as i say im glad i did now).

I may have to spend more time reading this errowid business as it seems quite informative.

I do wish more people would admit when they dont know about something though, i have got tons of misinformation from people who could have just said 'well this is what it think but im not entirely sure'. In no way is this directed at the Sun newspaper 'Yeah kids drink water to be safe with the most dangerous drug of all...E'.

Anyone who read that and died from drinking too much has their death firmly on the hands of The Sun and Mirror.

(ok ur really rambling now)

:rolleyes: ;):D:lol:
  • Options
    Jesus, I didn't realise it would have been that dangerous, I thought I would have just had a crap night and a headache the next day! :rolleyes:

Cheers for the advice though.:)
  • Options
    Why didn't you just buy it tim and not take it that night and keep it for some other time.

If you were interested in Valium that would have been the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Why didn't you just buy it tim and not take it that night and keep it for some other time.

If you were interested in Valium that would have been the sensible thing to do.

Well I was thinking about that, but tbh I didn't really trust myself in my state and would probably have taken it there and then. I'll be able to get it no problem again as well so I decided not to risk it.
  • Options
    Meh. Valium isn't that awful. I've been on Valium since I was 10 (15 now) cus I'm schizophrenic. It slows you down and makes a lot of happy, but sometimes yuh, it brings you so low down you don't even want to think about it. So yis, don't take Valium. (Plus it's really expensive if it's not on NHS).

Nomi
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
  • Options
    My friends went through a stage of taking valium after some beers a year or two, a little fad because a mate of ours was on it.

Very bad idea, but boredom leads you to stupid things like that!
  • Options
    Thinking of it, i have taken it in the past, without alcohol, had it before a religious studies exam because it was a very important one for me and pre exam nerves and all that. It helped me get an A in the end!

so when budda you say it stops your mind working, and im sure it must have that effect because of the reasons its used for (mental illnesses, helping with addiction etc), it didnt stop my mind working it just really really clamed me down.
  • Options
    It doesnt really stop your mind working like a high dose of crap weed will, I just mean the higher thinking is gone, your mind is very foggy and its difficult to concentrate on anything. And of course it depends on the dose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nomi
    Meh. Valium isn't that awful. I've been on Valium since I was 10 (15 now) cus I'm schizophrenic. It slows you down and makes a lot of happy, but sometimes yuh, it brings you so low down you don't even want to think about it. So yis, don't take Valium. (Plus it's really expensive if it's not on NHS).

Nomi
    XxxXxxX

Damn! They actually treat schizophrenia with downers?

I don't think that like a 10 years daily benzo use would be good for you and your brain...Maybe you should take an anti-psychotic or anti-depressor or sometn?...Bah , im not a doctor ;)
  • Options
    Benzo's do have some mental health uses although they do need to be very tightly controled.

Obviously there is the physical addiction to worry about but they can make stress problems worse too because you learn to survive with them rather than coping yourself.