Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nails

Ive noticed that my nails are getting rather long...is there anything i can do to strenthen them as i have to have my hands in water alot for my job andthe always endup tearing.
They look so pretty when they are long so i want to keep them that way.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Thanks suise but that wasnst really what i was asking for...i was kinda hoping for someone to tell me if there was anything i can buy or get done to make them super strong
  • Options
    hey...I have naturally long nails and I would just to go the grocery store and get nail strengthener...its ususally used on brittle nails but it works pretty good. within a few weeks ur nails will be stronger and you won't have to worry about applying it...other wise your nails need treatments. be nice to them, drink lots of water..it helps growth and file, or care for them weekly! good luck!:D
  • Options
    They sell strenghtning nailvarnish. Or you could get them gelled...
  • Options
    Gelled? tell me more about this...what does it involve/cost?
  • Options
    It can be pretty expensive! in america a gelling or strengthening treatment it could cost up to $50.00 so I guess its in preference if I were you I'd just to pick up the kit and do it yourself...because you can keep redoing it and it won't cost as much! It will save u $$ in the long run...(sorry I'm unsure what type of currency or how much it is) I guess its about 41.775 euro got to love currency converters!:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Gelled? tell me more about this...what does it involve/cost?
    Most people also have fake tips, but you obviously dont need/want them. They put like a thick clear gel on your nails and let it set which makes them alot stronger and thicker. Most places charge about £30, although, I went to a trainee who hasnt taken her exam yet. She done my nails brilliantly, and it only cost £15. Only thing is, as your nails grow, you need to get them redone, normally between every 3-4 weeks. My infils cost me £10.

I need to get mine redone actually...:chin:
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend gelling. My mum had it done, and a week later it was chipping off, and her nails all broke.

I'd just say keep your nails varnished permanently..

I have long, very strong nails. I don't have a particularly healthy diet, so it's not that, that makes them strong.
    I just never not have them painted. I always have a polish on them, whether it's clear or black. Always have them painted... It seems to strengthen them.. They hardly ever break. *Mine only break when they get too long!*

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I wouldn't recommend gelling. My mum had it done, and a week later it was chipping off, and her nails all broke.
    I think it depends on the quality of how the gel is applied. When I got mine done my sister was like "They're so gonna chip and break and look horrible..." and they've lasted brilliantly. No chips or anything. My nails look luurvleh now :D
  • Options
    for something basic try something from the sally hanson range, you can get it boots.
    i used the diamond strength varnish for a while and i definately noticed that my nails were stronger for it.
    then i got nail extensions and ruined them :mad:
  • Options
    some places sell nail envy thats quite good but your cheapest option would probably clear nail varnish. most ranges do a a varnish designed for strength though just have a look in your local boots