Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dry hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok basically i've always had thick, coarse, curly, wavy yucky hair and its never been made better by the fact that i'm ill a lot and take lots of medication, such as the pill and anti-depressents and lots of prescribed pain killers.

anyway i had a hair dye disaster last weekend and ended up using hair dye, then pre-lightener and then dyeing it agen:eek: (and it still looks like shit!:()! at the time the condition was ok...jus normally dry and frizzy and i can handle that...so i thought i was safe but no.....!

now a week later its terrible. really really awful. its so damaged and rough and nasty and dry. it keeps breaking too. I jus bought the Kerastase resistance range for weakened hair to help it and hopefully in the long run it will work but i'd reali like some more advice. how da heck can i quickly improve the condition of my hair (without chopping it all off!)???

please help!
:confused:

Comments

• Options
    kerastase is really good for your hair. i had a fuck up with my hair and it went so shit but that stuff really sorted it out. also the tigi bedhead conditioner -honey and oatmeal- is really nice as well. i used that too to give it a deep condition where you leave it on for 10mins.

there might be some natural alternatives that you could search for, like putting raw eggs on you hair . i've read articles like that in magazines. just be patient and don't overstyle! lay off the hair dryer and straightners if you use them.
  • Options
    i've never found the state of my health/medications to affect the state of my hair, unless i'm not eating properly - you may want to look into that.

the only thing you can do for your hair now is just condition it to hell. buy the best quality conditioner you can afford, and leave it on for about 5 minutes every time you wash your hair. invest in a deep conditioning treatment too. and consider having at least the ends chopped off, it'll make it look several times better. rub some end sealing type product into it while it dries. let it dry naturally.

also think about taking vitamin supplements, especially the hair/skin/nails ones (vitamin D and E, i think?). they'll get to work on the inside, so any new hair that grows should be stronger and healthier.
  • Options
    Pretty much what others have said. Get a good quality conditioner (E.G Kerestase - Oleo Relax, its especialy for thick and frizzy hair.) If you buy a thick cream conditioner and apply it to towel-dried hair, leave on for 10 minutes and comb through before rinsing it out. Spray a heat protecting spray over your hair before blowdrying etc, to help the hair keep its natural moisture. As well as buying a good conditioner, most hairdressers sell special treatments that will help revitalise your hair. Also, apply a serum to your hair after you've blowdried it, to protect it from the outside weather.
  • Options
    just to second whats already been said... but when you put conditioner on your hair or the treaments, put them on, then go sit in the bath, the steam will help alot. :)

xxx