Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

apendicitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
has anyone had their appendics out?

whats it like? i know its an operation but is it like fairly basic or dead nasty?

also, if the doctors say theres a risk u might die if u dont have it done is that just like a way to scare u? or is it a real risk?

thanks in advance xx

Comments

• Options
    from what i understand, if you don't have your appendix taken out when you have appendicitis, it can burst, and then you're pretty much fucked.
  • Options
    my ex has apendicitus at the mo and hes scared about having the op but hes got loads of support and its not like its gonna kill him
  • Options
    from what i know its a fairly simple operation - just a case of making a tiny incision (sp?) and then snipping the appendix off. its only about the size of your little finger i think. Of course, every operation carries risks, bcos of the anasthetic, but it should be fine :D dont worry too much!
  • Options
    Re: apendicitis
    Originally posted by tittletattle
    also, if the doctors say theres a risk u might die if u dont have it done is that just like a way to scare u? or is it a real risk?

Why would they want to scare you? :confused:

But yes, real risk.
  • Options
    its only a real risk when your appendix rupture, cos that can be life-thratening, and if you have an emergency-op, you have a huge scar from it, whereas if its a normal op you have a smaller scar.. i think :)
  • Options
    How do you know if you have a appendicitis? Adults don't really get them do they?
  • Options
    I had suspected apendicitis however luckily it was nothing.
  • Options
    I had suspected apendicitis

How did you know?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Adults don't really get them do they?
    yep. my mum had it when she was in her 40s
  • Options
    I knew because I had really bad pains in my side and then was rushed to hospital where I was examinded and I was kept in over night for observation.