Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

confidence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

At the moment I feel I'm living two lives, one at home where I'm reasonably confident, have many friends, a girlfriend of over a year and feel at ease in most situations. Then I have my life at uni where I hate going to lectures alone, have a small number of friends and basically feel anxious and very unconfident most of the time...unless Ive had a drink. Uni is nearly over now but I really can't see why I feel the way I do in each situation other than familiarity at home and the fact that so many people my age are around me. Ive tried new clothes, losing weight, haircuts, joining uni clubs, all to no avail... Please help!

James

Comments

• Options
    Hiya :)

your just worried about what people will think of the real you! your scared of being judged! just dont worry about it, just be ureself and if people dont like you for you then thats there problem!

love kandy x
  • Options
    awww, dont worry. spose it aint too bad bcos ur uni days are nearly over. dont be scared to show who you are - if people dont like u then that's their loss!! good luck+happy buddy hunting :)
  • Options
    I'm surprised you say you're so confident at home, but not at Uni.
    Mind you, I felt a bit lonely when at Uni, and it didn't help that my girlfriend broke up with me three weeks after I started. :( But I made a couple of friends there, and it wasn't all bad. I always felt ok there though, so can't really understand why you're not. Is it a case of only feeling confident around friends, and taking a long time to make friends? Anyway, from what you said, Uni will be over soon and then it won't matter.
    Can't you somehow tell yourself that you are confident with friends, and you will be confident in lectures & seminars at Uni.
  • Options
    As one of the girls once said on here-
    When life goes like a dick, fuck it!
    I'd try one or two social clubs were you actually have an interest in, and try again to go from there.
    Just think of how long you took to get to know your other friends that well?
    Maybe invite all your other mates out in the Uni some weekend, let people know the real you when your back in a relaxed environment! HJust give it time