Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sore tongue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nope I haven't been snogging anyone-or anything else!

I have like an ulcer or something and its really sore. ita about 1cm and it feels hard to the touch. Its been there about a week and seems to be spreading. I have been eating salted pretzels alot if that could cause it-and I do also get nasty tonsils regularly. Tho I think this is unrelated-or due to poor general health?

What is good for this? home remedies or something I can get at boots tomorrow? Otherwise I won't be eating me choccy eggs come easter!

Comments

• Options
    My father in law had something wierd happen to his tongue, it sounds a bit like what you have.

He was talking too much and it ended up swelling and getting all puffy and wierd. Apparently he had an infection in the tongue.

I'd gargle some mouthwash with peroxide in it, that'll kill off any germs and if it doesnt clear up get yourself down to your GP.
  • Options
    Rinse your mouth with half a bottle lid of TCP with some water.

Go to the doctors, usually when people get mouth ulcers it's due to being run-down health-wise.

I had a wad of them when I was stressed about things on the tip of my tongue, but I just chilled out, got some rest and made sure my mouth was as clean as could be to reduce anymore ulcers and so on, yanno?

Get a Listerine mouthwash and have a nosy on the NHS Direct Website.
  • Options
    thanx guys wil try what you said and make a gp appointment-I may aswel, its silly not to use my doc for what he is there for! I am kinda all stressy at the moment with ten uni assignments on the go so maybe thats why. Anyways thanx!
  • Options
    hiya i got an infection in my tongue that was due to bein run down. it started off as an ulser kind of thing on my tongue that eventually turned into a long shallow hole that got all infected and went white. i went to the docs and they said that theres little that they can do for tongues and gave me some orange flavoured gell to help sooth the area. not sayin that u have the same thing but the gell is available form a pharmacy without a prescription and helps to stop the stinging a lot. sorry i cant remember what its called
  • Options
    oooh you didn't have nasty tonsils at the same time did you!? eek!
  • Options
    i used to get ulcers in my mouth and on my tongue loads, but they seem less nowadays, not sure why.
    i just used to let them take their natural course, but it was painful if you jabbed a salty crisp or something into it.

the gel thing isn't bonjela is it, i know that is advertised for use against ulcers (it's about 30% alcohol as well)
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    Rinse your mouth with half a bottle lid of TCP with some water.

Go to the doctors, usually when people get mouth ulcers it's due to being run-down health-wise.

I had a wad of them when I was stressed about things on the tip of my tongue, but I just chilled out, got some rest and made sure my mouth was as clean as could be to reduce anymore ulcers and so on, yanno?

Get a Listerine mouthwash and have a nosy on the NHS Direct Website.

The TCP was what I was going to say .. However I'm pretty sure Listerine is quite acidic .. I know it was on WatchDog years ago with other mouth washes for rotting teeth with over usage.

I use one by Tesco which is PH balanced, Anti-Bacterial etc for general use and save the Listerine for occassions when I think I'd something stronger like when going out to dinner.
  • Options
    OOh someone recommended that to me on here before and I have started using it again. It is cheap and it does the job. I used to like that Dentyl pH one where you shake it up and get to see debris when you spit it out but its expensive.