Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drinking to much!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya :D

i think i might have a drinking problem! i love going out at weekends and getting really drunk, as far as not having a clue what ive done or where i am! My last night out i speant about £80 on drink, my boyf went mad as that was our rent ££!

Now i have drinks almost everynight, i cant help myself! what can i do??? xxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Options
    wow £80!
    Why dont you just not go out for a bit? and see how u are? are you like dependant on the drink or just want it when your out?
  • Options
    Re: drinking to much!
    Originally posted by *candycane2*
    Now i have drinks almost everynight, i cant help myself! what can i do??? xxxxxxxxx
    fair enough if you want a glass of wine every night but doing it becaue you "can't help yourself" is like your dependent on alcohol. it's best to stop this early. maybe tell your boyfriend you want to decrease the amount you drink so he can help make sure you stick to it.

£80 on drink in one night is a fucking lot! before you go out tell yourself how many drinks you intend to have and tell your friends too. also only take out a bit of cash.. no cards! then you can only have so many. its always difficult to tell how drunk you are when you're in a club so go to bars first where it's easier or drink at home before you go out. that way you know your a bit drunk and can have a good time but not so pissed that you're falling over.

to see a girl (or boy) as drunk as that is sooooo unattractive! falling all over the place with your eyes half closed is not a good look.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The easy way to cap the spending on booze is to withdraw some cash before you go out, not take your bank card with you and put Taxi fare in your sock/back pocket/etc.

Hasn't failed me once, except the time I lost my shoe/sock....
  • Options
    Re: drinking to much!
    Originally posted by *candycane2*
    Hiya :D

i think i might have a drinking problem! i love going out at weekends and getting really drunk, as far as not having a clue what ive done or where i am! My last night out i speant about £80 on drink, my boyf went mad as that was our rent ££!

in my opinion you dont sound like you have a problem, If your happy with your use and its not affecting you apart from your wallet i dont see the problem.. Just because you drink everyday doesnt make you a addict.
  • Options
    I think you should be happy with yourself for recognising that you think you do drink too much. I know I drink too much and do try to curb drinking on weekends. I know I like a can of beer of a weekday so as long as I don't go overboard its ok. Tho I don't do drink til I'm drunk at the weekends so maybe you can do the opposite? I don't know!

When I first worried I was drinking too much it was my dad who said things like how perhaps your BF is, but then I look at other ppl who do drink alot more.

Test yourself-see if you can do a drink free day in the week. If you can't then try to cut it down bit by bit in the week at least.

Moneywise its better and then you can work on the weekend getting drunk part.

My best friend still drinks to get drunk every weekend and spends £50 on booze easily so £80-even if the drink is £5 a time you still havin alot of drinks.

I'm sure someone will post the alcohol pages (moderators? plz I'm useless at doing links!) and take a look.

As I said at the start tho, you've recognised a problem-or at least a start of one so well done and good luck hun!

pm me if you want!
  • Options
    You can't help yourself?

You spent your rent on booze?

I'd say you had a bloody problem all right!

So, what to do about it?

Make an appointment with your doctor, and talk to them about it.

Why do you want to do it? Not "I can't stop it", that's a symptom, what makes you turn to the hard stuff? It's finding out the causes that is the key to getting back on the wagon, and something that you really need to think about. And something that only you can answer.

I'd also highly recoomend joining AA.
  • Options
    Re: Re: drinking to much!
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    in my opinion you dont sound like you have a problem, If your happy with your use and its not affecting you apart from your wallet i dont see the problem.. Just because you drink everyday doesnt make you a addict.

Do you want to tread the post again?

She can't help herself. She is drinking every day. She is spending money she doesn't have on obtaining alcohol.

No, she doesn't have a problem at all! Moron.
  • Options
    Hi there
    It's always hard to admit we have a problem with drinking -especially when it stems from social situations, so good for you for speaking up. It sounds like you are seeking help sooner rather than later, which is a good thing - if you crack this now, you should hopefully be able to keep a healthy relationship with alcohol rather than binge drinking in this way.

We have some features here on TheSite that will help you:
    Alcohol binges

Dealing with drink problems

Got a drink problem?

Try doing some different social activites for a while that don't involve just going out drinking - maybe go to the cinema or theatre so the time you can spend at the bar is limited - or give a friend a limited amount of money for the night and get them to buy your drinks at a slower pace.

If you want to talk to someone about these issues and get some one-to-one counselling, try:

Drinkline
    Confidential telephone help, info and advice on all aspects of alcohol use and abuse. Calls are free.
    Telephone: 0800 9178282

:)
  • Options
    I dont think u have a drinking problem..... ur certainly not an alcoholic....... ur young and out 2 enjoy life so do that!

£80 is far too much 2 spend one 1 nite out tho...... that'd do me 2 nites lol :)

Next time u go out just take sumthin like £40 wi u that way if u run out u cant spend nemore and ur m8s will just pay ur taxi fare!

That happened 2 me once..... i went 2 afterdark wi my m8s one night and i took £50 with me thinking thats plenty (and it is) but i ended up spending it all so my m8s paid my taxi home! Never again has that happened tho coz b4 i go out i give sum1 my taxi money 4 cumin home that way i dont have 2 worry about keeping money and i can just really enjoy myself...... as u no i always do :)

U just have 2 be a bit more careful.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by gr8fcuk
    i iz a fu hu no's nufin bout nefin!!!111

i spnd so mch muni on da piss dat i fink dat spndn da rent muni duz nt mk u av a prob!!!111

u iz nt drnkn 2 much 4 u budgit, cuz u iz avin a gud tme an dat iz al dat mataz!!!111
  • Options
    dont give me a lecture "dad" lol, remember Room at the Top haha, you were so drunk(falling everywhere) the bouncer gave you a telling off haha that was so funny "someone spiked my drink" lol you were drunker than me!

hehe!

but yeah your right, i shouldnt take so much ££ with me!

love kandy x
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: drinking to much!
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Do you want to tread the post again?

She can't help herself. She is drinking every day. She is spending money she doesn't have on obtaining alcohol.

No, she doesn't have a problem at all! Moron.

God people can go through phases where they do drink like this then just stop it does happen you know.

Its called being young....

From what i read of her posts she seems to know what to do so why the fuck should she go into a AA meeting .... she knows the score all she has to learn is how to control her use i recommend just drinkin on the weekends, fuck off the weekday drinking problem solved....
  • Options
    Kermit, that was immature and out of order. He did try to give some sensible advice about budgetting there as well as saying that she's young and having fun. Seems reasonable to me.
  • Options

Made me giggle. :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: drinking to much!
    God people can go through phases where they do drink like this then just stop it does happen you know.

Its called being young....

From what i read of her posts she seems to know what to do so why the fuck should she go into a AA meeting .... she knows the score all she has to learn is how to control her use i recommend just drinkin on the weekends, fuck off the weekday drinking problem solved....

Yeah, and a lot don't- George Best, anyone?

I'm sure he put it down to 'being young' when he was 20- not when he's 60 though.

Strangely, TheSite lists the AA as a good place to seek advice from- but hey, I wouldn't trust the professionals and those paid to help, now, would I?

Some of the things to look out for are:

getting into arguments because of booze;
    getting into debt because of booze;
    thinking about alcohol a lot, and when you'll next get a chance to drink;
    binge drinking regularly, especially after going without.

Though, of course, I again wouldn't trust professional advice, and rely on the advice of someone on a message board who seems to think £80 isn't a lot of money.

Immature, LSS? I don't think so- TheSite lists the facts, the poster lists the facts, and asks a question. I give an answer, and criticise answers which I think are dangerously misleading.

But hey, what am I to know? It's not like I've done reading on alcoholism or anything, is it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    He did try to give some sensible advice about budgetting there as well as saying that she's young and having fun. Seems reasonable to me.

Because budgeting will suddenly cure an addict?

Get in the real world.
  • Options
    I know you state a lot of facts but your jumping to the conclusion shes addicted from what shes wrote in my opinion shes not a problem case yet, shes just being a bit silly like spending bills money on drink, however when she starts drinking on her own, hiding the bottles, stealing money etc then i think the AA meetings are in dire need.

maybe a trip down the doctors could be a idea if she is finding things tough going but i think its a case of she has to be strict with herself, have some restraint and leave the alcyhol until the weekend.
  • Options
    Then maybe she should try and test herself to see if she is addicted or just being "young and reckless"? If she is just being young and reckless she'll have a good night without getting completely bladdered.
  • Options
    I know you state a lot of facts but your jumping to the conclusion shes addicted from what shes wrote in my opinion shes not a problem case yet, shes just being a bit silly like spending bills money on drink, however when she starts drinking on her own, hiding the bottles, stealing money etc then i think the AA meetings are in dire need.

Then better to stop her now before she becomes a 'problem case', why not nip the problem in the bud before it become's too big to deal with? Or before she causes herself some serious health problems?

I'm not having a go, I just think Kermit's on the right track - but alcoholism is a sore topic for me, so i'd want to try and prevent it before it got that far.
  • Options
    I know you state a lot of facts but your jumping to the conclusion shes addicted from what shes wrote in my opinion shes not a problem case yet,

Please read the 1st post made here :
    think i might have a drinking problem!Now i have drinks almost everynight,
    Thats 2 quotes taken from the 1st post and you think there is not a problem with someone who has to drink almost every night ?

Of course its a problem case, anyone who needs to drink almost every night has a problem, which probably will get worse.
  • Options
    shes not a problem case yet

So spending money she doesn't have, admitting that she can't help herself, admitting that she needs to drink every night and admitting she binge-drinks and drinks so much she can't remember what she did doesn't constitute a problem to you?

It's no wonder alcoholism is so rife in this country if that is considered not a problem.
  • Options
    I personally used to drink every night for a few months and i didnt find it a problem but thats just me i dont know anything about this person so for all i know she could be getting really into it.

Ok im changing my stance on the problem, stay off the drink for a month or 2 then go back at weekends and ONLY weekends... i believe one should have at least one vice (if they wish) but its only a nightmare if you go to extremes with it so moderation is the key... less is more in the long run..

He/she will probably feel anxious for a few days through the lack of alcohol but once your past that stage you will find other things to fill the time.
  • Options
    Because budgeting will suddenly cure an addict?

No and I never said it would. I was just responding to the way you took the piss out of him and focussed specifically on the money side of it. I haven't actually made any comments about addiction at all.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: drinking to much!
    Immature, LSS?

And yes, I thought it was immature the way you did the rather old and tired thing of taking a quote from someone's post and fucking around with it to take the piss out of them. The rest of your advice seems very sound to me and I'm not disputing that in the least, it's just things like that which piss me off and cause petty arguments on here.
  • Options
    So spending money she doesn't have, admitting that she can't help herself, admitting that she needs to drink every night and admitting she binge-drinks and drinks so much she can't remember what she did doesn't constitute a problem to you?

It's no wonder alcoholism is so rife in this country if that is considered not a problem.

OMG, some1 that thinks my problem is serious :) thank you! will power is what i need, getting it on the other hand it hard!

love kandy x