Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Acne - and going to the doctor about it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum thinks I have mild acne. Which I think might be true. However, the thing I need to know is, can I go the doctor about it?

I don't really care so much about the acne. It's just that I have been told that if I see a GP about my self-harm, I can be referred to a counsellor without my mum being able to do anything, I just need to find a reason for getting to the GP. I was wondering if the acne thing would be good enough? As I need mum to take me to the doctor and then take me to school, as it would need to be in school time (bloody school).

I know this was totally unrelated to the title, but I couldn't think of anything better =S

Franki
x

Comments

• Options
    sounds like a good enough reason, yeah.

you can be referred and treated without your mum even knowing, if you want to do it that way, cause everything that happens in the doctor's room is totally confidential.

having said that, i was going through a similar thing at your age, and i don't think i would have coped without the support from my mum. i mean, it wasn't easy to tell her, she pulled this face :eek2: then this face :crying: then this face :mad: but in the end she used to ferry me to and from my varying appointments in different places and she made sure i took my tablets and the right times, and she always had a shoulder for me to cry on when i fell apart, and if nothing else, it just made it so much easier that someone knew, even if she didn't understand.

so maybe what i'm saying is you should have a wee chat to her and tell her the real reason you want to see a doctor?
  • Options
    i agree with the above.

another little thing though... if for whatever reason you cant get to the docs to be referred to councelling (and/or sometimes it takes a long time to get referred due to waiting lists), is there someone at your school that you can talk to? we had a councellor where i did my GCSE's and now where Im at college and Im under the impression that a lot more schools have councellors working for them now then what they used to, maybe that would be a good idea and more convenient for you to look into?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    she pulled this face :eek2: then this face :crying: then this face :mad:

My mum, when she first found out that I did it the first time, did that. Now she just does the :mad: face. And has since banned any unneccesary sharp objects from my bedroom.
    so maybe what i'm saying is you should have a wee chat to her and tell her the real reason you want to see a doctor?

That wouldn't work, my mum doesn't WANT me to go and see a counsellor for reasons concerning what they told my older sister when she used to do it, so she wouldn't want me to see the doctor and get myself referred - that would defeat the whole object anyway. Said older sister knows about what I've done, so I have someone to talk to, and confide in and stuff. But once I've gone to the doctor, and if they refer me, I will tell her. She can't do anything about it then, so I can tell her. But if I told her before I went she would stop me from going.

And badabing - we have the ChIPS (Children In Partnership with Schools) thing, which is connected to Childline, but that is all people from my year, and people that I don't want knowing about it, even if it is confidential. I occasionally talk to my tutor (I told her about it on Friday when half the fucking school found out *sigh*) about it, and she was the one that told my mum when I first did it, but she's tried to get my mum to let me see a proper counsellor too, and failed. I think there's a school nurse, but I don't know what she could do. Besides, I have 3 months left, and that'll be full of revision and work, I wouldn't have time to go and see a counsellor in-school. I'll look on the websites of the colleges I've applied to and see if they have a college counsellor though :)

Thankyou for your help though :)

Franki
    x
  • Options
    Just to warn you, though, NHS waiting lists for counselling are very long. I waited 4 months I think, but still I'd say go for it. Your GP is not only not obliged, but not allowed to tell your parents anything without your permission. Just consider what you will do if (as is the case with me) you can't get to the counselling without parental support (e.g. lifts)
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Just to warn you, though, NHS waiting lists for counselling are very long. I waited 4 months I think

:yes:

although it does depend on your area, and what kind of treatment you need.

in leeds i waited about 2 months for assessment, and then was offered counselling pretty much straight away, but had to wait 18 months for CBT.

in wakefield i have been waiting 5 months so far just for assessment.

the NHS mental health service is overloaded to say the least, so it might be a good idea to take advantage of any other counselling services available to you.
  • Options
    :yes:

although it does depend on your area, and what kind of treatment you need.

in leeds i waited about 2 months for assessment, and then was offered counselling pretty much straight away, but had to wait 18 months for CBT.

in wakefield i have been waiting 5 months so far just for assessment.

the NHS mental health service is overloaded to say the least, so it might be a good idea to take advantage of any other counselling services available to you.

If I can't get it on the NHS, I'll have to talk to my mum, I'm not sure how long it will take round here, as the person that told me didn't tell me that. We'll see though I guess.

And piccolo - as I said before, if I did get referred, I would tell my mum about it, because I would need lifts and stuff.
  • Options
    Right.. the waiting list in this area isn't to bad i got seen relativly quickly 2months so it isn't to bad.

I told ya your be able to hun:) and i'll speak to my councillor at white lodge child and family conslatation to see what you should do but my next apointment isn't for awhile. it's very good and can help to talk about it.

also just expressing how you feel in your LJ can help and i'll support you all the way, you know that franki.

Good luck at docs:)
  • Options
    Hiya

Firstly welldone on deciding you want to take that step to get counselling.

Secondly, while it would be better if you could talk to your mum about how you are feeling, if you really feel you can;t then yes, acne is as good a reason as any other for going to the GP, especially as you do actually have it.

Finally while your GP should refer you to a counsellor there may, as others have said, be a long waiting list. However if that is the case, your GP may request that you make regular visits to see them so they can monitor how you are doing while you wait. You may also find other resources and helplines a good place to find advice and support in the interim, and there may well be a support group in your area.

Our self harm section - has loads helplines and resources.

Good Luck with it all

Take care of you

*Hugs*

Susie x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Hiya

Firstly welldone on deciding you want to take that step to get counselling.

Secondly, while it would be better if you could talk to your mum about how you are feeling, if you really feel you can;t then yes, acne is as good a reason as any other for going to the GP, especially as you do actually have it.

Finally while your GP should refer you to a counsellor there may, as others have said, be a long waiting list. However if that is the case, your GP may request that you make regular visits to see them so they can monitor how you are doing while you wait. You may also find other resources and helplines a good place to find advice and support in the interim, and there may well be a support group in your area.

Our self harm section - has loads helplines and resources.

Good Luck with it all

Take care of you

*Hugs*

Susie x

Thankyou Susie :) *hugs back* heh.

I also have a new reason for going too, my mum thinks I might have thrush! Eek! So she might take me anyway.

I will look at the link when I get home, school has it filtered *grumbles*.

I really can't talk to my mum, she'll just think it's all her fault, when it's nothing to do with her at all. And she'll get angry at me and take everything sharp away from me, even though I need my compass for my Maths exam.

But yeh, thanks for the help everybody :) Mucho appreciated :)

Franki
    xxxxx
  • Options
    Hope it all goes ok :)
  • Options
    Hi there
    Just a suggestion, but maybe you could print this thread out and show it to your mum - it may help her to understand your feelings a bit better - and you won't get tongue-tied because it's already written down.
    Good luck
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    Hi there
    Just a suggestion, but maybe you could print this thread out and show it to your mum - it may help her to understand your feelings a bit better - and you won't get tongue-tied because it's already written down.
    Good luck
    :)

Yeh that sounds like a good idea :) Thankyou!

I'll send it to her, as my printer doesn't work, and maybe the stuff I did in Depression and Self Harm . . .

Do you think it would be worth it to copy out a load of stuff that I did as Friends-Only in my LJ? 'Cause that explains more why I did it in the first place . . .
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    Yeh that sounds like a good idea :) Thankyou!

I'll send it to her, as my printer doesn't work, and maybe the stuff I did in Depression and Self Harm . . .

Do you think it would be worth it to copy out a load of stuff that I did as Friends-Only in my LJ? 'Cause that explains more why I did it in the first place . . .

Go for it franki... can't hurt can it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Go for it franki... can't hurt can it?

Well I just emailed her this link and the D&SH one. I feel like she's gonna go absoloutely fucking mental though. TBH I feel like I'm about to cry with the worry.
  • Options
    Well I just emailed her this link and the D&SH one. I feel like she's gonna go absoloutely fucking mental though. TBH I feel like I'm about to cry with the worry.

i'llsee u in a min hun..
  • Options
    That was brave of you, well done. I hope she reacts sympathetically and you can talk about it afterwards. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care

Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    That was brave of you, well done. I hope she reacts sympathetically and you can talk about it afterwards. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care

Susie :)

She got really angry, we're having The Talk tonight, as it was her and my stepdad's anniversary yesterday, so they were out, so I wrote her a letter (as suggested by Cute_Baby_Bear :)) today about why and how her reaction to it in the past made me scared to tell her, and how her reaction yesterday upset me and things of that kind.

Thanks for the support though heh!
  • Options
    She got really angry, we're having The Talk tonight, as it was her and my stepdad's anniversary yesterday, so they were out, so I wrote her a letter (as suggested by Cute_Baby_Bear :)) today about why and how her reaction to it in the past made me scared to tell her, and how her reaction yesterday upset me and things of that kind.

well done for taking the first step.

i don't know how your mum will react, but i do know that it's not easy for a parent to find out their child self harms. she might be angry cause she doesn't know how else to react, or she might blame herself, or she might totally not understand. it's not a case of you telling her, her being fine with it, and you all playing happy families. you have to work to understand each other, and both come to terms with the change this has brought about in your relationship.

it might be useful for you to have counselling sessions together, although admittedly this isn't for everyone. she has to learn to deal with you and you have to learn to deal with yourself.

i'm not going to pretend to you that it's easy. cause it's not. not by any stretch of the imagination. but after a while it does become worth it. and you can only appreciate how much it's worth it when you get there.

good luck.
  • Options
    You should be really proud of yourself:) hope its all ok *hugs*
  • Options
    I'm feeling really proud of you. Even though I don't know you. I think what you did is a really REALLY big step, especially as you knew what her reaction was likely to be.

She may be angry now, because it's a shock and it's so hard to deal with the thought of someone you love hurting themselves like that, but hopefully she'll be there for you now when it counts.

Good luck Franki and please keep us posted.