Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kcal = Calorie?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Excuse the ignorance, on the back of all food packets in the energy section where it has kJ and kcal - are kcal calories? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    yes :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    yes :)
    Aren't they kilocalories?
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Aren't they kilocalories?

I hope not, or I have been trying to take in fewer than 1500000 calories per day!
  • Options
    Very true. And no idea how many I eat. Hmph.
  • Options
    kilocalories are the same as calories... calories is just the shortened name for them...
  • Options
    The basic unit of energy is the Joule and is shown as the symbol J or kilojoules (thousand Joules) kJ. The calorie is just another way of expressing the same thing and 1 calorie=4.186 Joules so you don't need large numbers all the time.

Laziness or ignorance makes most people refer to the kcal (thousands of calories) simply as calorie, which it is not. When you eat something that has 100 calories, you are actually consuming 100 kcal, 100000 calories! Note that since humans aren't 100% efficient, we don't use all that energy in a useful way, otherwise we'd be even fatter than we are now!

Hope this clears up any confusion :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Philosopher
    Hope this clears up any confusion :)
    no actually you've confused me :confused: i have to times whatever i see as calories on the back of my food by a thousand?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    no actually you've confused me :confused: i have to times whatever i see as calories on the back of my food by a thousand?

No.

People use the word 'calorie' has the shortened version of kcal, and the common usage of the word is as kcal. So if the pack of food says 100 kcal, that is the equivalent to 100 "calories", not 100,000.

A kcal= calorie in basic terms, unless you are a scientific pedant.