Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hard to get braces nowdays...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not for me, but my 14 year old cousin went to the dentists and asked for braces and the dentist said that nowdays orthodontists only give braces to people who REALLY need it.

His teeth definately need straightening though imo.

I also read somewhere that the number of children recieving free NHS orthodontic treatment is to be slashed.

Is anyone else having trouble getting braces or do you know anyone who is and what can you do about it?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Hard to get braces nowdays...
    Originally posted by crescendo
    Not for me, but my 14 year old cousin went to the dentists and asked for braces and the dentist said that nowdays orthodontists only give braces to people who REALLY need it.

His teeth definately need straightening though imo.

I also read somewhere that the number of children recieving free NHS orthodontic treatment is to be slashed.

Is anyone else having trouble getting braces or do you know anyone who is and what can you do about it?

i think the main reason for this is so that they try and keep waiting lists down. i was on a waiting list for nearly 2 years so, yeah ... it could be something like that :)
  • Options
    I think it is another case of postcodes. Mine was a simple case of my dentist sending a letter to the head orthodontist in the region with my X-Rays. I went to see this man, and then he said my dentist ( who is qualified to do orthodontic work) could start my treatment. Within three months my treatment started and now I have a Hollywood smile. :D Kind of.
  • Options
    Well I needed braces and Im sure I still do because when I was younger I fell off my skateboard and dented my two front teeth then a while after that I fell off a bunkbed and done it again :/

My dentist said I was too young and refused to give me braces. Do you get braces when you're 15, I didn't really want them but now Im older and stuff I really don't want to go around with a gommy smile :( (not that it's that bad but still) I WANT A HOLLYWOOD SMILE :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by americanbeauty
    just ship him to the US .. here they give braces to anybody whose smile is like 1/7 a centimeter off of perfect :thumb:
    No wonder every single American has a hollywood smile.

Why can't we be like that? Don't we want people to have nice teeth....?? :confused:
  • Options
    i've been going to orthodontists for 7 years. I started going every few months for about 2 years them workin out what to do then they wouldn't see me fr 2 years then they operated, they they left my teeth to "move by themselves" for about 2 yrs, and now ive had braces for about a year. stupid effing NHS
  • Options
    when i first got braces my teeth were striaght but my jaw was apprently to far forward seemed fine to me my teeth fitted when closed purtectly.
    My i have over lapping bottem teeth and when my mouth is in like resting pose my teeth dnt touch at all.

Stupid fucking braces!!!