Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

more period fun.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i've been having periods for over a decade now, and i should really know what to expect by now, but this latest one has me foxed:

i haven't really had pain since i've been on the pill (7 years) just a bit of very mild cramping now and again. but this time i have really bad stabbing pains that last about 30 seconds at a time, but then go away for hours. i wouldn't say it's excruciating or anything, but it does hurt quite a bit - enough to make me have to stop and catch my breath.

also the colour of the blood is a lot darker than normal - almost black, although it's not heavier or anything.

should i be worried, or is this just my body doing its thing?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you should disregard this: only in your first couple of years the cramps should be their worst. Not after a seven year period where your contraceptive pill should have them regulated.

I'd get it seen to, and I've never heard of almost black blood ;\

Your body might be run down, certainyl. But safe to get it checked out - that's what the NHS is for :p

x
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    Your body might be run down, certainyl. But safe to get it checked out - that's what the NHS is for :p

true.

i might pop down the walk-in centre.
  • Options
    i get stabbing pains before my period starts and its usually on one side where one of my ovaries is. i dont know if this alternates each month as i havent paid that much attention. i just figured it was normal?

well if you do go find out what it is i would be grateful if you could let me know because it's got me wondering now..
  • Options
    Re: more period fun.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    ok, so i've been having periods for over a decade now, and i should really know what to expect by now, but this latest one has me foxed:

i haven't really had pain since i've been on the pill (7 years) just a bit of very mild cramping now and again. but this time i have really bad stabbing pains that last about 30 seconds at a time, but then go away for hours. i wouldn't say it's excruciating or anything, but it does hurt quite a bit - enough to make me have to stop and catch my breath.

also the colour of the blood is a lot darker than normal - almost black, although it's not heavier or anything.

should i be worried, or is this just my body doing its thing?

go to the doctors+have it checked out, better to be safe than sorry. the dark blood could possibly be due to hormone/nutrient level??? not sure on that though :confused: good luck though!! :)
  • Options
    id go the doc's hun! just to be on the safe side :)
  • Options
    Hi there
    For lots of women, these symptoms are peffectly normal, but only you know what's normal for you, and if you are noticing changes it's best to get them cheecked out ASAP - to put your own mind at rest. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though.