Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bring back the death penalty?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After watching a show there on the Discovery channel about 4 men who kidnapped a 16 yr old girl and held her for days and raped her, beat her, tortured her and then eventually took her to her burial spot..they beat her with a spade, she was then knocked out cold and they buried her alive, she died of severe injuries to the head and suffociation.

Now do you think the death penalty should be brought back into our society in the UK for extreme crimes?

Personally I think it should for certain crimes, like this one anyway. How could anyone do that to an innocent 16 year old girl? Ian Huntley is another.

I know I said in a previous post somewhere about no one having the right to take another human life but these men have no respect for the girl's life so why should someone have respect for them?

2 of the men got the death penalty, one got 25 years and the other got 30 years.

Comments

• Options
    If they are 100% sure and they have matching DNA samples which prove this person did the crime then yes I feel for serious crime like the case you mentioned or http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3511813.stm then deffinately, yes.
  • Options
    there are monsters living amongst us far worse than any horror movie weir wolf ... but i think they should age fast and rot away slowly ...so it costs a few quid to keep them so what. dying is easy ...it's living thats hard.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    there are monsters living amongst us far worse than any horror movie weir wolf ... but i think they should age fast and rot away slowly ...so it costs a few quid to keep them so what. dying is easy ...it's living thats hard.

:yes:

I agree.
  • Options
    Death penalty no, hard labour yes.
  • Options
    ...it's living thats hard.

I believe the first time Huntley thought about that was when he was beaten up in prison.
    People like him are only sad and show remorse because they were caught.
  • Options
    Re: Bring back the death penalty?
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I know I said in a previous post somewhere about no one having the right to take another human life but these men have no respect for the girl's life so why should someone have respect for them?

Hmmmm...anyone spot the hypocrisy?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Bring back the death penalty?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Hmmmm...anyone spot the hypocrisy?

:yes:

But we all do that at some point... me included.
  • Options
    We don't need the death penalty, just to keep dangerous individuals locked up.
  • Options
    My heart says that these cunts who do that to people deserve to be killed in the most horrible and brutal way it is posible to think of.

My brain wakes up and says that two wrongs don't make a right, and that the legal system is about justice not revenge. My brain also realises that the legal system makes mistakes- if we still had the death penalty the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six would be dead.

My heart realises something even worse to do to them- keep them alive. There's a reason why Shipman and West killed themselves, and why Huntley and especially Brady have been trying for years. Living is harder for them than death, which is the easy way out of it all for them.

The death penalty should not be around, for two reasons. It's worse for the scum who do those things, and it's cheaper.
  • Options
    Re: Bring back the death penalty?
    Originally posted by Shogun
    After watching a show there on the Discovery channel about 4 men who kidnapped a 16 yr old girl and held her for days and raped her, beat her, tortured her and then eventually took her to her burial spot..they beat her with a spade, she was then knocked out cold and they buried her alive, she died of severe injuries to the head and suffociation.

Now do you think the death penalty should be brought back into our society in the UK for extreme crimes?

Personally I think it should for certain crimes, like this one anyway. How could anyone do that to an innocent 16 year old girl? Ian Huntley is another.

2 of the men got the death penalty, one got 25 years and the other got 30 years.

Capital punishment is about vengeance and appealing to primal human emotions.

Should the justice system REALLY seek to 'get revenge' on people?! I don't think it should.

Life imprisonment SHOULD mean life though.
  • Options
    *agrees fully with sole liber shock!*
  • Options
    Kermit; I think you summed it up well. And as much as I am reluctant to admit it so did the sole liber.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    *agrees fully with sole liber shock!*

Classical liberalism has a lot going for it, y'know:)
  • Options
    I think it would be more just to hand these murdering, evil, sin filled disgusting people to the family of the girl that they abused, & killed so savagely.

If anything happened to my children, & they caught the person involved, There is no way on earth that I am gonna just let them sit in a prison cell. I can only prey that I never have to be in a situation like this.

PEACE
  • Options
    No the death penelty shouldnt be brought back, if an innocent man is sent to death the consequences for their family would be dire.
  • Options
    hmm this sums up why prison is a better punishment for serious offenders...
  • Options
    Thats really classy, thanks. I certainly feel better informed on both the criminal justice system and the misuse of drugs.
  • Options
    its such a difficult subject. i think anyone can find reasons for and against it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    its such a difficult subject. i think anyone can find reasons for and against it.

Agree
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I believe the first time Huntley thought about that was when he was beaten up in prison.
    People like him are only sad and show remorse because they were caught.
    i agree ...and as long as they keep the bastard from executing the death sentence upon himself ...
    the longer he will have to live in fear. the reprisals will never stop ...even when he's old.
    you eats your custard and plum duff and start coughing up blood ...broken razor blades and powdered glass ...again and thats some of the screws! forc e the bastard to live ...despite the fact some of you believe prison to be some kind of adventure playground that we reward our criminals with.
    you seriously cannot have a clue how bleak and miserable jail life is ...and thats when it's good. when it's bad ...fucking hell man ...you realy have no idea.
  • Options
    i agree ...and as long as they keep the bastard from executing the death sentence upon himself ...
    the longer he will have to live in fear. the reprisals will never stop ...even when he's old.
    you eats your custard and plum duff and start coughing up blood ...broken razor blades and powdered glass ...again and thats some of the screws! forc e the bastard to live ...despite the fact some of you believe prison to be some kind of adventure playground that we reward our criminals with.
    you seriously cannot have a clue how bleak and miserable jail life is ...and thats when it's good. when it's bad ...fucking hell man ...you realy have no idea.

Again agree.

If you get a bad start in prison, provided it is prison we talking about not a juvenile detention sentance, then shit can get real bad.

I got stories through people that I'd rather eliminate from my mind.
  • Options
    Why i said I agree with death penalty was because when someone does a serious crime they eventually will be released. Now some crimes are horrendous and I dont feel they should be released back into society because there could be a chance they would strike again.
    Take the serial rapist in the south, he has had history for a lot of years which started off with petty crime, he now has also been charged and convicted of the latest rapes. I dont think people like him can be rehabillitated, so let him serve ex amount of years, but eventually have the death penalty. I wouldnt say let them get the death penalty straight away.
    Depends on the crime, the severity of it and taking into account his previous crimes (if they were serious ones) then yes eventually they get the death penalty. But thats only if they have sufficient DNA to prove this person was responsible.
  • Options
    But in that case the death penalty would only serve the purpose of revenge by the State. Do you support that?

Bearing in mind that some prisoners are never released, the death penalty in those cases would not serve any practical purpose or prevent further offences.

For instance, everyone knows that Ian Brady or whatever his name is (Myra Hindley's partner in crime) will die in jail. No more danger to society from him. So would you support the death penalty for him now?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Bearing in mind that some prisoners are never released, the death penalty in those cases would not serve any practical purpose or prevent further offences.

The majority are released though. If they will never be released and they have done serious crime like i mentioned then no let them stay where they are and serve their time. whilst they are in prison let them have some fear which they put their victims through.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The majority are released though. If they will never be released and they have done serious crime like i mentioned then no let them stay where they are and serve their time. whilst they are in prison let them have some fear which they put their victims through.
    i agree with you becky that some should never be released and some as aladin pointed out ...never are released. those who are are people like me ...who finaly lost the plot with someone who was hurting his daughter ...go round to give him the kicking he deserves and it goes to far ...most murders are like that ...not criminal but emotional ...we are all capable of landing ourselves in that situation.
    the majority of people who end up in the dock are not criminal as such.
    the likes of huntly and brady will never be allowed out ...or never should be allowed ...unfortunately our justice system isn't perfect and these decisions are made by those entrusted to act on our behalf.
    look at brady ... since he was locked up he's lived in fear. he's been attacked numerous times and been damaged. the whole population inside and out are willing and in some cases waiting ...to kill him.
    after numerous suicide attempts he has recently been on hunger strike ...with the sole intention of killing himself. WHY? he would rather die than go through another 24 hrs. those who want the death penalty are giving these people a way out. a back door. these weirdo's always end up trying to kill themselves because ...dying has to be better than the life imprisonment we have handed to them. huntly wants to die ...shipman pulled it off ...but yes ...some should and do die ...in a prison cell ...old broken and defeated. as it should be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats really classy, thanks. I certainly feel better informed on both the criminal justice system and the misuse of drugs.

Sorry, I forgot, people with a sense of humour aren't welcome in Politics and Debate. *Doh*
  • Options
    those who are are people like me ...who finaly lost the plot with someone who was hurting his daughter ...go round to give him the kicking he deserves and it goes to far

now i have compassion for these cases, people who do this type of thing arent horrible scum. Obviously if they killed someone they pay for what they did but these people shouldnt behind bars for the rest of their life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The majority are released though.

Those who commit crimes serious enough to warrant the death penalty WOULDN'T be released- I don't see Sutcliffe, Brady and West wondering the streets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Sorry, I forgot, people with a sense of humour aren't welcome in Politics and Debate. *Doh*

A sense of humour is fine. But that is the third time in as many days that he has posted that picture up, and it wasn't funny then either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    A sense of humour is fine. But that is the third time in as many days that he has posted that picture up, and it wasn't funny then either.

Oh, fair enough. That is the first time I had seen it.