Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Head Lice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A little girl i babysit for has headlice and i said id look up "other remedies" than in boots. so how can she get rid of them? i swear i heard someone once mention vinegar? any tips i can pass on? thanx :)

Comments

• Options
    Well I had them years ago and my mum used a special shampoo which got rid of them but your also get things like mooses and sprays that you can use and they don't smell bad either. Think that really is the best and only way to get rid of them.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Head Lice
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    A little girl i babysit for has headlice and i said id look up "other remedies" than in boots. so how can she get rid of them? i swear i heard someone once mention vinegar? any tips i can pass on? thanx :)

the only way i know of getting rid of head lice is by actually using the medicated shampoos that you can get in chemists.

however, a good way to prevent head lice is to use a tea tree oil based shampoo. these shampoos can be expensive but they do work. for some reason head lice dont like tea tree oil. and also, it is a fallacy that they go for unclean people etc. its not always a sign of dirtyness. they particularly like clean hair.

so, yeah ... tea tree oil shampoo :)
  • Options
    If a child has head lice then the whole family need to be treated, some people just do the infected childs head which is no good. Lets face it i cuddle up to my Daughter and if she had lice then i could catch them, so its best to do everyone with the proper shampoo which is free from chemists on prescription (or people who qualify for free prescriptions).

A couple of things you can do to try and prevent headlice in the first place:
    Always use conditioner and leave conditioner on for the reccomended time. Apparently it makes it harder for them to latch on, obviously conditioner leaves your hair smooth and silky so as I say makes it harder for them to latch on.

Tea Tree Oil but you need the pure concentrate oil, which is approx £3.50, and at the moment in Boots the chemist its buy one get one free on the essential oils (or was yesterday cos i bought some). What you do is add about 3/4 drops of the concentrate oil to your normal shampoo and wash hair as normal, leave on the hair for 4/5 mins and rinse as normal. It is supposed to deter head lice and ive used this for my Daughter since she started school and she has NEVER had head lice even when there has been an epidemic, so I think this actually does work :)
  • Options
    I had a best friend in lower school, who permanently gave me headlice.... I was infested for years because they were so bloody resilliant (sp)...

The one thing that worked, was a comb. It was a battery powered head lice comb that electrocuted the bastards. Used enough times, It kills all signs of life. And, as it's a fine toothed lice comb, it gets out all eggs too...

It was about 25 quid at the time, about 9 yrs ago lol.. From Boots :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    ok i got them a childrens alternative head lice remover from boots (as i was in town ) and she said its working:) its a comb thing and tea tree oil conditione stuff :) Thanxies for your replies :)
  • Options
    Th only way I got rid of them was to wet my hair, smother with lashings of conditioner and comb the fuckers out for about 15 min a times, twice a day for a few days. It always worked way better than any other remedy.
  • Options
    argh, the comb. i had arse-length hair when i was at school, and i think i only got nits the once, but god do i remember the comb :(

and becks is right about doing the whole family. you should really do everyone who comes into contact with her, cause if she's passed it on and you don't notice, that person will keep giving them back to her. and the little bastards can jump, so don't think that just becauce you haven't rubbed heads that you'll be ok.

urgh, my head is itching just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Yeh her family have all checked (i did too) and are ok, think she's just got them so should be ok :thumb: thanxies
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I had a best friend in lower school, who permanently gave me headlice.... I was infested for years because they were so bloody resilliant (sp)...

The one thing that worked, was a comb. It was a battery powered head lice comb that electrocuted the bastards. Used enough times, It kills all signs of life. And, as it's a fine toothed lice comb, it gets out all eggs too...

It was about 25 quid at the time, about 9 yrs ago lol.. From Boots :rolleyes:

Ilora x

Were her initials GR by any chance? Coz she gave them to me in year 10 :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Th only way I got rid of them was to wet my hair, smother with lashings of conditioner and comb the fuckers out for about 15 min a times, twice a day for a few days. It always worked way better than any other remedy.

My best friends little sister gave them to me when I was about 15 :mad: This was the way that I got rid of them... it really does work, and since you can use cheap conditioner, is not too expensive either.