Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

second hand.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i buy quite a lot of things second hand as i like to get a bargain.
second hand means no tax. i refused to let my wife buy me a new wedding ring ...one reason is i can't stand shiny new gold ...i like it when it has smoothed and aged a little. there is also tax on new gold. instead i got a ring that would have cost around 400quid new ...for 100quid ...it's about 50 yrs old and looks very nice.
i'm about to buy a second hand trials bike.
i buy second hand bricks, flags ...reclaimed timber ...save a fortune and get more of what i want and or need. some people can't bring themselves to buy second hand ...what used bargains do you get?

Comments

• Options
    My B.C Rich Warlock guitar. 6 months old, got it for £250, at the time, it should have been £500.

Great deal, and it's in absolutey perfect nick.
  • Options
    I love car boot sales, when i have time to get there.
    I remember my Dad bought our Becks a little kids computer thing for £1, its about 4 years old and still going strong :)

Ive bought lots of second hand things, if i see a good bargain then i buy it and i love to haggle :D
  • Options
    Buy two large Dominos pizzas and get the second one half price.

I still dunno which one the second one is yet though :(

</fat bastard>
  • Options
    Hmm, i dont buy anything second hand i must love everything new and never realised it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    My B.C Rich Warlock guitar. 6 months old, got it for £250, at the time, it should have been £500.

Great deal, and it's in absolutey perfect nick.
    thats the kind of bargain i like! i've got a yamaha electro accoustic ...hundred quid ...lot more new and this is in beautiful condition.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    thats the kind of bargain i like! i've got a yamaha electro accoustic ...hundred quid ...lot more new and this is in beautiful condition.

Sounds bloody decent! Was that from someone you know?
  • Options
    Do any of you ever haggle in shops when buying new stuff ?

Recently i was at this shop buying some floor covering, he had it priced at £39, so i said will you take £30 cash and he said yes. So if you want to try and get a bargain then ask, if they have had a shit day you could get a bargain :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    Sounds bloody decent! Was that from someone you know?
    out of the loot.
    ...and yes becky i haggle.
  • Options
    second hand stuff is cool, i bought a table tennis table that:

when new - £150

when i bought it (from loot) - £30

It was like new aswell, not a single scratch or anything!

Later sold it on for £50 after we did a room conversion, to a place where I can still play it whenever i want!

Bargains :D
  • Options
    I don't like owning anything someone has already owns from cars all the way down to pens, unless I know it has been cleaned thouroughly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Paranoid about something? The Air you breathe has been used by someone you know...

I try not to breathe when I walk past certain people ,as a matter of fact. Smokers usually.
  • Options
    I think if you drive very few miles per year it's better t get a 6 month old car then a brand new one...

My first car was 6 months aold and was an ex-hire car and had about 6,500 on te clock and was always working perfecty. My 2nd car was brand new and had a lot go wrong with it, but most happened at very low mileage BUT after the 1 year warranty had passed.

Having said that - that was over 3.5 years ago and now I'd be more liekly to look at new again because prices have fallena nd many dealer have extras like insurance, included, etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I don't like owning anything someone has already owns from cars all the way down to pens, unless I know it has been cleaned thouroughly.
    disturbing though this may sound ...theres a shop that sells second hand sex toys! how much was it used? how was it used? who used it? has it been cleaned?

...and J ...i'm after one of those bubble cars!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    disturbing though this may sound ...theres a shop that sells second hand sex toys! how much was it used? how was it used? who used it? has it been cleaned?

...and J ...i'm after one of those bubble cars!

I swear that should be illegal.