Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Return policy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate brought the same Linux distro as a me (Suse 9) the other day and were having a right time trying to get his Winmodem to work. His decided to take it back to PC World but I'm not 100% sure if he will be able to take it back. I have suggested for him to swap it for something like Mandrake as I've heard that distro supports Winmodems an is more easy to setup an Internet connection. Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    I doubt he will get a refund out of PC World, they were quite bad when we tried to take something back there once.

He'd be better off getting a proper modem :D
  • Options
    Just came back from PC World... We've gone to speak to someone and told them what's wrong and all they say is, "if it's not faulty we can't give you a refund". Me mate might as well of just given them 35 quid. Rip off twats.
  • Options
    They should exchange it.

Most linux distros are the same essential base, so you should (if one exists) be able to find a driver for the winmodem.
  • Options
    £35 for a modem? My place does them for £15 and even that is considered expensive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    £35 for a modem? My place does them for £15 and even that is considered expensive.

I think it was 35 pounds for hte linux distro. I would have downloaded it myself :D
  • Options
    35 quid is what I paied for this. I would of downloaded RedHat or what ever but I'm only on 56k.

I paied 40 quid for my modem!! It's about the only type that works with Linux. Most of those Winmodem's never work.
  • Options
    Ok, a couple of things regarding returns policies. You should check them before buying. Most shops put them up somewhere, and if you can't see them you should ask an assistant. If it's not a faulty product, they don't have to give you your money back - that's the law. As for compatibility you should check for compatibility with your system and components. The key here is Winmodems, which are designed for Windows, not Linux or any of the Unix derivatives. Does it say anywhere that it should work with them? If so then you may have a point to try and push for an exchange - but even then, if there's no problem with the product, then you're not entitled to money back or even an exchange. It just depends upon their returns policy.
    Under most returns policies the goods must be returned in as sold condition, and often you have to open up a box/packaging, unwrapping or breaking seals, which means it's no longer in as sold condition. So you could be stuffed there too.
    The lesson here is to check for compatibility before buying, and check the companies returns policy.
  • Options
    As for the modems, usually you have to buy a hardware modem, and ensure the modem is compatible with Linux and comes with the drivers. These are generally more expensive, starting at around £25.
  • Options
    My friend's wie bouoght Mavis Beacons typing course version 15 from PC World .. but when it runs on their TFT screen it totally screws up the screen the screen almost folds back on it'self, I think it's setting the PC's resolution and refresh rate to something funny for really old PC's... I wonder if they get a refund..

And I'm still tryingto figure out why your fried paid £35 in the first place instead of downloading it off the net or buying it cheap at a PC fair or something.
  • Options
    Like me and the rest of us round here are only on 56k modems as BT are reviewing our BB signups. That Suse package would take days to download.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I thought it was part of your statutory rights to be given a refund or at least an exhange :confused:

No. You're allowed that if the product is faulty or does not work as described. Anything above that is down to the seller.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    so if I bought a top then got it home to find it didn't fit.. could I take it back and get a refund/exchange.. or is that something else

apologies for going on a detour.. just trying to understand
    Under the retail laws - no. You're not entitled to a refund if you didn't make sure the item was suitable before purchase.
    Different shops have different returns policies. Some may allow you to bring an item back for exchange, or even refund, provided you bring it back in as sold condition, with the reciept, and within the time limit they specify.