Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Something to aid concentration during studying and exams

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm starting a home study program this week for the exams and since I'm at home it is going to be hard t concentrate and stop myself swithching on the PC so does anyone know anything to help? It's for during the exams too.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Lock up the room your computer is in, resist turning it on, cut the internet cable wire..... I should have done this last week when I was meant to be revising for mock exams, but it hasn't happened! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Not even my (poorish) mock AS level grades have helped me.

I've decided college isn't for me, or I should be studying something worthwhile like maths and busiess studies instead of having lessons writing crap from a book, then homework copying from it.

Besdies, I use my PC for homework so it's hard.

Perhaps you're the same :P

If not, I find doing work from aout 2am-6am great - it's cold so I'm alert, and nobodies online :(
  • Options
    What I would suggest is...while your studying, eat a bit of chocolate. It really helps. Dont be in the same room with ur pc cuz then you'll be tempted to take a peek.

Also...this really worked for me. I drink pepsi constantly but when i study for a test, i drink something else..like Root Beer or Sprite. Then when im taking the test...I drink the same one I drank when I was studying. It really does help. If theyll let you drink something when ur taking the test.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Also...this really worked for me. I drink pepsi constantly but when i study for a test, i drink something else..like Root Beer or Sprite. Then when im taking the test...I drink the same one I drank when I was studying. It really does help. If theyll let you drink something when ur taking the test.

:yes:

Theoretically, anything you can do to link the revision and study to the actual test will help you remember the material. Music works well, but obviously you can't listen to music in an exam. Same goes for studying in one room and taking the exam in the same room (I had to prove that for my Psychology coursework) but again if you're studying at home then it makes it difficult.

A friend of mine swears by gingko biloba to 'enhance concentration and receptiveness'. I keep meaning to try it myself, but never get round to it.. :/

But like everyone else has said, try to study away from the computer as much as possible, to avoid the temptation. Try and figure out when you're most alert as well - morning, afternoon or evening - and make the most of it. Don't overwork either - do a little bit often, rather than huge chunks. I don't know how long it is 'til your exams, but if you've got time, try a few different revision methods to see what works best for you.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    I don't know how long it is 'til your exams, but if you've got time, try a few different revision methods to see what works best for you.

Good luck :)

May, so I should have time.

and Blnde_BombShell, we can only drink water. I'm not even sure we're allowed that!
  • Options
    How about maybe going into your bedroom unless your computer is in there then I would suggest going somewhere else, in your house, where the computer isn't located and trying that and if that doesn't work, maybe trying to go to your local library or somewhere where there isn't a computer available that you can just turn it on and get online.

Sorry if I'm not much of a help, but just trying to make some kind of a suggestion that may or may not help you better with your studies, but you can just ignore my suggestion/s if you rather.
  • Options
    The mind can only concentrate at it's optimum level for about 20-30 minutes, so every half-an-hour take a break for 5 minutes thenc ome back to study another topic. It keeps concentration levels up.

That and Pro-Plus:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That and Pro-Plus:p

:chin: Good idea...:p
  • Options
    My mum bought me some stuff from chinease herbalists, i dont know what its called, its some sorta tonic thing, it tastes rank! but works :D
  • Options
    Ginko can help with concentration, but then the effect isnt exactly dramatic.

I wouldnt really recomend large amounts of caffine, it doesnt help, it will shoot your concentration and make your bladder hold about 5ml before you need a pee.

I would recomend Gauranna, its a caffine like substance in a vine from Brazil, it can be bought in Holland and Barrett and is quite cheap. Make sure to get the non-extracted stuff.
  • Options
    I remember, i used to get around not being able to concentrate with these natural oils, used to have a sniff when i was working and in exams.

got them from a shop similar to holland and barret.

I also suggest taking the modem out of your computer. Or getting your mum to hide the phone lead.

A friend of mine used to sware by sucking mints. My secondary school teachers used to tell us to listen to classical music. Lecturers always tell us to eat oily fish.
  • Options
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STUDY ON YOUR BED!!!

but yes 2am till 6am work wonders!
  • Options
    bach rescue remedy, breaks all the time, not forcing yourself too, giving yourself treats and rewards
  • Options
    Throw your internet cable away - I did that albeit by accident but it sure worked in getting my essay in on time!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STUDY ON YOUR BED!!!

*deaf*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    *deaf*

it was an important point though :p