Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pentacles, Satan tops and the like in RE class

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A boy in my school got put out of RE class because he had a top on with TEAM SATAN on the front, one of those jackets with the German flag on the sleeves and a Pentacle around his neck.

The teacher said he was being Anti-Christian.

Was it right to throw him out of class? Personally, I don't think he should have been, not as if he was doing anything bad, he's a Mosher too but I don't really have a clue what that lot are trying to achieve anyway.

Discuss please.

Comments

• Options
    Do they have a school uniform or dress code at your school?

Is it a church school?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Do they have a school uniform or dress code at your school?

Is it a church school?

It is a catholic school, but they changed to non-denomonational in 1998 or something, it still is high on catholicism and they do have a very very bad uniform.
  • Options
    1. He's in school not the street, thats the way, he knows the rules and he broke them. I can bet he would have been gutted if he hadn't got the reaction he was obviously looking for.

Personally I would have called the Greater Manchester Fashion Police. ;)
  • Options
    actually its unfair becaus ehe followed the rules, but was kicked out jus cause teacher was personally offended by it... hypocrate
  • Options
    And wearing a team satan top in a catholic school is just the epitome of bad taste. Dumb ass.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    actually its unfair becaus ehe followed the rules, but was kicked out jus cause teacher was personally offended by it... hypocrate

Aww diddums.

He should have been excluded, not just kicked out. If he isn't prepared to follow the rules of the school he should be invited to find another one. Loser.

And the teacher was indeed correct to be personally offended by it- if it wasn't to create a reaction, why else would he wear those clothes? IF the teacher had thrown him out for wearing a religious symbol then the teacher should have been sacked, but a TEAM SATAN t-shirt is nothing other than bigoted and offensive.

I agree with BlackArab most though- what an unfashionable sad-sack:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Aww diddums.

He should have been excluded, not just kicked out. If he isn't prepared to follow the rules of the school he should be invited to find another one. Loser.

And the teacher was indeed correct to be personally offended by it- if it wasn't to create a reaction, why else would he wear those clothes? IF the teacher had thrown him out for wearing a religious symbol then the teacher should have been sacked, but a TEAM SATAN t-shirt is nothing other than bigoted and offensive.

I agree with BlackArab most though- what an unfashionable sad-sack:p

yeh i agree with that about the fashion well lack of it.... but he hasnt broekn any rules! even he doing it for the sake of it, he hasnt said "fuck religion" or "jesus is a c**t" so he shouldnt be kicked out! he also did follow the uniform rules as it was a jacket
  • Options
    'top on with team satan on the front'

unless I'm reading it wrong
  • Options
    1) If it was against school dress code then I don't see a problem with him being removed from the class, providing it was made clear to him the school's reasons for the action.

2) Going to school dressed like that he was obviously setting out in order to gain some reaction from staff and/or students ... so what did he expect wh=ould happen?

3) Bad dress-sense
  • Options
    i think its right to kick him out.
    i'm off to catholic school next year despite being atheist, however this doesnt mean i'm going to run around going 'everything i should believe to be here i dont, you're all a buncha silly wankers' does it?
    its effectivley like wearing a kkk outfit at a black history month festival
  • Options
    he also did follow the uniform rules as it was a jacket

Itb was a top not a jacket. And even if it was a jacket, normally jackets are not allowed to be worn inside the school building and jackets normally have to conform to some sort of dress code.

If the child doesn't like the uniform he can find a school where he DOES like the uniform.
  • Options
    Any kid who wears a 'team satan' Tshirt is just asking for it... oh and blatantly not a Satanist. Maybe he listens to too much Marylin Manson or Type O Negative or believes that Cradle of Filth sing prophesies through the darkness that consumes him... I dunno. The kid is just attracting trouble to himself behaving in such a manner, blatantly attention-seeking.
    A pentagram in an RE class is asking for trouble really, come on!

May I ask why?

If I had kids who were in school and they got kicked out of class for wearing a pentacle I'd take legal action for religious discrimination.

But then a pentagram is different to a pentacle and is almost worn as a fashion statement these days.
  • Options
    whose right is it to decide the boundaries between (bad)fashion statement and religious symbol?
    hell if he could get kicked out for that, id kick people out for wearing god-loving tshirts cause they really piss me off

PS: that school is also now non demonination... not catholic (not sure if it still technically christian other than name?)

and teacher said they kicked him out for being anti christian.... which is religious discrimination....
  • Options
    I think it would have been a bit extreme to kick him out just for wearing a necklace ... I mean i wear a cross most days & wouldn't like to be made to take that off. And I wouldn't expect anyone else to be banned from wearing other faith symbols either.

Though the trouble perhaps with this 'league of Satan' thing perhaps is that whether you have a faith or you don't I think Satan/Devil is quite a universal symbol for evil ... so I guess it would be possible to argue that promoting nastiness, particularly in a school enviroment, isn't the best idea.

Plus some of this argumenbt also rides on whether or not the school is still recognised officially as a Christian-based school as well. If it is then I guess the pupil (or at least their parents/guardians) would have been aware of that when they sent them there.
  • Options
    whose right is it to decide the boundaries between (bad)fashion statement and religious symbol?

The thing is Satanism is a religion and no, it doesn't involve baby sacrifice, hurting animals or ritual acts of violence. So if the lad truelly was a Satanist then it would be religious discrimination to kick him out. However symbols of Satan of the Baphomet are fashionable because they're seen as being rebellious. True satanism is occultic and I personally doubt followers would shout it out if they followed it.

Personally, if a teacher kicked me out for my pentacle I wouldn't be happy, but then my college is very accepting and you can be open about such beliefs.