Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What should happen to the 5 Brits freed from their illegal imprisonment?

As you will all have heard five of the 9 British citizens illegally held in the Guantanamo Bay concentration camp are to be freed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3505365.stm

Naturally the S*n has already resumed its self-appointed position as the country's judge, jury and executioner and has demanded that the men do not go free when they touch down in Britain.

The Americans actually wanted the British government to promise any prisoner freed by the US must be arrested and detained in Britain. Poor Blair had to break it to them that unlike in Bush's America we still have a democracy in Britain and that it is not up to the government to arrest and imprison people.

As far as I'm concerned unless the men had broken any laws they should not even be detained for one second by the authorities when they arrive. Whether "those who might belong to Al Qaida" might have broken UK laws remain to be seen. But it seems clear that those who simply joined the Taliban, which isn't a terrorist organisation and carried out no attacks or operations outside Afghanistan have no broken any UK laws.

As far as I'm concern they should sue the US for false imprisonment, torture and everything else they can throw at them. And they should get Legal Aid to do this as well. Bigger travesties of justice and disregard for human rights and the law have never been seen.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There should be a public enquiry so we can get facts and not the spin. If they are innocent, it is in the public and their interest for this to be confirmed officially.
  • Options
    So long as it is not conducted by Lord Hutton...
  • Options
    Just a few questions...
    • On what grounds were these people arrested for in the first place? They're all black aren't they?
    • How come having a trial took so long?
    • Were the people badly treated/tortured?
    • How come the base is in Cuba?
  • Options
    I) at least one was fighting US forces at that fort, being in afghanistan not the best place to be, supporting the Taliban, which was a terror-spreading organisation. They're mostly Asian not black

2)dunno - ask US

3) i'd expect them to make that claim, depemds on what you mean by torture

4)leased from Cuba -all above board
  • Options
    1. Apparently fighting the oh-so-righteous US army is now a crime- all conventional rules about war and the Geneva Convention be damned.

It's all the most hilarious/tragic because it was the US that engaged in an illegal war on a sovereign nation.

2. They haven't had a trial. Many of the hostages in Guantanamo will probably be let go eventually without trial, because they have done nothing wrong other than fighting against an illegal, foreign invader.

The others will be facing military tribunals in which the judges are appointed by the US government :rolleyes: and prisoners don't have the right to a lawyer, amongst other things. I tell you- it maks the Taliban's judicial system a model of openess.

3. Yes the people have been horrendously treated, and that includes torture. Have a look at the link on my sig.

4. To exploit the very fact that Gitmo is illegal as hell and in breach of every law in the universe. But they're not in US soil, not as such anyway, so the US government can get away with atrocities more common of brutal fascist dictatorships.
  • Options
    I now recall a report on World at One, R4 from Tipton, residents there had been oppressed by criminal bullying from gangs some of whom later turned up at Gitmo. I saw just now on news they're not going to be universally welcomed back there.

Taliban were child-raping, drug peddling vermin so a useful by product is their removal.

Rejoice for that if nothing else:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    drug peddling vermin so a useful by product is their removal.

The production of heroin has gone up since the removal of the Taliban. The CIA are involved in its production and smuggling according to some sources.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    1. Apparently fighting the oh-so-righteous US army is now a crime- all conventional rules about war and the Geneva Convention be damned.

It's all the most hilarious/tragic because it was the US that engaged in an illegal war on a sovereign nation..

They were also engaged in fighting against British troops.

Therefore they are traitors and guilty of high treason. If they ever do set foot in this country, and I hope they don't they should be shot.

They went to a war zone to train as guerilla fighters against troops from their own country and were preparing to bring the war to this country.
  • Options
    Can it be proved they went there with the intention of fighting British troops? even Ladymuck says that only one was fighting U.S not British troops.

There are hundreds of questions to be asked about this whole situation, that is why we need an enquiry (imo).
  • Options
    Govt. will know what intelligence there is about them, treason is dated and barely applies. Ppl who'd fight for Taliban are dangerous f*cks as those who'd come across them in Tipton seem all too aware
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Ppl who'd fight for Taliban are dangerous
    most didn't have a choice. heres a gun aim it that way ...or die you little shit. i'd say thankyou for the rifle and be looking for whatever chances were coming my way. yet more foriegners invading yet again ...do you honestly expect everyone to lie down and roll over!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Therefore they are traitors and guilty of high treason. If they ever do set foot in this country, and I hope they don't they should be shot.

They went to a war zone to train as guerilla fighters against troops from their own country and were preparing to bring the war to this country.
    As far as I know those people were there before the British announced their intention to join America in an illegal invasion. It is not unfair to say either that those Britons did not encounter a single British soldier during the war, let alone shoot at them.

And no, they weren't about to "bring war to this country". As it happens it was the other way around.

I can't see 'treason' anywhere I'm afraid.

Ladymuck, I'm not one to defend the Taliban and am certainly happy they're no longer around, but to keep facts straight they're not 'child-raping, drug peddlers'.

There is a much larger issue at hand here involving international law or the fact that we supported and put the Taliban there in the first place, and were more than happy for them to kill people and pull out women's nails for as long as they were serving a purpose for the West- but that's been all discussed at length before.
  • Options
    Ladymuck, I'm not one to defend the Taliban and am certainly happy they're no longer around, but to keep facts straight they're not 'child-raping, drug peddlers'

Some Taliban have done the above (C4 d0c, Sumirah Shah)

A Brit going out to fight with Taliban is as morally reprehensible as one who'd have fought alongsides Sadamm's Republican Guard

i hear the returnees are going to be monitored/guarded at huge expense

A one-way flight back to their pont of abduction woould be cheaper, a bit of Afghani justice, perhaps?
  • Options
    Many things are morally reprehensible. The illegal war on Iraq certainly comes to mind. Perhaps we should have expected any soldier with a moral conscience to have refused to serve there?

Unfortunately morally reprehensible acts alone don't constitute a crime. Bottom line is unless it is proven those men have broken the law they have the right to return and carry on with their lives here, if that is what they wish.
  • Options

Not all of them were. I saw on BBC News24 earlier about one of the detainees who was actually in a Taliban prison when captured, he was a web designer from Manchester who fell foul of the Taliban, why was he detained? Because he's Muslim by the looks of it. Make no mistake, a lot of the US see this as a final battle between good and evil between Christianity and Islam.
    And thats scary as fuck. :mad: :(
  • Options
    There should be some sort of inquiry/investigation and if they are found to be Not Guilty of breaking any UK laws then they should be allowed to live there lives in peace.
  • Options
    They should be brought in for questioning as soon as they fly in, if there isn't anything to charge them with, then release them.
    I honestly don't think these 5 are particularly dangerous as no way would have the U.S released them. We know it was supposed to be a favor to Britain, but if they thought they were terrorists that could come back to hunt them, they would be staying in Cuba.
    You can't just hold them indefinitely without trial, it stinks of hypocrisy on the part America, I thought they were the bench mark for freedom, rights, blah blah blah..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Many things are morally reprehensible. The illegal war on Iraq certainly comes to mind. Perhaps we should have expected any soldier with a moral conscience to have refused to serve there?

Unfortunately morally reprehensible acts alone don't constitute a crime. Bottom line is unless it is proven those men have broken the law they have the right to return and carry on with their lives here, if that is what they wish.

We aren't debating the legality of the war, however compared to the Iraqi war I do agree with the war on the Taliban for varying reasons.
    However, regardless of it's legality, ANYBODY who fights, or actively disrupts the activities of soldiers from their own country doing their duty should be severely punished.
    Treason isn't a crime that effects individuals, it is a crime that can, if serious affect everyone in this country.
    A crime like that should carry the death penalty.
  • Options
    No crimes should carry the death penalty.
  • Options
    Treason should. Like I said, it is a crime with the potential to affect the lives of everyone in this country.

How would you treat a supposedly British citizen who set off a dirty nuke in London?
  • Options
    I wouldn't, I'd be dead. As would he presumably. :p
  • Options
    It's all ifs and buts, like everything.

They should be detained whilst they are investigated, and then they should eitehr be charged or they shyould be released.

If they were in Afghanistan fighting against UK troops then they should be tried for High Treason, and jailed accordingly, and if they were fighting US troops they should be thrown straight back to the US authorities. Exceptional circumstances should only be that they were in Afghanistan before war was declared.

They deserve a fair trial, as do the other prisoners in Camp X-Ray. But that's all they deserve until they are found innocent.

Interesting thing about the release though: they were segregated from the rest of the camp. Bet the rumours are that they've been killed...
  • Options
    the plane carrying them here will fall out of the sky ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    They should be detained whilst they are investigated, and then they should either be charged or they shyould be released.
    They don't necessarily need to be in custody while the investigation takes place though... only if the judge deems it necessary.
    If they were in Afghanistan fighting against UK troops then they should be tried for High Treason, and jailed accordingly
    As you and Whowhere have been mentioning this I'd like to bring out something I've been giving some thought about. What constitutes 'treason'? Are the instances in which treason (or rather, fighting against forces under the command of the government that rules the country where you have been born) can be a commendable, or at least justifiable action?

Suppose Britain was taken over by a brutal dictator such as Mugabe. Once the dictator has established himself and there is no doubt that he's the head of state and controls the government and army, would you consider it 'high treason' if there were people out there fighting a guerrilla war against the Army?

My point is that there can be such thing as justification for such a position. If Britain were today under attack from another country and there were Britons at home fighting against the British forces and aiding the invader I think there is little doubt of the act of treason. But what you got here is people who by all accounts appeared to be in Afghanistan well before Britain even intended to go to war against them, and who regardless of their nationality were there to offer support to a community they felt identified with. No one asked the British forces to invade a sovereign nation, and one thing clear as hell is that Britain wasn't under any danger from the Taliban. So regrettable as it is that these people wished to associate themselves with a brutal regime as Afghanistan, I somehow doubt they can be charged with treason for aiding their hosts to fight a foreign invader that happened to contain a few soldiers from the country they were born in.

and if they were fighting US troops they should be thrown straight back to the US authorities. Exceptional circumstances should only be that they were in Afghanistan before war was declared.
    I didn't realise that fighting the US army is now a crime punishable with jail or death.
  • Options
    As I see it, if they are going to fight against the UK Army then they can deal with the consequences of it, if they call themselves British. If they want to call themselves Afghan then I completely support that, and they can be put on the first flight to Kabul.

If they aren't Afghan (or allied to Afghan) they have no reason to be fighting (unless they were forced, etc), and so they can face the consequences of their actions. Those consequences should involve a fair trial and proper charges though, obviously.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The production of heroin has gone up since the removal of the Taliban. The CIA are involved in its production and smuggling according to some sources.

'Sources' eh? The main source being your arse, which you are talking out of!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    As I see it, if they are going to fight against the UK Army then they can deal with the consequences of it, if they call themselves British. If they want to call themselves Afghan then I completely support that, and they can be put on the first flight to Kabul.
    Exactly! 'British' citizens who fight against their own army should be tried.

Alladin you spout some crazy stuff. Knee jerk anti-americanism is the preserve of the French no?
  • Options
    Treason should. Like I said, it is a crime with the potential to affect the lives of everyone in this country.

Sorry if I have completely ignored the rest of this thread, but surely if someone shot Prince Charles tomorrow, they should be treated like any other murderer?
  • Options
    Im surprised Kermy, to hear you actually continuing with the long discredited concept that criticism of the US administration or any administration is anti-Americanism, or anti-British (as the case may be) is surprising indeed. I had long thought you above such typical misnomers spouted by the reactionistic element you allude to (since they have no other intellectually legitimate response other than personal attack).

In point of fact, Al makes a very sound and valid argument. If the UK we're, on its own soil, hijacked by right wingers propped up by the military establishment, would you consider it your patriotic duty to fight against them in the name of the nation you cherish? Would you consider yourself a traitor?

The point is, if the threat we're to British national security (which it wasnt) and these individuals in any way hindered the defence of British soil or aided the invading or ursurping powers, yes that would be treason.

If the UK government is the aggressor in a foreign land which posed no viable threat but which was subsequently ravaged with numerous innocent civilians bombed and shot in order to secure what is in reality the necessary gateway for access to mid-asian gas reserves, then is fighting against that perceived international criminality considered treason? If you are intellectually honest i would hope you would see the difference.

Their actions did not threaten British soil or the civilian population's security, merely the lives of those whom in their thinking were unquestioningly serving an expansionistic imperialistic agenda.

Quite a grey area upon which to be making such absolute pronouncements of "treason".
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    'Sources' eh? The main source being your arse, which you are talking out of!

Its indisputable that the production of heroin has gone up. I see the results on the streets. Do some research.
    And about the CIA - note that I did say "according to some sources.". Not "definitely".