Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Who am I?"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
15312.gif

Yes... I will salute the man, in the manner most appropriate...

brdflick.gif

Comments

• Options
    "Yup, stardork recommend's you to visit "thesite", the place where the "moderate" moderators all quote from Mao's lil red book, while genuflecting before their posters of that revolutionary giant Chump Geuvera...

And? btw? The book and poster reference was in ALL seriousness.

Supplemental mineral injections alter aberrant behavior' "

Anyone care to name the poster who still gets a lot more latitude here than any liberal leaning contributor to his basketcase of a site? Still, 'old age should burn and rave at close of day'... ;)
  • Options
    Re: "Who am I?"
    Originally posted by Globe
    15312.gif

Yes... I will salute the man, in the manner most appropriate...

brdflick.gif
    i find you fucking people quite scary sometimes!
    this is what politics has become and most of you think this is normal and healthy in a democracy?
    i'm old enough to have read science fiction about the 21st century ...the storys wear the lamposts had eyes and ears watching your every move cos your not trusted any longer was the darker side ...what could happen. but if we got it right our futures could be so bright. trouble is with the idealistic ones is that i can't remember how any of them ever got society to a nirvana.
    all i can remember were the dark ones that warned of a world that could come and i'm now sitting in it being watched!
    vote for anyone at the moment and you realy are dreaming some democratic peacfull society soap opera vision of the world. the reality i'm seeing is different than a lot of peoples as to where we are at the moment. am i depressed? no ...i smoke anti -depressants ...
  • Options
    Well I'm convinced Rolly, Kerry won't be getting my vote.

btw whats the story on Edwards, Gunny?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Well I'm convinced Rolly, Kerry won't be getting my vote.

btw whats the story on Edwards, Gunny?

I doubt that Edwards is pertinent to the issue... Only an "act of God" (or a recreation of Sirhan Sirhan) will keep Kerry from the Democratic nomination...

Kerry "greatest claim to fame"? Would be that he virtually single-handedly gave all liberals their view as to "what happened" in Vietnam. The "Winter Soldier" hoax? Is apparently believed by the most of you, especially those such as Whowhere.

Such is the reason Kerry engenders such disgust from the most who served, in that place...
  • Options
    As opposed to the "WMD" hoax, which was treated with scepticism from the start ;)

Btw, Thanny, you don't really need to ignore me, you know. Don't think Topgunny's TROLL ALERT inanities apply over here. You're a free agent, if you want to be... :)
  • Options
    FAO Thanatos

A little riddle for you. Please feel free to pass this on to your chums at mil.com and see what you all "think" of it:

WHO AM I?

PLEASE READ MY ACHIEVEMENTS BELOW AND TRY TO FIGURE OUT COULD I BE

THEN TRY TO FIGURE OUT AND EXPLAIN WHY ANYONE WHATSOEVER IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE COULD POSSIBLY CONTEMPLATE VOTING FOR ME AGAIN

232: Number of American combat deaths in Iraq between May 2003 and January 2004

501: Number of American servicemen to die in Iraq from the beginning of the war - so far

0: Number of American combat deaths in Germany after the Nazi surrender to the Allies in May 1945

0: Number of coffins of dead soldiers returning home from Iraq that the Bush administration has allowed to be photographed

0: Number of funerals or memorials that President Bush has attended for soldiers killed in Iraq

100: Number of fund-raisers attended by Bush or Vice-President Dick Cheney in 2003

13: Number of meetings between Bush and Tony Blair since he became President

10 million: Estimated number of people worldwide who took to the streets in opposition to the invasion of Iraq, setting an all-time record for simultaneous protest

2: Number of nations that Bush has attacked and taken over since coming into the White House

9.2: Average number of American soldiers wounded in Iraq each day since the invasion in March last year

1.6: Average number of American soldiers killed in Iraq per day since hostilities began

16,000: Approximate number of Iraqis killed since the start of war

10,000: Approximate number of Iraqi cililians killed since the beginning of the conflict

$100 billion: Estimated cost of the war in Iraq to American citizens by the end of 2003

$13 billion: Amount other countries have committed towards rebuilding Iraq (much of it in loans) as of 24 October

36%: Increase in the number of desertions from the US army since 1999

92%: Percentage of Iraq's urban areas that had access to drinkable water a year ago

60%: Percentage of Iraq's urban areas that have access to drinkable water today

32%: Percentage of the bombs dropped on Iraq this year that were not precision-guided

1983: The year in which Donald Rumsfeld gave Saddam Hussein a pair of golden spurs

45%: Percentage of Americans who believed in early March 2003 that Saddam Hussein was involved in the 11 September attacks on the US

$127 billion: Amount of US budget surplus in the year that Bush became President in 2001

$374 billion: Amount of US budget deficit in the fiscal year for 2003

1st: This year's deficit is on course to be the biggest in United States history

$1.58 billion: Average amount by which the US national debt increases each day

$23,920: Amount of each US citizen's share of the national debt as of 19 January 2004

1st: The record for the most bankruptcies filed in a single year (1.57 million) was set in 2002

10: Number of solo press conferences that Bush has held since beginning his term. His father had managed 61 at this point in his administration, and Bill Clinton 33

1st: Rank of the US worldwide in terms of greenhouse gas emissions per capita

$113 million: Total sum raised by the Bush-Cheney 2000 campaign, setting a record in American electoral history

$130 million: Amount raised for Bush's re-election campaign so far

$200m: Amount that the Bush-Cheney campaign is expected to raise in 2004

$40m: Amount that Howard Dean, the top fund-raiser among the nine Democratic presidential hopefuls, amassed in 2003

28: Number of days holiday that Bush took last August, the second longest holiday of any president in US history (Recordholder: Richard Nixon)

13: Number of vacation days the average American worker receives each year

3: Number of children convicted of capital offences executed in the US in 2002. America is only country openly to acknowledge executing children

1st: As Governor of Texas, George Bush executed more prisoners (152) than any governor in modern US history

2.4 million: Number of Americans who have lost their jobs during the three years of the Bush administration

221,000: Number of jobs per month created since Bush's tax cuts took effect. He promised the measure would add 306,000

1,000: Number of new jobs created in the entire country in December. Analysts had expected a gain of 130,000

1st: This administration is on its way to becoming the first since 1929 (Herbert Hoover) to preside over an overall loss of jobs during its complete term in office

9 million: Number of US workers unemployed in September 2003

80%: Percentage of the Iraqi workforce now unemployed

55%: Percentage of the Iraqi workforce unemployed before the war

43.6 million: Number of Americans without health insurance in 2002

130: Number of countries (out of total of 191 recognised by the United Nations) with an American military presence

40%: Percentage of the world's military spending for which the US is responsible

$10.9 million: Average wealth of the members of Bush's original 16-person cabinet

88%: Percentage of American citizens who will save less than $100 on their 2006 federal taxes as a result of 2003 cut in capital gains and dividends taxes

$42,000: Average savings members of Bush's cabinet are expected to enjoy this year as a result in the cuts in capital gains and dividends taxes

$42,228: Median household income in the US in 2001

$116,000: Amount Vice-President Cheney is expected to save each year in taxes

44%: Percentage of Americans who believe the President's economic growth plan will mostly benefit the wealthy

700: Number of people from around the world the US has incarcerated in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

1st: George W Bush became the first American president to ignore the Geneva Conventions by refusing to allow inspectors access to US-held prisoners of war

+6%: Percentage change since 2001 in the number of US families in poverty

1951: Last year in which a quarterly rise in US military spending was greater than the one the previous spring

54%: Percentage of US citizens who believe Bush was legitimately elected to his post

1st: First president to execute a federal prisoner in the past 40 years. Executions are typically ordered by separate states and not at federal level

9: Number of members of Bush's defence policy board who also sit on the corporate board of, or advise, at least one defence contractor

35: Number of countries to which US has suspended military assistance after they failed to sign agreements giving Americans immunity from prosecution before the International Criminal Court

$300 million: Amount cut from the federal programme that provides subsidies to poor families so they can heat their homes

$1 billion: Amount of new US military aid promised Israel in April 2003 to offset the "burdens" of the US war on Iraq

58 million: Number of acres of public lands Bush has opened to road building, logging and drilling

200: Number of public-health and environmental laws Bush has attempted to downgrade or weaken

29,000: Number of American troops - which is close to the total of a whole army division - to have either been killed, wounded, injured or become so ill as to require evacuation from Iraq, according to the Pentagon

90%: Percentage of American citizens who said they approved of the way George Bush was handling his job as president when asked on 26 September, 2001

53%: Percentage of American citizens who approved of the way Bush was handling his job as president when asked on 16 January, 2004
  • Options
    You mention he voted for the Patriot Act, a foul piece of legislation if ever there was one.

Do you know how many copies of that there actualy were before people voted on it? All of two.

In the atmosphere at the time, and given the US press's endevor to route out anyone even vaguely un-nationalistic combined with the title of the bill all made it almost impossible for people to vote against it.

But having said that, if they hadnt read it then they shouldnt have voted on it, so there really isnt any defence.
  • Options
    Meet the new boss...
  • Options
    The 'Winter Soldier' reference

A couple of sources just in case like me you went 'Huh?'. These are just a couple of things I've found, google for more if your interested.

http://www.gopusa.com/opinion/2004/kf_0211.shtml - a Republican view

http://www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/VVAW_WinterSoldier.html - academic report

I would disagree about Edwards as he is still in the race and I have read speculation that he could end up as vice-President to Kerry if your nightmare becomes reality. A Sirhan Sirhan scenario would thus make him pertinent to the issue.

(note to people still going 'Huh?' Sirhan Sirhan assassinated Robert Kennedy)
  • Options
    Have to love how the Republican spin machine would sweep all traces of our own war crimes (and those committed in Vietnam are the mere tip of the iceberg of recorded US or US supported atrocities in various theatres of conflict over the past half century) under the rug and out of any official history books.

Of course when it comes to Vietnam, the revelations of Tiger Force's rampage and butchery of unarmed civilians put lie to the myth of terrorism being the weapon only of the weak...

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1008267/posts

Just one of the many demons in the American closet that our nation must one day face up to despite the clamour of hate-filled ultra nationalists who think burying the truth and villifying all national self-examination as liberal propaganda.

That said, the options on offer for this election year increasingly confirm the maintenance (overtly or covertly) of the "don't ask, don't tell" status quo that drives our foreign policy.

The nation's hypocrisy in world affairs wont end soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Have to love how the Republican spin machine would sweep all traces of our own war crimes (and those committed in Vietnam are the mere tip of the iceberg of recorded US or US supported atrocities in various theatres of conflict over the past half century) under the rug and out of any official history books.

Have to love how those of whowhere and the collaborator's ilk base their "war crimes" perspective upon "admissions of guilt" by those who never were in combat, never in country, or never in service.

Exactly WHAT did you observe, within YOUR time in combat?

Urban myth is preferable to reality, when you live within delusion and for a nefarious agenda...
  • Options
    for nefarious agendas see: Bush administration.

Thank you for playing, next contestant please!
  • Options
    You've managed to work out yet who the other mystery identity is Thanatos?

Are you happy to swallow this catalogues of mishaps, calamities, lies and crimes just because you think it is your duty as a god-fearing republican to vote for them regardless of how breathtakingly incompetent and criminal they can be?

Answers on a postcard please.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Have to love how those of whowhere and the collaborator's ilk base their "war crimes" perspective upon "admissions of guilt" by those who never were in combat, never in country, or never in service.

Urban myth is preferable to reality, when you live within delusion and for a nefarious agenda...

Why is it that those guilty of war crimes always believe they were innocent? Or use the age old adage "I was only following orders".
    Who's the sheep? You methinks. It's just a shame we have to listen to your perverted ramblings isn't it.
  • Options

I would find it hard to believe that in any conflict involving any Country there hasn't been war crimes commited. The link quoted three soldiers who were there and I have read numerous first hand accounts where people admitted to them, who were in-country and in service.

I don't for one bit believe that every serviceman was guilty of this in Vietnam but there are always a minority of people in any group without the morality to control themselves. Look at Calley, for example.

If one vet says they happened and another vet denies it what are those who weren't there to believe. Not everybody fights fair, how many times have we seen a fight in the street where someone went too far. The Nam vets may not have had the nature of SS Death Squads but they were human beings and humans aren't always perfect