Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before anyone starts saying "Theres been *SO* many of these threads blah blah blah" Ive done a search and found nothing usefull.

In a few months we've got a prom coming up. We're the first year ever in my school to have a prom, and i obviously wanna look good. Well, infact, I wanna look stunning :p

Anyway, Im after a suitable dress to wear. Nothing big and traditional, but nothing short and skimpy that makes me look like a shlaaaag :(. Im after something sophisticated, classy, but still sexy and chic. I was thinking maybe the top ½ being like a corset top or something, not essential, but Im concious of my stomach so I dont want anything too figure hugging. But then again, nothing too frumpy. I also thought maybe black, again though, doesnt matter if not.

Yah, so, bearing all that in mind, anyone no of anywhere i can get something!? I mean, im not being picky at all, am I!? :p

Maybe the sexxeh Kaffrin could help me out?

Thankies in advance

Comments

• Options
    Re: Dress

Hmmmm, could you be a bit more specific?
  • Options
    for my ball last year i really didn't want the boring dress thing that everyone has. i wanted to look sexy but different. so i bought a matching top and skirt by 'Vicky Martin'. cost £160 in total but everyone was like WOOOOOWWWWWW!! so yeh worth it :p

i'm not sure how available she is because she only really started getting known in the last couple of years but in manchester i can find her in House of Frasier and Selfridges.

i had a skirt the same design as this one except it was brown lace over a light blue material, the top bit was just lace so i had to wear a 'nude' coloured thong. and then i wore a halterneck top to match with just a lace band at the bottom of that.

http://www.choice.co.uk/gus/product.asp?brand=choice&cat%5Fid=15277&zone%5Fid=&prod%5Fid=100060&offer%5Fid=&link%5Fid=&referer=&extra=&inSearch=&search%5Fcriteria=&mo%5Fid=&wl%5Fid=&wl%5Fsec=&fwid=&mscs_sid=G67QNADW48RD8M9NTUU7DUF70FKB291E

perhaps just go into an expensive department store (if you can afford it of course)
  • Options
    suggestions:

something cut on the bias, so it fits your body, but doesn't cling horribly. looks particularly nice with a sheer layer over it. something like this. in a dark colour if you're self-conscious.

or, if you're thinking of a corset, consider a seperate corset and skirt. something like this, only less bridemaidy.

places to look: monsoon, debenhams, occasionally dorothy perkins and oasis.

or i will make you one :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    suggestions:

something cut on the bias, so it fits your body, but doesn't cling horribly. looks particularly nice with a sheer layer over it. something like this. in a dark colour if you're self-conscious.
    i don't think you can get away with a floaty dress like that if you are worried about your stomach.
  • Options
    Yeh i do wanna look fairly different. I was gonna have a look in some shops in Leigh 'cause they're not so commercial and they have some really unique stuff, but its SO over-priced you wouldnt believe. If i can find a nice skirt and top then that would be great...its just finding something that makes people stop and look and say "Wow."

Thanks for the replies girls :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    I was gonna have a look in some shops in Leigh 'cause they're not so commercial and they have some really unique stuff, but its SO over-priced you wouldnt believe.

if you see something you like but it's way too much i'd be able to breach copyright laws for you ;)
  • Options
    if you see something you like but it's way too much i'd be able to breach copyright laws for you ;)
    Heh, I shall keep you in mind Kaffrin :D

I saw one in TopShop ages ago that had potential, but its not on thw website, and I dunno if its still in the store now. I've just been browsing the Debenhams website and saw a nice black dress...buts thats all...it was just 'nice' and ordinary, not outstanding or anything.

*Sigh*
  • Options
    I had a dress from Amanda Wakely (from Littlewoods mail order) for my college leavers ball a few years back. It was black and strapless, with a bodice type top and full skirt. I've had a look for something similar but can't find it now, but I think this is the new season's version:

http://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigation/product.do?SN=162279046&Np=1&versionid=741&categoryid=162279046&thisprod=123798967&product=123798967&D=165044622&Ntt=165044622&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntk=pca_id&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nu=this_product&Nty=1&Page_promo_id=1979538&Mis_item_id=3&Mis_item_loc_id=4

This is £90 - mine was £85, I think.
  • Options
    i like live and die in monsoon and Massimo dutti....perfect dresses...and try Calvin Klein evening wear arent too over-priced and has some real classy dresses like this one i got which is silver and looks amazing on :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I had a dress from Amanda Wakely (from Littlewoods mail order) for my college leavers ball a few years back. It was black and strapless, with a bodice type top and full skirt. I've had a look for something similar but can't find it now, but I think this is the new season's version:

http://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigation/product.do?SN=162279046&Np=1&versionid=741&categoryid=162279046&thisprod=123798967&product=123798967&D=165044622&Ntt=165044622&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntk=pca_id&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nu=this_product&Nty=1&Page_promo_id=1979538&Mis_item_id=3&Mis_item_loc_id=4

ooo that 1 is soo nice!me wants 1..but iv got no prom or anything+never really wear dresses :confused:
  • Options
    I have my 'prom' kinda thing in July aswell and I am not popular in the slightest at school but me and my 'partner' will definately be the best couple there (not because I'm big headed but because we went out with each other for such a long time an recently split up and we were the sweetest couple in school it has to be said! :p and everyone will be so surprised when we turn up together) but I want everyone to be like
    "WOW! Look at her. I never knew she was that pretty"
    kinda thing. Maybe that's impossible but I want to stand out for looking good. My mum is making me a dress because I am tall and slim and basically can't find anything I like and that fits so.......I should have the BEST dress there.......hopefully! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps

This is £90 - mine was £85, I think.

that is gorgeous! :yes:
  • Options
    My sister worked in Monsoon - 75% discount ^_^;;

Thanks for the reminder Ems, I'll have a look around for you. ...I'm such a met :(

Something like this:
    http://www.metrofashion-formal.com/jesmcclinpro2.html

With glam hair, make up, gorgeous jewellery (Next do some fabulous stuff..) and a yummy fragrance, any guy will turn his head. Trust me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    any guy will turn his head. Trust me.

They're stupid if they don't already.
  • Options
    Shhh we'll embarrass her :p
  • Options
    Shhh we'll embarrass her :p

She's used to it from me :p
  • Options
    i had a look on the net, cos i need one myself, and chinease ones are gorge! and also Karen Millen does some very sexy ones!
  • Options
    Found one site with a couple i like

I like the Black Devore one for £65
    The Jasper Conran one for £85
    And the Guy Laroche one for £80
  • Options
    7_Jasper_Conran.jpg

I'd SO wear that with a nice minty turquoise pashmina and a nice minty turquoise clutch bag with matching eyeshadow, audrey hepburn hair and nice chandelier[sp] earrings. Yus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    7_Jasper_Conran.jpg

I'd SO wear that with a nice minty turquoise pashmina and a nice minty turquoise clutch bag with matching eyeshadow, audrey hepburn hair and nice chandelier[sp] earrings. Yus.
    Yah, see, thats what i was thinking. A lovely black dress, and then dress it with colour, ie makeup, bag, etc.
  • Options
    Yah, see, thats what i was thinking. A lovely black dress, and then dress it with colour, ie makeup, bag, etc.

Impeccable taste, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahling. :p
  • Options
    Found one site with a couple i like

I like the Black Devore one for £65
    The Jasper Conran one for £85
    And the Guy Laroche one for £80
    i thought you said you wanted something different :confused:
    but yeh theyre nice
  • Options
    See, that's what I said further up. But replaced colour with gorgeous and fabulous.

I reckon she (Emily) should stay away from bright make up colour. Emily has lovely eyes, so make them stand out by using mascara to extend and curl her lashes (ooo look at me), and some black eyeliner too. If eyeshadow is to be used, keep it pale, or smokey. Focus is on the eyes.

I also think that Emily should have a rosy red cheek look (glam, not I've just gone to the loo and had a quick fuck look) and pale, maybe pinkish lipgloss/stick. Classy, sexy but nothing too over the top.

Hairwise, put it up. Maybe a few curled bits dangling down. Aww :)

Then you can have silver earrings, maybe low hanging. And silver shoes, maybe with straps that go up your legs.

Colour is overrated :p
  • Options
    Stick to the rule of having either:

- Well defined eyes; bare lips
    - Bare eyes; prominent lips

Smokey is alright, but eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone wears it. :\

I saw in Cosmo - which I'm gonna try - to have smokey blue eyes and shocking blue mascara. It looks luverly. :D

And Alix..strappy silver shoes? That's SOOOO 2001! Come on, man. And hair up with curly bits down? That's soooo 2001 too. :\

She wants either a really tidy, sleek Audrey Hepburn, or a messy, kinky-ish bedtime tousled Audrey Hepburn.

I'm swaying on the chandeleir earrings now. I'm thinking simple, yet sparkly studs with a matching braclet and a simple pendant to match.

But, I do think you need a bit of colour when wearing black. `Cause it just looks like you're going to a red-carpet event where it's really a poxy prom where you want to feel diva-ish for the night without looking a pretentious twat. :\
  • Options
    But the lips would be pale, so really it doesn't make a difference but its subtle. We're blokes - we don't know what's last year and what's not. Who cares :rolleyes:

Now if you want to treat the prom as a bit of a laugh which envolves pulling - then my friend Kate has a great outfit. She's not drop dead gorgeous because she wears tracksuites and a lack of make up..but when she came out with us lads once she looked stunning.

She had on a black skirt, it was longer one side than the other, and suede knee high boots. There was a long silver chain on the longer side of the skirt, too. Uhr, and she had a black top on..don't remember much about it.

But she looked stunning :)

Edit: If I were a chick, I'd be outrageously hott. Damn you and your up to date looks *shakes fist*
  • Options
    *wants to go to becky's school of style*

for the hair, i'd go for an up-do that keeps that side swept fringe she has going on. nothing too fancy and structured though. effortless and elegant.

i personally wouldn't do coloured mascara, but a smudge of coloured eyeliner looks fantastic.

and i'm not the greatest fan of black evening dresses. yeah, it's slimming, but it also makes you look kinda dull and drained. a dark blue or red or purple is so much more flattering, and you won't look like every other person there.

and remember that there's nothing so attractive as confidence. and nothing screams confidence like a bit of colour.

still, i'm sure, considering who we're dealing with, she'd look good in a bin bag and wellies ;)
  • Options
    still, i'm sure, considering who we're dealing with, she'd look good in a bin bag and wellies ;)
    Haha, no :p

I did see a nice red dress...I can't remember what site now though. :(

As for the makeup thing, my usual night time look is smokey black eyes, pink shimmery blusher and clear/pinkish lipgloss. I do love the smokey look, but i think it would be nice to mix it with a bit of colour, say for example, pink on the eyelid and then blend black towards the outer edge. I always exaggerate my eyes and make them a feature coz i think it looks better that way.

Thanks for the ideas people, keep 'em rolling ;)
  • Options
    You + me + your parents credit card + shops = idea :p
  • Options
    You + me + your parents credit card + shops = idea :p
    I like :D

Be on the train to Colchester friday, k?
  • Options
    You can, I'm already there =p