Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Piercings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now, I want tragus piercing.

What's the difference between getting it shot in, and pierced, except frrom the price?
Which is better?

Comments

• Options
    piercing guns are evil. they can't be effectively sterilized, and they rip the skin rather than piercing cleanly. which hurts more. and is more likely to cause infection.

i'd definitely get it pierced with a needle. it's usually a little more, but is worth it. especially on a piercing like the tragus.
  • Options
    Cool, that was what I thought.

Just that I was supposed getting it in London (didn't as it was just too expensive, about 25-30 pounds). And then a girl from class got it on her vacation and she paid 5 euros for it. They'd shot it in, and just given her a regular ugly earlobe earring.

Never thought of getting it shot in, until I heard the difference in price. But I'd rather get it done professionally from a piercer and pay more than have it done buy someone in a regular jewellery shop who isn't quite used to the procedure, and probably not as clean.

Now I just need the money to do it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Never thought of getting it shot in
    And you never should think about having it "shot" in. Piercing guns are only designed for one place - ear lobes, and even then some people argue that they're still bad for that. The studs are innapropriate for any other part of the body. You should be pierced with a needle, and have jewelery inserted which should allow room for the swelling.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Piercing guns are a load of crap. They were originally designed for tagging cattle, and were just scaled down for use on humans. Piercing with a gun causes the tissues to be crushed...dont do it!

I got my tragus pierced with a needle, and it has been perfectly fine, no worries at all. :) Just remember not to pick up the phone too quickly and bash it against your ear the day after you get it pierced....that is fucking sore and it bleeds for hours!! ;) :rolleyes:

Oh, and listen out for the "pop" :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven

Oh, and listen out for the "pop" :D

:yuck: that just made me cringe
  • Options
    do not do not do not do not!!! get it shot. Shot piercings are horrible. It just pushes the skin away instead of removing it like the hollow needle piercing does. And also, the tragus is too thick, most places that offer shot piercing will not do it.
  • Options
    Once I want to remove the piercing, how will the scar be?
    Just a scar or a hole?
  • Options
    Whats a tragus?
  • Options
    it will be very visible when you take it out. look much like when a lobe piercing closes up.

a tragus is that small bit in the middle of your ear... can't really explain it
  • Options
    traguspiercing.jpg

thats it there...where the hoop is :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    do not do not do not do not!!! get it shot. Shot piercings are horrible. It just pushes the skin away instead of removing it like the hollow needle piercing does. And also, the tragus is too thick, most places that offer shot piercing will not do it.
    Contrary to popular belief, a piercing needle does not remove tissue — it cuts a curved slit.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Just a scar or a hole?
    That often depends on how well it does in the initial healing period. If you encounter problems such as a keloid, or infection, then you may damage the scar tissue permanently and chances are you'd be left with a scar when the piercing is left to heal up.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Just a scar or a hole?
    The hole will close up, and become nothing more than a faint red blemish in time. There may be a slight depression where it was, but it'll hardly be noticable.
    A girl at work used to have two piercings in her nose, and several in her ear cartlidge. It's been about four years since she's taken them out, and you wouldn't know she'd ever had her nose pierced, or her ears for that matter, as all that's left on her ears are some very small marks which just look like regular, natural, skin blemishes. Hmm, she has cute ears too. I could stroke and kiss them all day long - if she'd let me. :(:D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    This is an inner conch:

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/A40125/high/iam00008282.jpg

Certainly not a tragus piercing ;)

Ilora x
  • Options
    how visible it'll be when you take it out depends a lot on how old the piercing is.

newer piercings tend to heal completely - you can't even see where the hole was on my nostril - i only had it in about 4 months - whereas if you've had the piercing for years there'll probably be a scar there.
  • Options
    my friend had her rook pierced the other day. that sounded horrible when the piercer pushed the needle through. i heard it and i was on the other side of the room:yuck:

i'm not the greatest lover of piercings myself, i've got a tunnel in my ear but thats it. i'm more of a tattoo man ya know.