Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cirmsised

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it true that cirmsision is not as common in Eropean countries as it is in the usa?

Comments

• Options
    do you mean circumcision?
  • Options
    not sure, what majority of men in the us are circumcised
  • Options
    i think its more common for men to have it done in foreign countries, i know some people think it is unclean (in a religious view) if they arent circumsizsed! (dont know how to spell it lol).
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    It's supposed to be healthy, it's a Jewish tradition as far as I know and you get it done when you become a man probably after learning a certain ammount from the Torah or something.

actually...you get it done when you are a baby, on the 8th day, which is the same day the child was born, but a week later.

oh, and its not "healthy" as such, its done to visual resemble the covenant between God and the Jewish people

and most Jewish people live in America, so that would be a factor as to why circumcision is more common over there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Fair enough, I just remember seeing a programme about it on TV in which it was shown as happening later on in the lads life.

maybe he was converting or something :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Still doesn't answer how the hell I was circumsised and my parents didn't know about it.

now that wrong! im not sayin circusision is wrong, im sayin to do it without your parents permission is wrong
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mel-H
    now that wrong! im not sayin circusision is wrong, im sayin to do it without your parents permission is wrong

I was gonna say i am circumcised but, since i was a week old i didn't really have much choice in the matter and nor did my parents as it was for medical reasons and i have no complaints and neither does my gf :naughty:
  • Options
    most the lads have it done here...religious reasons again...here being islamic but like yeh...who gives....i mean does it make that much difference?
  • Options
    i only know of one guy who has it done, a cousin because it was too tight or something when he was a baby
  • Options
    It depends!

In Islamic countries, men are circumcised since it says so in the Koran.

Personally I think removing the foreskin is superfluous! All is required is to regularly wash the foreskin as not to let it get dirty!:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    and most Jewish people live in America, so that would be a factor as to why circumcision is more common over there.

Yeah, that's just a factor though. In America it's very very unusual to be uncircumsised, whereas over here most guys are not circumsised. It's just the way American society has evolved different to ours. *shrugs* I've never heard of any of my mates being circumsised, or being with guys who are circumsised. In fact, I don't know of anyone who's circumsised, but I don't suppose you'd really go shouting it from the rooftops or anything. (Not that it's a bad thing, it's just something people don't really talk about in everyday conversation).
  • Options
    Re: cirmsised
    Originally posted by my_name
    Is it true that cirmsision is not as common in Eropean countries as it is in the usa?

It's true that it is not as common in Europe as it is in the USA but the number of parents in the USA circumcising their babies is falling. Fifteen or so years ago, around 90% of US baby boys were circumcised but today it's beleived to be around 65% and falling.

There is no need to circumcise babies if they are taught simple hygiene ... i.e. wash under your foreskin at least once a day. If health and hygiene was such a mitigating decison for circumcision, then more Europeans would routinely circumcise their boys. Being European doesn't mean that we are medically backward.

Circumcising babies means that they often grow up with a desensitised glans (head of the penis) due to a thickening and keratinising of the normally soft and sensitive skin. Although this can be an advantage against premature ejaculation, it does mean that some sensitivity is lost but for most circumcised men, because they don't know any different, do not find this a problem and have satisfactory sex lives.