Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

depressed... yes or no to anti-depressants?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, many people may have already posted stuff on this, but anyway...

I get kinda low a lot. I've had a few major problems within the last few months- family crap, and split with this guy i was totally in love with. along with that, all my work, and everything I've felt really low for a few weeks now.

Thing is, I'm not sure how depressed I am, and whether I shud get help or not. I can laugh, and be happy with mates, and I've been going out a lot to try and get stuff off my mind. But in the end I always have this empty feeling inside, and when I'm alone I feel really bad. I've considered anti-depressants, but people say that they can sometimes mess you up. is this true?
Should I go to the doctors, or just wait it out?

Comments

• Options
    i'd definitely go to the doctors. there are so many ways they can help you out these days. they'll be able to advise you, maybe refer you for some counselling or therapy, depending on what exactly is wrong.

antidepressants, however are a different matter. it's a totally personal thing. there are people on here who swear by them, and would recommend them to anyone, then there are people who think they're evil. then you have people like me, who hate them but recognise that sometimes they're necessary.

i think, personally, that if you're in a situation like yours, it's best to try some counselling before you have to resort to drugs. it sounds like it's not you yourself that is the problem, it's the things that are happening around you. and sometimes it can do wonders just talking through what's happening with a professional, sort things out in your head a little bit. and counselling doesn't have any dodgy side effects.
  • Options
    I agree...try counselling first.

I was talking to a group of friends the other day and I was the Only One of us not on some kind of anti-depressant. The way they talked about it they switch their pills like mad until they find one that didn't fuck them up when they tried to come off them...I mean ... if you are going to come off them all the time, why are you taking them.

I do think that some doctors will prescribe pills when they aren't really needed and then you're trapped.

Depression is crap though so give yourlef some TLC and learn to let go of the things you can't control.
  • Options
    Go down to the doctor's and talk to them about it, they'll be able to decide if you actually are depressed or if you're just having a hard time of it. Either way you'll be able to get help from them, even if you don't want to go on ADs.

I think ADs are a very goodf short-term solution to depression, but they are only useful for a very short time. Without getting to the root of the problem they are useless, so if you can get to the root of the problem without needing to be stabilised by the drugs then that is preferable.

Does your college or school offer counselling, if they do it might be worth trying to see a counsellor there first.
  • Options
    Umm my school might do actually. But yeah I think what you've said is best, the only thing is I've gotta scrape up the courage to go and talk to someone!

Thank you for your help everyone, byny I will try and do what you said and make myself happy....just hope it'll work, it seems like every time I do something fun, in the end I go back to being unhappy. I'll do my best.
  • Options
    hey there
    Sorry to hear that you're not feeling so good. Treatment for depression is a very personal thing and it's hard for any of us to tell you what to do, however the best thing you can do is keep thinking through your options and being aware of how you can tackle your problems. Remember that there are always people who will listen without judging you - sometimes it's better to speak to someone outside of your life so they can be as non-biased as possible. If there is no one close to you that you want to talk to, try the organisations below who are trained and experienced in helping with these situations:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500
    www.careline.org.uk

Depression Alliance
    Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Telephone: 020 7633 0557; www.depall.org

SANELINE
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems. The service is open from 12 noon until 2am.
    Telephone: 0845 767 8000 Website: www.sane.org.uk

Good luck and take care

Hannah Spanner xx
  • Options
    Re: depressed... yes or no to anti-depressants?
    Originally posted by ryoko_rock
    Thing is, I'm not sure how depressed I am, and whether I should get help or not. I can laugh, and be happy with mates, and I've been going out a lot to try and get stuff off my mind. But in the end I always have this empty feeling inside, and when I'm alone I feel really bad. I've considered anti-depressants, but people say that they can sometimes mess you up. is this true?
    Should I go to the doctors, or just wait it out?

i'm there. and couldn't have put it better myself. i'm just trying to build up the courage to go and see the doctors. i just feel almost fraudulant i suppose, i feel down sometimes and then when i don't it's as if everything is fine. i know i should go. just i keep persuading myself out it. i don't know. for, it's just such a big step.
  • Options
    Re: Re: depressed... yes or no to anti-depressants?
    Originally posted by buzz
    i'm there. and couldn't have put it better myself. i'm just trying to build up the courage to go and see the doctors. i just feel almost fraudulant i suppose, i feel down sometimes and then when i don't it's as if everything is fine. i know i should go. just i keep persuading myself out it. i don't know. for, it's just such a big step.

Firstly thank you Spanner, having some numbers is a good place to start.

And buzz, I'm glad there's someone else out there like me!! I'm scared to go to the doctors too, cos I feel like maybe I'm just making a big deal out of stuff. But i really do get so low, I'm thinking I need to sort stuff out.

Arg I just agreed2work 3 full days in my half term week, meaning ive only got one free day....that was a bit stupid of me, i hate working :( but i need the money. arg more depressin crap!
  • Options
    I was so glad to see ur topic..... was planning on starting one about this myself...... I'm in the same situation in that i can go out with mates and have a good time but feel so low when im alone..... even to the point that when i tried to discuss how i feel with a friend she dismissed it as 'ur not a depressed person ur always happy' but dont people realise that depression isnt something which is obvious 100% of the time.

I decided it's time to get help. But my only worry is how do i bring it up at the doctors.... i can't exactly walk in there and say 'i think i have depression'....... but ive done a lot of research on the symptoms etc (im studying psychology at uni) and i fit every single one.... so should i just tell my gp the symptoms and wait for her to suggest it?

sorry for being so weird i just worry too much......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil_one
    I decided it's time to get help. But my only worry is how do i bring it up at the doctors.... i can't exactly walk in there and say 'i think i have depression'.......

self diagnosis isn't a good idea. even if you know a lot about the subject.

however, there's a difference between feeling depressed and having depression. one is a symptom, one is a condition. in my experience it's best to go to the doctors with your symptoms rather than telling them what you think you have.

so you could say something like 'i've been feeling depressed/down a lot lately and it's starting to affect my life'. and go from there.
  • Options
    Well don't we all think alike?? I was thinking the same thing, how do I just walk in and tell em how I feel.

But Kaffrin, ur advice sounds good... my only problem is i hate going2the doctor! im never really ill, so im not used2going, and i get all scared :-s
  • Options
    Originally posted by ryoko_rock
    Well don't we all think alike?? I was thinking the same thing, how do I just walk in and tell em how I feel.

But Kaffrin, ur advice sounds good... my only problem is i hate going2the doctor! im never really ill, so im not used2going, and i get all scared :-s

Just be honest. Go in and sit down and say that you've been feeling really down for a while, and the doctor will ask you things in order to make a diagnosis. The doctor will be a great help, trust us, and will suggest things- don't feel pressured to take any option if you don't want, though counselling would be a good option to take, as would ADs if your moods are very unstable.