Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

pg test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey just wondered if the doc does a pregnancy test can they tell you there and then if you're pg or does it take longer?

just trying to decide whether to get test or not, as i already have a docs appt for wednesday.

thanks muchly :)

Comments

• Options
    i went to an ordinary docs appointment and mentioned i needed a pregnancy test. he told me to come back the next morning with a urine sample and then i'd find out a bit later. wasn't as straight forward as i thought it would be. never went ahead with it though so don't know for sure.

why don't you ring up the receptionist and ask her what the procedure is.
  • Options
    yeah good idea, i'm going cos i've been feeling ill for the past few weeks, really sick ALL the time, what i thought was a period came for a day, was really light but after the day it was gone, and ive never had a period before thats only lasted a day!! :(

i thought that the doc might test for pregnancy first off because of my symptoms? :confused:
  • Options
    In America we have clinics you can go to and get a free test. You just go in a cup, and it only takes about ten minutes. A urine test isn't as accurate as a blood test though, which your physician should be able to do. I've done one of those also and it only took maybe an hour to get that back. Hope all is well.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Hiya,
    Normally when you get a pregnancy test at the doctors they'll tell you the results during the same appointment.

If you've got questions about the procedures you can call the fpa on 0845 310 1334, they'll be able to talk you through exactly what happens and they'll also be able to tell you about clinics you can go to to get a test if you'd rather not go to your GP.

Good luck,
    CB
  • Options
    a year or so ago, my doctor got it into his head that i was pregnant (god knows why, considering i'm on the pill and use condoms too) and he made me have a couple of pregnancy tests, and the results took 3-5 days to get back to me.

and then when i went in for the results, the receptionist announced it to the entire reception with an air of relief, which pissed me off.

so yeah, my point is it's a good idea to ring the surgery and ask them how long it takes to get pregnancy test results, just so you're not waiting forever.

and you know those home tests are so accurate now that when my brother's girlfriend did a home test and it came back positive, her doctor didn't even bother testing her again, he just took her as pregnant. they're like 99% accurate or something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    a year or so ago, my doctor got it into his head that i was pregnant (god knows why, considering i'm on the pill and use condoms too) .

I'm 5 months pregnant and was on the pill and using condoms so it does happen!!:D

I did 2 home tests, both of which were positive then went to the docs. Test results took 5 days but i had to wait over the weekend. I got the results on the phone tho, didn't have to go in or anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and then when i went in for the results, the receptionist announced it to the entire reception with an air of relief, which pissed me off.
    What the hell? that's so completely rude.... and illegal... i would have chucked a shit... imagine if girls from school had been there when it had happened... i woulda sued his ass. That's very private information.
    The receptionist shouldn't even know!!
    that's so completely wrong, lol sorry i'm just as annoyed now.
  • Options
    when ive been to the docs for a test, i saw the nurse and she told me there and then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by SeventhWave
    What the hell? that's so completely rude....

:yes:

the thing that annoyed me was that i was 21 at the time, my brother's girlfriend (who is the same age as me) had just had my nephew, and the reception woman said it like it was a relief i wasn't pregnant.

for all she knew i could have been trying for a baby.

i was quite relieved, but that's not the point.
  • Options
    still..... thats so wrong :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by hotphoenix
    I'm 5 months pregnant and was on the pill and using condoms so it does happen!!:D

I did 2 home tests, both of which were positive then went to the docs. Test results took 5 days but i had to wait over the weekend. I got the results on the phone tho, didn't have to go in or anything.

so much for the effectiveness of contraception!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    when ive been to the docs for a test, i saw the nurse and she told me there and then.

Yeah, if you go to a family planning clinic (or at our one anyway) you just pee in a wee bottle thing, and they put a stick thing in it and test it right there. *shrugs* But the doctors ones are more accurate I suppose.
  • Options
    For me it took between 3 - 5 days but that is considerin whther or not you do it just before the weekend.

(for example, if you go on monday, you will get it back in the same week, opposed to if you go on thursday)

good luck anyway, whatever you wish the outcome to be Sugar

:D