Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do people use harder stuff ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, of late you people in the drugs forum have been giving a lot of info re drugs, which has been interesting stuff actually.

So anyways couple of questions :)
Why when people know a drug is addictive do they start using it ? If you just smoke and thats ok I cant see the point in starting with other stuff. You all are aware of different drugs and wether they are addictive so im just curious as to why people do actually turn to stuff like this when you could get hooked.

For a drug user who is addicted what is it actually like for them to withdraw from drugs ? How long would it take for them to come clean ?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Why do people use harder stuff ?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Ok, of late you people in the drugs forum have been giving a lot of info re drugs, which has been interesting stuff actually.

So anyways couple of questions :)
    Why when people know a drug is addictive do they start using it ? If you just smoke and thats ok I cant see the point in starting with other stuff. You all are aware of different drugs and wether they are addictive so im just curious as to why people do actually turn to stuff like this when you could get hooked.

For a drug user who is addicted what is it actually like for them to withdraw from drugs ? How long would it take for them to come clean ?
    hard question to answer. when you experience weed and ecstacy ...it's like WOW! so your curiosity is aroused as to where else your mind and feelings can go. drugs open your mind unlike alchol. they are called mind expanding drugs for a reason. i tried heroin cos i guess i've always been a risk taker ...i knew i was and have always been a very strong person so i knew i wouldn't take it far enough to get addicted ...how wrong could i have been. you have to have at least one hit a day for about a month before you become addicted to heroin. i avoided doing that but ...there was something about the stuff that i couldn't resist. i felt like i had come home for the first time in my life ...i was where i belonged ...this is how i wanted to feel all the time. it quite a long time before i was drawn into using the stuff every day but eventualy i was and i was hooked for years. when i packed it in i was very ill for about a month and then like magic ...fit as a fiddle and raring to go ...this is where some go back. i didn't.
    people take drugs because they are a fantastic journey into your mind ...into your very soul if you like ...they are very magical and you still perform ...work etc ...nothing like alcohol.
    tonight i have smoked two different kinds of cannabis ...weed (herbal) and resin (block) the inside of my head feels like it's all lit up. my body feels fantastic. if i close my eyes i have muti coloured
    images of absolute beuty and awe ...i open them and feel very giggly and my mind thinks very deeply.
    if some emergency happens i'm perfectly capable of handling it.
  • Options
    Plus you cant ignore the fact some people are just destined to fuck up in life with no intention of changing.
  • Options
    Theres the whole 'it could never happen to me' thing...

People move to the most beautiful areas, with beautiful views from their bedroom window.. or a buzzing city such as San Francisco, yet these areas could be right next door to an active volcano, or on a quake fault. People weigh up the pros and cons, the area is amazing although there is a possibility of a natural disaster. They still mvoe there because it 'will never happen' to them.

Same with drugs, they hear how amazing and beautiful they can be, or how fun.. they know about the risks of addiction but 'it will never happen to me'

Sometimes people try cannabis, think its crap.. its nothing like they thought and it doesnt give them the experience they were looking for in drugs, so they try a more sure fire way of experienceing it-though harder drugs.

Some people love cannabis, but soon find that the high's not enough anymore, it doesnt effect them so much and they get bored. Could be puffing away for hours and it doesnt feel the same as when they first start so they go on to harder drugs.

People might be risk takers, maybe thats why they try it, for the risk.

Some people, really dont give a flying fuck about whether they get addicted, they dont care, theyre looking for an escape and if that escape from life comes at a price then so be it.

With regards to the withdrawing from drugs and coming clean, you cant say. Nobody can truely give an estimate to the legnth of time it takes, it depends on the drug, the effect its already had on the mind/body, depends on the health and mentality of the person, it depends on their attitudes and how long theyve been taking said drug for.
  • Options
    Why did you start smoking Becky, knowing its addictive and dangerous?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Theres the whole 'it could never happen to me' thing...

People move to the most beautiful areas, with beautiful views from their bedroom window.. or a buzzing city such as San Francisco, yet these areas could be right next door to an active volcano, or on a quake fault. People weigh up the pros and cons, the area is amazing although there is a possibility of a natural disaster. They still mvoe there because it 'will never happen' to them.

Same with drugs, they hear how amazing and beautiful they can be, or how fun.. they know about the risks of addiction but 'it will never happen to me'

Sometimes people try cannabis, think its crap.. its nothing like they thought and it doesnt give them the experience they were looking for in drugs, so they try a more sure fire way of experienceing it-though harder drugs.

Some people love cannabis, but soon find that the high's not enough anymore, it doesnt effect them so much and they get bored. Could be puffing away for hours and it doesnt feel the same as when they first start so they go on to harder drugs.

People might be risk takers, maybe thats why they try it, for the risk.

Some people, really dont give a flying fuck about whether they get addicted, they dont care, theyre looking for an escape and if that escape from life comes at a price then so be it.

With regards to the withdrawing from drugs and coming clean, you cant say. Nobody can truely give an estimate to the legnth of time it takes, it depends on the drug, the effect its already had on the mind/body, depends on the health and mentality of the person, it depends on their attitudes and how long theyve been taking said drug for.
    i like this minx ...very good and clear imo.
    not like the zen aproach in the other thread!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why did you start smoking Becky, knowing its addictive and dangerous?

I started smoking almost 30 yr ago, beleive me we were not informed of the dangers like today. If I was a teenager today then I dont think I would have started in the 1st place.

Thanks for them replies, im just trying to find out bits as I go along. Ive no interest in using but if people are made more aware of things then its got to be a good thing :)
  • Options
    People tend to try other drugs because they want to experiment, they try drinking and cigs, then cannabis then onto pills, powders and others if they want, others go into research chemicals and exotic plants.

That's true, i've tried other drugs than cannabis and don't feel the urge to try any of them, not addictive at all.

Cannabis though i think is one of the most MENTALLY addictive drugs out there, the whole process of going and skinning up, having a laugh, a smoke, that's the whole thing about it...it's not physically addictive at all and you can function normally without and with it might i add.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i like this minx ...very good and clear imo.
    not like the zen aproach in the other thread!

:lol: it was sunday morning.. i think one out of two aint bad!
  • Options
    Thanks for them replies, im just trying to find out bits as I go along. Ive no interest in using but if people are made more aware of things then its got to be a good thing :)

:yes: definately.. good attitude to have!
  • Options
    there's only one reason why people do them and thats because they realise that once we all die we're going six feet under and you might as well go out with a bang. well thats my justification.
  • Options
    So when is the point that someone realise drugs are taking their life over ? Like they look forward to their next shot ?

I know nothing really, even considering I have a brother who was addicted. I dont even know if he is still addicted, but he broke our family up.
    Him and his selfish self, who was always ME,ME,ME,

Im quite bitter with him tbh. He only wants us when he needs us and im sorry but whne he was on drugs he used to take the piss.

I dont wanna go in detail but he was a frigging idiot and he used and abused people.
  • Options
    Drug addiction does tend to numb your emotions thats probably why he was shitty to everyone. I guess if you make it a daily part of your life or even your "entire daily life" thats when theres no going back you need the drug desperately.

I doubt a addict never "looks forward" to a fix its more relief they`ve managed to get that fix in the first place.
  • Options
    So when is the point that someone realise drugs are taking their life over ?
    not till too late unfortunately. like the alcoholic who refuses to see they have a problem. in the trade it's called denial.
    yes addicts become very selfish. they can no longer love or care propperly ...for themselves or others. simply because life becomes medicaly desperate. if you have endless supplies of money or if your prescribed heroin then this just doesn't happen.
    the constant worry is where your next hit is coming from and when. this thinking is all consuming. when it's prescribed or you have a giant bag of the stuff stashed away ...you wake up in the morning feeling fine and secure ...you are thinking about visiting granny or taking the kids to school. addicts actualy hold good jobs down and can be reliable people.
    in the first world war it was noticed that alcoholics and addicts in the trenches were often the bravest and the people who would give or share their last ration. they would put their own lives at risk to save others. why? because the alcoholic and the addict have had so many daily problems to deal with that they are excellent problem solvers and risk takers. people have the impression of all addicts sitting in a stupor all day long ...if that were true they would never get the money for the next fix. addicts are very resourcful people on the whole. unfortunately for many of them, the easiest way is crime but they need maybe £500 quid a day!
    i wish i could find a way of being as determined and motivated when i was an addict now ...without the driving force of addiction.
    i'd rule the world!
  • Options
    So when is the point that someone realise drugs are taking their life over ? Like they look forward to their next shot ?

I know nothing really, even considering I have a brother who was addicted. I dont even know if he is still addicted, but he broke our family up.
    Him and his selfish self, who was always ME,ME,ME,

Im quite bitter with him tbh. He only wants us when he needs us and im sorry but whne he was on drugs he used to take the piss.

I dont wanna go in detail but he was a frigging idiot and he used and abused people.

Ive met plenty of addicts like that, all been addicted to cocaine, alcohol with a few heroine addicts who meet that description.. its just what certain drugs do to you. Coke addicts are some of the most self absorbed people, alcoholics seem to cut off those who love them.. Its just hard to see sometimes what youre doing to those that love you, its hard to see the love, you can just get angry at them. End up in your own bubble of self pity and anger at the world. Its hard to get a real grasp over life when youre addicted. Its like having blinkers on, all you can see is a way to get your next fix. You cant see around you to notice the damage its caused. Its very hard for some addcits to be empathetic to others emotions.
  • Options
    The thing with some addicts though, is that they push away or refuse to admit they have a problem, or refuse to accept help so many times, that the friends and family cant deal with it anymore, understandably. And in the end they break the ties with the addict. I can fully understand this. The thing is though, once those ties have been broken and once theyve washed their hands of the addict, s/he then has no support, no reason to clean up and it can make it ten times worse.

At the moment, im sitting just waiting for my boyfriend to become addicted to crack again, ive been there once before and it tore me apart, im just waiting to have to cut him out of my life. I feel bad because i wont be there to help him. But he cant drag me down again. As much as i want to be strong and be there for him, it is hard. And that is sometimes why addicts dont seem to ever clean up, nobody will give them the time of day again. They have no reason. Apart from for themselves, but thats not a good enough reason to many.
  • Options
    Well I cant say I was a massive addict or anything but I did have a bit of a problem with amphetamine and I'll try and give you a little run down on how it happened.

I'd been using puff for quite a few years and then I started going out clubbing and as you do got involved with pills and speed. I met a dealer and we became mates and through him I used to buy my stuff.

First of all it was just beans and the odd bit of amphetamine for going out clubbing. Then as I went to uni I got my loan cheque and I had 1000 quid burning a hole in my pocket. So I thought, why not buy a larger amount of beans, get them cheaper.

So I bought 100 beans and 1/2oz of base. The beans I had no problem with at all, I could always decide when to do them and when not, but the base was slightly different.

Since the first time I did speed I've always liked it, it makes me feel, normal, lively, happy, good. So a few times when I was especially tired I did some in the mornings before uni.
    The every now and then became every other day, and then I bought 1oz with my next loan cheque.

The every other day became every day, you kind of realise that its becoming a bit of a habit, but as long as you have lots left theres not a problem. I was still getting good grades at uni (the best in my class) and I was still gettting on fine with my mates.

It was when I ran out it became an issue, I met my now mrs at the same time and basically I decided not to buy anymore. She knew I was a user at the time and she helped me to stop.
    I wasnt a total wreck or anything, but I was half alseep for about 2-3 weeks afterwards, wanting speed BADLY all the time. The pangs of desire eased off after about 2 months and it took about a year till they werent at least every other day.

Minxy; Good luck, whatever happens, you dont deserve shite.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    The thing with some addicts though, is that they push away or refuse to admit they have a problem, or refuse to accept help so many times, that the friends and family cant deal with it anymore, understandably. And in the end they break the ties with the addict. I can fully understand this. The thing is though, once those ties have been broken and once theyve washed their hands of the addict, s/he then has no support, no reason to clean up and it can make it ten times worse.

but theres a thing known as tough love ...it's where you make it perfectly clear to the addict that you'll do anything to help them stop but nothing to help them continue ...same with alcoholics. helping them stop means getting them to medical appointments ...a place in rehab etc.
    but ...you have to refuse to lend them money ...feed them ...put them up ...pay their bills ...save them getting eicted etc ...otherwise you are enabling their addiction by shielding them from the results of their own actions. they have to be forced to face up to the fact that they have no food in the cupboard becuase of their own actions. when they hit rock bottom is when they realize what they are doing to themselves and those around them. rock bottom is a good place to pick up the pieces. as well as your kindness and love enabling them to destroy themselves ...you are also enabling them to control you and bring you down. the damage a desperate addict can wreak for those around them can be horrendous. like a hand grenade going off in a room full of crowded people ...evryone suffering the shrapnel wounds while you shield them from reality by donating money and food etc.
  • Options
    Yep, what looks like helping on the face of it a lot of the time is actually feeding their addiction.

Minxy, I'm sorry you have to face that kind of ugly situation at your age, or at any age for that matter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but theres a thing known as tough love ...

Oh of course... a good point, but the thing is it doesnt work for everybody. Some people refuse to work with and accept tough love.

And, i can understand why family members give up on the tough love. If i ever became absorbed completly in drugs, god forbid, i hope my family would stand by me and treat me with tough love etc to the end. But i would understand entirely if they didnt. Drugs can destory the families' lives much mroe than the users.

Bongbudda... youre a very strong person. I admire that.
  • Options
    Minxy; I'm not that admirable, I am really quite a lazy person, in fact my mrs was just saying that last night, same as virtually every teacher I've ever had;

"Your smart but you dont apply yourself because your lazy...bla bla"
  • Options
    lol women like to say things like that. women think if they put pressure on a bloke it will help them. Very few blokes see it like that though!

I do think youre admirable, even if you are a lazy git, you got through dependency.
  • Options
    I dont want to make too much of it, because as I said, I didnt have a massive addiction, I wasnt shooting the stuff up or anything.

But, well it was hard, it was a long time before my response to something hard wasnt 'I really want some speed'.
    Drugs are easy, they are an easy answer, its a quick result, you know what your going to get, I was tired, I did some base, I felt good.
    They are much easier than real human relations, they have a tendancy to go a bit sideways after a while though. The standandised reaction you rely on doesnt turn up and you do more, then you get more of the side effects and less of the positives.
  • Options
    :yes: very well put.

Addiction is an addiction, whether to TV, coffee, speed - to each individual person getting over it is VERY hard. Dont sell yourself short. You overcame it.
  • Options
    Well not completely, I still have a big soft spot for speed, I cant have it in the house, I dont trust myself. But as long as its not about I'm fine.
  • Options
    How many ex alcoholics are strong enough to sit in a pub with their mates? Those who can have been off it for years and years.
  • Options
    Good point, I just wish I didnt have the tolerance anymore, it makes going out expencive.
  • Options
    Thats why im proud of being a lightweight. :D