Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Hazard Perception Test is...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A load of bollocks!!! I failed it today, 33 out of 75. I got 35/35 for the theory. Go figure? This whole scoring window is absolute bullshit. I reckon I was noticing hazards too early, and thus never got the points for the clip. I've written a formal complaint about the scoring system to the dsa, but it won't do much good a reckon. Other people who've done this pile of shite, what did you think of it?

Comments

• Options
    Aww, bad luck KofG. Did you have the CD-ROM to practice the clips on, as well as the questions? I just did the Theory test - got 34/35 and 63/75. I think the scoring is a bit down to luck really. You're only scored for developing hazards, not hazards themselves, and surely every person's perception of hazards is different? I clicked whenever I saw something that would make me slow down/change gear/alter course, and if I thought I clicked too early, I did it again when a hazard was obviously coming up, just to make sure!
  • Options
    I got the roadsense video (which is shit, don't buy it...) and thought that would be ok. The galling thing is I noticed all the developing hazards, and ignored any stationary hazards (unless I thought it was going to become a developing hazard) and in plenty of time as well, but maybe just too early. I'm really pissed off and just sent a scathing reply to dsa complaints dept on the net. Grrr... Another £20.50!!!!
  • Options
    So is this now a new thing you have to do aswell as Theory & practical?
  • Options
    you get penalised if you click too much too!

I'm hoping to pass my test before my theory test runs out so I don't have to do the Hazard perception test
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    So is this now a new thing you have to do aswell as Theory & practical?

You do the theory bit; which is the highway code stuff. Then you do a hazard perception bit where you watch a computer screen. It's like you're sat in a car and you have to click the mouse when you see a hazard.

I agree, it is a load of rubbish. I only passed mine by 2 marks; and I thought I'd done quite well :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I passed today (I got 55 in the hazard perception) so I don't care. :D
  • Options
    I passed but not by much compared to my theory. I got a lot of advice beforehand from this website

http://www.2pass.co.uk
  • Options
    awww bad lucky. I agree its nasty the way they score these things. I'm not old enought t drive but i've had to sit my music theory exam 4 times and still haventpassed. I know how you feel .There are some good resorces online thouhg. I'm sure u'l pass next time
  • Options
    i've got the cd-rom haven't tried it yet but i think i better had soon.
  • Options
    *isnt looking forward to that*

ive gotta do all mine again this year! but i saw a new examer when we went passed the dvla and he's only about 25!!! and very cute!! short to the test me thinks lol!!!
  • Options
    I did the HP test last year & got 44/75. The pass score is 44 now so I would just scrape by if I took it now.

I thought the test was quite tricky to judge the hazards because I'd only had about 4 driving lessons before I took the test so my mind hadn't even learnt how to spot potential hazards.

I think the video which I got sent from the dsa when I had booked the theory test helped. They had Suzy Perry (I think he name is) give you a step by step run down of what happens during the theory test & the hp test as well. The most usefull bit was she told you about the scoring window & when to click to get the most amount of points.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Have they introduced basic car maintenance in the test yet?

Simple things like how to put petrol in. Fill up your window washers. Test your oil. Put air in the tyres.

I've been driving for 18 years-ish now so was thankful to miss this whole theory test thing. Although I do believe it's a good idea. Prove you know the stuff before you get out there.

Is there anywhere on-line you can do a mock theory test and perception thing as I'd like to see how I would get on. :)
  • Options
    I also took my theory recently and failed due to the HP part. I got 35/35 on the questions and 41/75(?) on the Perception. I was very confident I had passed when I had finished. My only explanation is the same as others and that I presumed there was a hazard before the computer reconised it as one. It's hard as you are watching the screen knowing a hazard is going to turn up and you probably 'see' the hazard before it is classed as a hazard.

I bought this Hazard Perception CD-ROM thing from amazon which is quite good. It shows you on screen when the hazard is reconised, for how long and how many points you recieve based on at what moment you click.
    You can do the theory @ http://www.2pass.co.uk/411old.htm
    Don't know if there is anywhere to test yourself on the HP.

Need to re-book mine and then retake my practical :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

Is there anywhere on-line you can do a mock theory test and perception thing as I'd like to see how I would get on. :)

That site that hunnypot suggested has a mock perception test. I missed out on a few hazzard (got 1850 / 2000 which means I missed 3 I think).

It was for the most part easy, but then some were silly, like the traffic lights that it would not let me click on when i first saw them, but then sped up so it was complicated to click them later. It took me four goes to actually be able to click on the lights, which is stupid.
  • Options
    I borrowed my friend's CD-ROM which had theory practice questions and hazard perception clips. I also bought the official DSA book of questions and Highway Code book. I purposely did my theory test later, after I'd had about 24 lessons, as I thought I'd have put all the theory I'd learnt into practise, and it would be easier, eg to judge what was a developing hazard, etc.
    They’ve now introduced a Show Me and Tell Me question that the examiner asks when you do your practical test. Show Me is like pointing out what cap you unscrew to fill up the windscreen washer, and Tell Me is explaining how to check the oil level, or something.

The AA mock theory test
  • Options
    it is awful, rubbish, utter rubbish..

i scraped it, but yeah i'm drivin now.
  • Options
    The CD Rom is the best thing to use.

When I sat mine I thought I clicked too much but I got 66 out of 75 so they must've been the right clicks.
  • Options
    That site is quite good, except that bit with the traffic lights keeps getting me! i don't understand why - I click on them and it still makes me crash into the bus.
  • Options
    i think the hazard perception test is a good idea, but the way they mark it is stupid.

it'd be much better if it was part of the practical test, and you were able to talk through with the examiner why you thought it was a hazard, and how you would respond.

or even if you had to narrate as you were driving what you were doing and why.

anything to reduce the amounts of idiots on the roads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Have they introduced basic car maintenance in the test yet?

Simple things like how to put petrol in. Fill up your window washers. Test your oil. Put air in the tyres.

Yes they have it's called 'show me, tell me' & is conducted at the beginning of the practical test after the eye sight check :)

For example the examiner says:

'Show me where to fill the window washer bottle up'

'Tell me how you can test that the brakes are working properly'

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    got my driving test in like...26 days or something :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Sounds like a good idea.

I'm still surprised by the amount of muppets on the road that seem oblivious to what's going on around them.
    I'm also surprised about the amount of morons that are on the phone whilst driving.

But yes, penalising you for noticing them too early is a bit suspect.
    Surely the best way to show someone is aware of hazards is to drive with them... oh, yes, that would be a driving test. :rolleyes: It's pointless.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    That site is quite good, except that bit with the traffic lights keeps getting me! i don't understand why - I click on them and it still makes me crash into the bus.

Yes. Exactly. It's ridiculous. If the real thing is anything like as unfair as that, well, I'd be well peeved at having to pay to do that over and over :/
  • Options
    I did mine last tuesday. I got 34/35 on the theory and 63/75 on the HP.

I think its a great idea, Im MUCH more aware on the road now than when I was before I revised for my theory.

Suppose they know what they are on about, seeing as these people are the DSA!

They're just trying to make people better drivers, coz there's a lot of bad drivers out there, who aren't aware as others are.
  • Options
    Well, it's heatening to see that I'm not the only one who thinks it's unfair. It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping idiots off the road, but it's just so unfair. Here's an example. I bought the cd-rom to practise, and I clicked (what I thought was the hazard) a bus pulling right out in front of me on my left hand side. There was also a post van with it's hazards on the left, (which I didn't need to take any action for), I also clicked on that just incase, and guess what the hazard was. No, not the bus moving out, but the stationary post van... It was the same with another clip. The 'road narrow' sign was the one you had to click on, but there was junctions on the left with cars coming out of them. What were you scored on? The bloody sign! How is asign a developing hazard?!?! I know the fact the road narrows is the developing hazard, but it's just daft....
  • Options
    Petition

I am trying to organise a petition to get them to stop this test. Sign it at http://www.petitiononline.com/Hazardpe/petition.html
  • Options
    I am trying to organise a petition to get them to stop this test. Sign it at http://www.petitiononline.com/Hazardpe/petition.html
    Old thead :grump:
  • Options

I'm starting a petition to ban shoes with 12 eyelets or less. I'll sign yours if you sigh mine :hyper:
  • Options
    I might start a petition to prevent resurrection of old threads.
  • Options
    You failed to spot the potential hazard of bumping an old thread.

NO LICENCE FOR YOU!
This discussion has been closed.