Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

shrinking jeans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any way to shrink jeans?

Comments

• Options
    wash them in really hot water repeatedly. :)
  • Options
    do you know if the length will shrink much?
  • Options
    If they are just too long forget the hot water, you will have to have them hemmed up.
  • Options
    I'm actually looking to shrink the width, the length is perfect. but i assumed the length would shrink with it, but just wanted to make sure not too much. do you have to dry the pants inbetween the hot water or just keep washing them?
  • Options
    I don't think it should do too much to the length, and I would dry them in between in case you only have to do it once. I'm not sure how much you want to shrink them. Are they regular cotton jeans?
  • Options
    yup cotton. I need to shrink them alot. They fall off when I walk, along with all my other pairs of jeans :/ But I"m too poor to go out and buy a new wardrobe of pants :p Thanks alot!! I shall try that later.
  • Options
    No problem. :D
  • Options
    PM me and I'll get you in touch with my college laundry. They're expert at shrinking any item of clothing you give them, especially your favourite jeans.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    PM me and I'll get you in touch with my college laundry. They're expert at shrinking any item of clothing you give them, especially your favourite jeans.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Failing that I can give you my Mum's address. She's an expert as well. :p
  • Options
    i find that if they are more that 3 inches bigger than you need them, it's best to get them taken in as i have had to do with 4 pairs of mine and if not get a good belt i went out a bought a nice black one with flames and one with studs, to congrats myself on going back to a size 12/10.

luby
  • Options
    can you even shrink jeans? considering they're cotton... i would have thought that anything hot enough to shrink cotton would also destroy the fibres :/

they tighten up when you wash them, but they always loosen up again with wear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    they tighten up when you wash them, but they always loosen up again with wear.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I have a couple of pairs of jeans that i can only really wear just after theyre washed or they are waaay to low.
  • Options
    Tumble dryer works better. Wash them then bung them in there for an hour or so at a time and they will shrink.. :cool:
  • Options
    Trust me, you can shrink them with hot water and it won't hurt them. How do you think they stonewash jeans? Jeans can take alot of wear. Putting them in the dryer helps, but the hot water will shrink them. My bf has shrunk so many of my clothes by washing them in hot water. :mad: Cottons famous for shrinking that's why you're supposed to wash it in warm or cold water to keep it from shrinking. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyNightingale
    How do you think they stonewash jeans?

they put them in huge washing machines with a bunch of stones. hence the name.

Cottons famous for shrinking that's why you're supposed to wash it in warm or cold water to keep it from shrinking. ;)

that's why my washing wachine has a 95 degree cottons wash?

i did some research on this, actually, cause i didn't know, and it said that jeans do shrink, but not much, only 3%, and most jeans are pre-shrunk, and most of the shrinking reverses with wear. most shrinking occurs lengthwise and not widthwise.

so it might be a good idea to buy some smaller jeans.
  • Options
    my dad used to tell me to sit in a cold bath with them on and they would shrink to fit me apparantly.
    Never tried it though.........