Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been a strict vegetarian (no meat/fish/rennet/gelatine/battery eggs blah blah blah) for 7 years this May.

I've not felt particularly good for some time now, and i do think it has something to do with my diet. Not only am I very lathargic and have trouble sleeping, but I also have sudden bursts in and out of energy (if that makes sense). One day I wont be able to get up, and the next I wont be able to sit down.
These arent the only problems, I have a problem with my body healing itself. I have a low white blood cell count anyway, so that doesnt help, but whenever I cut myself, or bruise or anything like that, I dont seem to heal for an extremely long time.

Its pretty much general things like the above, however they are all mounting up and Im beginning to think my protein levels are way too low. I dont take any supplements, I've tried, but really am disasterous when it comes to tablets. And Im not a particualrly big fan of beans and pulses and what not, so Im not actually getting any protein other than cheese, and although I do have a 'slight' infatuation with cheese (as some of you may know. ooh alan.) Im actually not getting that much, certainly not every day, sometimes I go for a number of days with no cheese at all.

So yes, basically what im getting at is that my diet, when it comes to protein, just isnt happening.

Im a performance student and one of my modules is Body Maintanence; we're constantly on the go, working out, and being generally very physical with the things that we do, so we have this module to make sure we know how to, and are taking care of ourselves, our bodies and our diets and all that. I was talking to my body maintenance lecturer and I suggested to her that I thought I should start to eat fish again (i think i could probably do some types of fish, however im not quite ready to go straight back on to a meat eating diet). She said it would be a very wise decision and I would start to feel much better for it, but Im concerned about how my body will deal with it after not having any for 7 years. She suggested I stayed away from finned-fish for a while, as what they eat might react with my body, however other fish, such as scampi should be fine to try.

does anyone have any information on this topic, either from their own experiences or anything else? or any suggestions of how I can go about this sensibly without causing myself and my body too much grief. Thanks a lot, and Im sorry its so long.

Comments

• Options
    I dont know a great deal about a veggy diet and its effect on the body, however I have heard that you need to be more careful if you do choose that than if you hadnt.

If you wanted protien in your diet you could get one of those 'Beefcake' powders from a health food shop, that might help. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Supplements

Just to let you know, taking supplements such as those 'beefcake' things can do you more harm than good if you are not using them in any form of training. If, as you say, you are fairly active with what you are studying then this should not be a problem.

One of my housemates recently had this problem - he came out in a rash quite often, gained dark rings around the eyes etc. Not good and it was all to do with the protein supplements he was taking each day but not doing anything that would use the protein effectively.

Aye - a healthier and more balanced diet should sort you out. :)
  • Options
    Eat nuts?

And yeah, take supplements. How about things like bean or lentil soup, if you don't like just eating beans etc? Pulses are the best protein source other than meat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Eat nuts?
    Ever since reading your mention of nuts earlier this evening I've had an urge to scoff peanuts, or better still, cashew nuts - roasted and salted. :yum: Mmmm. I'm going to have to get some now to satisfy my urges!
    Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I was vegetarian for 11 years and went back to eating fish first and eventually meat, with absolutely no ill effects from it at all. I dont see why your body would react. I dont see why your teacher would recommend scampi as a healthier option than other fish - scampi is just deep fried prawns in batter, there is nothing particularly healthy about it. If I were you id go for oily fish such as mackeral - tinned is best as it preserves more of the nutrients. mackeral in spicy tomato sauce is yum and full of protien and is really high in omega 3 oils which your diet is probably severely lacking in unless you are taking a supplement.
    do you eat eggs? they are high in protien.
  • Options
    Did you know the singular of Scampi is Scampo, isnt that fantastic!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    lol, I shall remember that!
  • Options
    I mean obviously you wouldnt want just one Scampo, but its one of those fantastic tit bits of information I love.
  • Options
    ooh thank you muchly for all the info :)

its funny talking about scampi you know, I decided to have some yesterday. I cooked one piece of scampi, tiny it was, and after id eaten it i couldnt believe id managed to do it - after being so strict for nearly 7 years.

i felt fine though, well - i say that;

i woke up at 1.56am this morning to be sick. which was fun :rolleyes: Im not sick very often, in fact the last time was due to alcohol intake, and before then wasnt since back in May, and i've felt absolutely fine today, so im not sure if it was a phsychological thing (although im not convinced as i was asleep at the time) or if it was a reaction to the fish. i've felt a bit bruised in my stomach today. i dont know what it was all about, i just think it was a bit too much of a coincidence. who knows. i need to see my doctor soon anyway so i'll see what he suggests.

thanks again for all you're replies :)

oh and abbie im sorry i havent been on for ages, i'll send you a message as soon as im back on properly and we'll have a chat. hope you're all ok :) x ps. hope the party goes well on saturday
  • Options
    Well I've been vegetarian for 10 years and I do think that perhaps it has had an effect on my immune system, and I too take quite a while to heal with cuts and bruises and stuff compared to other people I know. However I've never gone for any tests or anything so I may just have a naturally weaker immune system, I couldn't say.

Oily fish I think is highly recommended for lots of reasons, there have already been loads of suggestions about protein etc. so I won't go into that, the sites that have been recommended are very helpful. It may not be protein that is the problem, even though I'm vegetarian I still have a tendency to eat a lot of junk, I don't know if that is true of you but getting a balanced diet as possible, eating all the fruit and veggies, getting the right amount of carbs and drinking lots of water and everything is always a good idea.

I don't think I could deal with going back to eating meat/fish/gelatine/anything like that, I'm way too fussy but I guess it would depend on just how badly being vegetarian was affecting me health wise, which at the moment it isn't.