Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Kurds in Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the kurdish want autonomy. they want to annex kirtuck. you only have to look at any modern history to see this will be the source of tension for centuaries to come and indeed the lynchpin of Iraq's future. 75% of Iraq's oil comes from there.

What do you think.. is their claim legitimate?

write back!
alex

Comments

• Options
    Turkey would invade before allowing that to happen and certainly the US would not support the Kurds over the wishes of Ankara.
  • Options
    Oh so *thats* how Scotland and the Kurds are linked.....
  • Options
    Yes of course they should have their own country. There are millions of Kurds, they have their own language, their own culture, food, and yet the area of Kurdistan is not recognised as a country. They have been persecuted for many years, and many Kurdish people have fled to Europe to escape. They just want a peaceful homeland of their own. I can't see that happening, however.
  • Options
    I'll never understand secessionist movements. Create a Federal system and be done with it. Autonomy yes, independance no. We need fewer countries not more.

But then again it's ultimatly for the Iraqi Kurds to decide.
  • Options
    You can say that, as you have a country. I imagine you would feel very differently if you didn't have a homeland.

It isn't up to the Kurdish people, they want a homeland. It is up to the future controlling government of Iraq, along with Iran and Turkey, where Kurdistan overlaps.
  • Options
    no ner no ur missing the point..

the kurds do allready have their own province. (not sure of the legal status but its their own area) anyways they want to extend this to include tikrit.. i mean laying claim to part of iraq.

like when hitler took large chunks of czechoslovakia because there were lots of germans there.. or when israel took the gaza strip...

notwithstanding the fact that tikrit has status for the kurds being sadams ex home town, like i said the town/city is very rich in oil..
  • Options
    They may have Kurdistan, but it is not a recognised country. that is what they want.