Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Your partners friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many of you get on with your bf/gf's friends? Do you really get on with them or do you just tolerate them for your partners sake?

I'm getting to the stage of meeting some of my new bloke's friends and as we live in a small village, I know most of them by sight anyway... One is a guy I was seeing last month (a tad awkward, but anyway), one is a lad I had to call the police on, about 6 years ago, for attempted GBH (so you can understand I don't enjoy chatting to him in the pub!) and a few other I know have been involved with the police, or at least would have been if they'd been caught!

Apart from the above, I've never had dealings with the police before and I usually date "nice, safe" guys.. My bloke has never done anything too serious (or at least been caught doing it) but I still feel a tad on edge around them all! (his mates, not him) They all know me as the clever, nice girl who got on with the teachers at school - not the type of girl any of them usually date!

Ah well, I'm sure they're all lovely really... :crazyeyes

Anyone got any stories to share? :)

Comments

• Options
    My blokeys friends dont like me, not one single one of them :(

I have no idea why, I've only met them all about once or twice. Well actually I do know why, cos they're all still at college/uni, living with their parents, playing stupid computer games 24/7. Whereas my blokey works full time, owns a house and car and is engaged. So yah, he's grown up and has responsibilities and really doesnt have much in common with them anymore.

But no, they see me as the evil wench who makes him stay in on Friday nights cleaning the bath :yeees:
  • Options
    I get on with all of my partner's except one...who happens to be the best one who he's know since he was 4 :rolleyes:

He completely takes the piss all the fucking time, floucing through my house, changing the tv and playing crap tunes and I heard him one night when he though I was asleep bragging that my fella had been out with him on littl'uns birthday instead of with us.

he's in Australia now though

:D
  • Options
    I've known them all since I was about 16, and one of them is my bestmate and I've known him since I was 13! So yeah, I get on with them pretty well heh :)
  • Options
    I get on with them all quite well.

I've always got on with boyfriend's friends. I think I must put on a fake front without realising it! I'd hate not to get on with them, it only ever seems to cause problems.

My boyfriends haven't always got on with my mates and it's been a bit of a problem. I can't stand them slagging each other off to me.

Luckily the current man gets on with my mates and they seem to like him too :)

Hx
  • Options
    I get on with all of them and they all love me. If anything they worry about me because of my boyfriend's age! I've always made a special effort to get on with his friends because something could happen to him and I wouldn't have him anymore, or happily I could be stuck with him and his mates for the rest of my life, might as well get on with them. Rich is a wild child, he was in a rock band in his younger days, so all his mates are a right laugh!

Rich doesn't seem to like a lot of my friends. He's a snob though :p they all think he's the mutt's nuts.
  • Options
    I get on okay with most of them, I'm really quiet though so take a while to get to know them. When I feel relaxed around his friends I get on with them, recently 2 of his friends moved in with him and I get on with them quite well.

I think it's really important that your boyfriends friends like you, because they talk about you when you're not there, and if they like you, they will encourage him to stay with you.
  • Options
    i get on fine with all of them.

and he does with mine. we had a wee bit of tension earlier in the year because mr. kaff thought my (now) housemate was in love with me, and he was not best pleased, but we're all sorted now.

:D
  • Options
    I love all my partners friends but there was a time when I got quite jealous of some of them, both Male and Female. Most of my Boyfriends friends are my friends now, and I call round to see them without my boyfriend being there.

One thing I do hate is the assumption that you should automatically get on with their Girlfriends (If they are male heterosexuals!). Sometimes I feel forced into liking their birds when I really am indifferent.