Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Non-drug users...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Curious, do you ever feel like you're missing out on something?

Comments

• Options
    When people have described what it's like to smoke weed.. I've often wondered what it's like and considered trying it just for experience's sake.

Too worried though....
  • Options
    The weed thing, I don't think it would do me any good, since I can be quite paraniod as it is, the whole fucking universe will crumble down on me.

As for drugs in general, I'm not missing out on anything, I get my buzz's but I get them from more pleasurable things (ie, women) and food, I think those are my two biggest addictions. I don't plan to ever do any drugs.
  • Options
    Ive never tried drugs, Ive thought about trying it once just to see what it is like but as yet I havent.

I dont think im missing out on anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    When people have described what it's like to smoke weed.. I've often wondered what it's like and considered trying it just for experience's sake.

Half of the people I've met at university have done cannibis. I feel the same though. I'm happy with the weekly alcohol and my daily caffiene addiction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

Too worried though....

I had a friend who was too scared to try it incase it became an expensive habbit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I had a friend who was too scared to try it incase it became an expensive habbit.

clever bugger :p

and no I don't feel like I'm missing out
  • Options
    one of the problems with most drug experiences is you come out of it thinking wow! your brain mind body have experienced something very very special ...completely different.
    your awareness of what the human mind can do and where it can go is such that ...you want to turn the world on ...you want to show your mum and dad this amazing place in the universe of the mind ...you want all your mates to be able to experience the same ...it's nothing like alcohol.
    it can be a problem ...the fact that you realy want to share the experience ...give it to others ...can come across as pushing ...most people get the stuff ...start etc through mates and family and not some evil pusher.
    you can all to easily begin to believe the non users are 'missing' something. to an extent it is true ...
  • Options
    To an extent it's very very true.
  • Options
    You could say non - drug users are missing something, but drugs dont suit everyone. Pills dont suit me. Im much happier not doing pills than doing them. Shrooms dont suit me i think theyre crap. So maybe non - drug users arent using because its not for them, they know that they dont need to trip and get mashed to have an amazing time (im not saying drug users need to me fucked to have fun, of course we dont) but at the same time.. once you start to use you can begin to feel that 'id be having an amazing time at theis club/party if i had a littel something extra to make it even better than it is'

Really, non users are missing out on the possible paranoia/health problems/depression that could follow after years of use just as much as they miss out on feeling and seeing everything in a different light.

Drugs just arent for everyone. I dont drink, i dont feel like im missing out not getting drunk every weekend, because its not for me. Ive only had a great time drinking maybe twice in last two years
  • Options
    Its not like 'drugs' are one thing. I dont know many people who do all drugs at the same time.

There are many different drugs with many different ups and downs. Personally I would say to dismiss them all is a bit drastic, but then its totaly down to your own choice.

When I was about 11 or 12 I remember thinking that I would never do anything, but well times change.

NOT all drugs are addictive and not all drugs are dangerous, but, yes in the main it is a risky past time, but then so are most past times really, same as life. Its a risky business.
  • Options
    When I was about 11 or 12 I remember thinking that I would never do anything, but well times change.

Exactly the same with me, i used to think people doing drugs was a real bad thing but times change, people change.
  • Options
    i reckon i will probably try some of that sort of stuff in the future. its just cause im curious and can't help myself :P
    doesn't mean i'd do it where i didn't know people. Theres always the risk of overdosage. My cousin came home and found my aunt in the bathroom, o/d'd on heroin. So sad but it happens.
    I've done alcohol but that doesn't make me hallucinate :P just makes the world wobbly and makes my mind fall to pieces so that none of my thoughts make any sense. It's quite cool.
  • Options
    Whats this about drugs making you paranoid ?
    I often watch Tricia on a morning and the times she has said drugs make you really paranoid and you lose track of whats real and whats fake ?

Do any of you suffer in your relationship because of being jealous ? or thinking that your partner is cheating ?
  • Options
    SOME drugs can cause paranoia, but only some.

Yes the side effect of drugs like amphetamine is that you can think in a paranoid way. IF this happens it is normally relatively minor and only on the comedown, so when the person gets some sleep it goes away.

However serious amphetamine use can cause serious mental illness which included paranoia.

This is, to some extent the same with trips too, because your mental barriers are down you tend to feel any emotions fairly strongly. But obviously theres the flip side to that and you can discover something about your self, or work through a problem and this can ber very helpful.

So in answer to your question Becky, yes you can get paranoia when you use some drugs under some conditions, but it is uncommon.

And I would think most drug users paranoid feelings are almost purely based on their fear of the law anyway.

Wasnt Tricia a cocaine addict at one point, if so, yes she probably would have had paranoia, but then cocaine is a horrid drug. Highly addictive and highly dangerous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Do any of you suffer in your relationship because of being jealous ? or thinking that your partner is cheating ?

I can get paranoid when ive been on the coke and come home to very anti drug parents.. very paranoid. But thats only because i dont want to get caught, as soon as i know ive got away with it and not sniffed too much or had a nose bleed in front of them then im fine :p but i dont see that as down to the drug, more like my conscience!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Wasnt Tricia a cocaine addict at one point, if so, yes she probably would have had paranoia, but then cocaine is a horrid drug. Highly addictive and highly dangerous.

Apparently it was pills she was addicted to...!!
  • Options
    Yes becky you can get paranoid on drugs, cannabis is one, you can get paranoid on it but it all depends on the situation.

The key is whenever you start getting paranoid...you start thinking to yourself..stop getting worried about nothing.

It's all in the mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun

It's all in the mind.
    and here is the difference between alcohol and most illegal drugs becky. booze helps you to not care and even forget the whole evening.
    with drugs they tend to make you very aware of self and surroundings like never before which can get a bit worrying.
    if i smoke a spliff i will hear something in a piece of music i never heard before. the next time i listen to that piece of music i will be very aware of the new bit i discovered whilst smoking and sure enough ...there it is even when i don't smoke. drugs tend have a very spiritual side to them.
    the word pharmacia or pharmacutical comes from the word spiritism. if you ever read a passage in the bible that says spiritism it means pharmacia or druggery ...druggist etc.
    a lot of people presume that people take drugs to avoid reality ...avoid their problems ...there is an element of truth in this when you get to addiction but if you search through this place you will find again and again, people advising others NOT to take certain drugs if you have problems ...if your depressed or currently worrying about something. why? becuase the drugs will magnify your problems ...make you dwell on them as opposed to escape from them ...it can be very unpleasant. it can also ...after having given you a very disturbing experience because of your problems ...give you a deeper insight into the root of that problem and a new set of ideas about dealing with them.
    illegal drugs are NOTHING ...nothing at all like alcohol.
  • Options
    Well, Rolly, there are some that are relatively like Alcohol, the benzos for example, in terms of forgeting, blocking out the world etc.

But I would in the main aggree with you though, a lot make you more sensitive rather than less.

Candy; MDMA is not physically addictive, no-one ever can be physically addicted to it. Thats impossible due to the nature of the drug itself.
    However you can develop a mental addiction to the drug, in that because it is pleasurable you want to keep doing it, same as sex or food. Because of the side effect profile though the varst majority of users dont do this, they will have a time of peak use and then they will slow down or stop.
  • Options
    The way Tricia described it once was that with years of using drugs it kind of plays tricks with your mind. An instance was when a couple were not getting on and the hubby thought his wife was having an affair. So anyways Tricia basically said because of using drugs (i cant remember which one) for so long it leads to paranoia. In this show it was his wife who was saying what his paranoia was like.
    So which leads me to the next question. You say depending on what drug your using it can make you paranoia but you probably are not aware that you are being paranoid. Its probably your partner who picks up on the paranoia?
    Does that scare you at all ?
  • Options
    It depends greatly on your use, yes if you seriously abuse (not abuse, not use) virtually any drug it will probably give you paranoia at some point. Some drugs are more prone to this than others, the stimulants will do more quicker than the downers.

Yes if you heavily use drugs for years it may well effect your thought patterns, it will damage you. Theres not really any getting away from that, except to try and reduce the harm people do to themselves. But, well people on here cut themselves for 'release' dont they, and they get sympathy and support.

The possible dangers of using drugs do scare me, but as I said before I attempt to make the best informed judgement I can. I weigh up the pro's and con's before making a choice.

I have never ever been paranoid that my mrs is having an affair, ever. All the minor problems I have had with paranoia in the past have been based around the legality of the substance in question, and I believe that is the same for most people. I dont think I said that your probably not aware that your being paranoid. But, well if you knew it was only paranoia, you wouldnt be worried about it would you.

I have had times when rationaly I knew I was over reacting, but, well I wasnt that rational, but I've had that happen without any drug. I'm sure we all have.
  • Options
    If im getting too personal please just tell me to 'piss off' (politely like) ;)
    but is your other half a user ?

and another question :
    Just supposing tomorrow you could not get hold of whatever you use. There was no more supply left and you couldnt get drugs, end off. How would that make you feel ? Would that affect you the way id be affected if I suddenly didnt have nicotine ?

You see its hard for me to understand why some people say you dont get addicted to drugs. If someone pops a pill every Friday then its like in their head 'Its Friday...pill day' so then in reality they are dependent on it ? or if someone uses drugs to make them relaxed and calmer then surely everytime they feel like things are getting on top of them they reach for that escape, so again they reach out for whatever drug.
  • Options
    I am happy to answer pretty much any questions apart from personal ones, thats why I dont go in the sex section.

Yes, my other half does do things on occation, she's never really been into it as much as I have but she does enjoy it. However a few of them dont really agree with her, MDMA for example, she really likes the high but it does something nasty to her stomach. We smoke puff together quite often too.

If everything was taken away tomorrow. I would be disapointed, and it would sadden me, but I'd cope, I want, not need them. It wouldnt effect me in the same way as with a smoker because I am not physically addicted, my body does not need the drug to continue, like an addict does. My mood however might dip, I might not sleep as well as I do etc. A bit like if you told someone they couldnt have sex anymore.

I can indeed see what you are saying about the mind set that goes with some drug use. Many clubbers wouldnt really think of going out without their supplies.
    This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the difference between mental and physical addiction. Every act that is enjoyable is addictive, it is natural to want to repeat something that gives you pleasure.

So in that sense every drug is addictive, however the percentage of people who use most drugs that go on to have a damaging addiction is slight.
  • Options

I can indeed see what you are saying about the mind set that goes with some drug use. Many clubbers wouldnt really think of going out without their supplies.
    This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the difference between mental and physical addiction. Every act that is enjoyable is addictive, it is natural to want to repeat something that gives you pleasure.

when you put it like that I see where your coming from. Personally for me I have never been interested in taking anything. I aint got a problem with anyone who does use drugs just as long as they dont involve me with the drugs.
  • Options
    Thats a totaly fair attitude, I can see why some people dont want to use them, they are risky. And some people find the loss of control a little hard to understand, especially with the very strong trips, like LSD or DMT.

Obviously though you have to remember that not all drug users are the same, and not all drugs are the same. Just because they are illegal, or even in the same classification does not mean they are the same.
  • Options
    Candy; MDMA is not physically addictive, no-one ever can be physically addicted to it. Thats impossible due to the nature of the drug itself.
    However you can develop a mental addiction to the drug, in that because it is pleasurable you want to keep doing it, same as sex or food. Because of the side effect profile though the varst majority of users dont do this, they will have a time of peak use and then they will slow down or stop.

well i know that :p but thats what she said! i'm sure she used to take them cos she could get the housework done quicker!!
  • Options
    I'm not sure MDMA is the best thing for house work, I think you'd just end up thinking "oh sod it, it will work out".
  • Options
    Now coke, or especially speed will get the whole house gleaming!!!! Thats why my room is constantly so neat and tidy!