Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rats!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
on friday a farmer near where i have my chickens, demolished and burnt some very old buildings that have been derelict for about a hundred years. hundreds of rats fled the place and took up residence with my friggin chickens! i didn't find out till late last night.
six this morning three of us are down there shooting rats. there was a small hole in a wall where lots of them were heading off to ...i poured petrol down it and WHOOOSH! should have heard them screaming.
the rats have also bitten through electricity cables that go to heaters and special lamps in a partioned off bit ...the rats have eaten my plants!
evil dirty little things. well ...not so little.
tommorow i have to go there again with bleach and pressure washer ...more petrol as well ...i've decided on a scorched earth policy.
if it moves and it's not a chicken it will be dead!

Comments

• Options
    You keep chickens and shoot rats?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    You keep chickens and shoot rats?
    the joys of country life ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the joys of country life ...

Oh arrr ;)
  • Options
    poor rolands :crying:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    poor rolands :crying:

*Evil laugh*

Shoot Roland the Rat!!! I hated his songs anyway :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    *Evil laugh*

Shoot Roland the Rat!!! I hated his songs anyway :p

He had songs?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    He had songs?

tch philistine
  • Options
    He had songs?
    did he by any chance sing ..."chick chick chick chick chickennnn ..."
  • Options
    did he by any chance sing ..."chick chick chick chick chickennnn ..."

Lay a little egg for me! :lol:
  • Options
    He had songs?

he sure does, our Becks had a Roland Rat thing and it went :

Im a rat, Im a rat, Im a clever clever rat
    Cheese and whiskers
    Im a clever little rat :D

talking rats did anyone see Im a celeb last night when that woman was underground in a coffin type thing, then they let the water in and then loads of rats running all over it.........It was horrible :yuck:
    She did it though :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Im a rat, Im a rat, Im a clever clever rat
    Cheese and whiskers
    Im a clever little rat :D

That's it! That's it! That's the song! *gets shotgun*
  • Options
    We've got rat problems too. Well, they're not a problem yet. But there are a couple of rats that come into the back garden to feed on dropped seeds from the bird feeder.
    On the one hand I feel sorry for them, having to scavenge in this weather. After all, they're only animals trying to survive. On the other hand, they're vermin. They'll unhygenic scavengers that widdle everywhere and can be destructive. If they're not stopped now they'll breed like..... rats! :) They've got to go. My housemate is talking about putting down poison for them. Personally I'd be happy to wait for them with an air rifle and make sure they were gone.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    On the one hand I feel sorry for them, having to scavenge in this weather. After all, they're only animals trying to survive.
    Mr_Wobble ;)
    noooo! they are one of the most sucsessful life forms on the planet and a bit of cold weather will not even be noticed by them. they are also extremely versatile and highly inteligent. they don't feel sorry for you!
    there are quite a few deaths each year from weals disease. like a joiner who was working on a barn conversion would leave his nail box on the job each night. the rats would piss on the nails ...anything a rat pisses on becomes life threatening to YOU.
    the joiner comes in in the morning and like all joiners ...puts a line of nails in his mouth ...the joiner i'm talking about is now dead.
    recent reports reckon there are now so many rats in the uk that it is impossible to be more than 25yards from a rat ...doesn't matter where you are ...tenth floor ...fiftieth floor ...field or city ...25 yrds away is a rat.
    they have to chew almost constantly to stop their teeth growing to long ...they chew through steel ...concrete ...plastics etc.
    they have even been found on the space shuttle.
    see a rat and kill the fucking thing if possible.
    in the 60's kids used to go out shooting them ...for every one they handed in to the town hall they got ...i think about 10p.
    they should reintroduce it again.
    50p a rat ...that would soon get there numbers down.
    KILL 'EM!
  • Options
    Yeah, I know it's just my hippy love all forms of life side coming out for a moment there. :)
    I know, and have acknowledged, that they are destructive, disease carrying, piddling everywhere, vermin. I know they infest everywhere, both town and countryside. I know they need to be destroyed. As I said, if I had one of my air rifles with me now, I'd be happy to personally despatch them off to ratty heaven. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Yeah, I know it's just my hippy love all forms of life side coming out for a moment there. :)
    I know, and have acknowledged, that they are destructive, disease carrying, piddling everywhere, vermin. I know they infest everywhere, both town and countryside. I know they need to be destroyed. As I said, if I had one of my air rifles with me now, I'd be happy to personally despatch them off to ratty heaven. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)

*gets shotgun* *grins gleefully with a mid glint in my eye*
  • Options
    A few years ago they were growing potatoes in the field opposite my house, where I lived before. When they started pulling them up, suddenly I had a rat problem. They started in my loft, went inside my walls (I could hear them scratching by my head when I was in bed) and ended up in one of my kitchen cupboards. So I sympathise totally.

And before anyone says it, yes I`m quite sure it wasn`t mice.
  • Options
    i had wasps in my attic once, loads of the fuckers, and the attic door is in my bedroom :crying:
  • Options
    me and my mate used to go ratting. we used to buy air gun pellets which were impregnated with rat poison. i fucking hate the things. i remember me and my dad were fishing once and one of the filthy fucking things crawled up onto the bank nears us so i bricked the little fucker. eurgh, they make my fucking skin crawl:yuck:
  • Options
    when we were at uni the flat below us in halls had a mouse in their kitchen. But they thought it was cute so kept it as a pet :rolleyes:
  • Options

the joiner comes in in the morning and like all joiners ...puts a line of nails in his mouth ...the joiner i'm talking about is now dead.

teehee made me giggle, an ex of mine was a joiner :chin:
  • Options
    i actually quite like rats.

i can see how wild rats could be a problem, but the domesticated rats people keep as pets are intelligent, clean and friendly. i used to have a couple.

and i suspect the i'm a celebrity challenge was domesticated rats. i don't think they'd have taken the chance that one of the rats would bite her. and when the guy was picking them off her after they all seemed very used to being handled.
  • Options
    I used to have a couple of rats myself, they can be very good pets. But the wild ones are something different.

Personally I think I might have a couple of bats in my loft, I hear flapping about every now and then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Personally I think I might have a couple of bats in my loft, I hear flapping about every now and then.

Thats what I thought to start with; that or a bird.