Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teen Pregnancy

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the important thing to realise in what Chris said was that the video concerned late abortions. This is different to an abortion early on, yes it is all killing the early form of human life, yet more pain is felt for both foetus and woman in the later stages. The scary thing is that recent research shows that pain is felt by the foetus even in the early stages, so where do we draw the line? I agree that permission should be sought before showing such videos, but then i remember seeing an extremely distressing video on the haulocaust which we ween't warned about. People complain that we aren't taught enough about the ins and outs of having sex, so surely this should go hand in hand with the consequences of our actions. Maybe it was to turn you against abortion or maybe it was to make you think more what the effect of not being careful is. I'm not saying shock tactics are the way forward, but it is what actually ahppens so why shy away and pretend it doesn't?
  • Options
    Cool objectiveness from Wind here! THis is what TheSite is looking for surely???
  • Options
    religious people putting out shitty videos to change your mind, I think religious people should stick to their own business. If the parents religion allows abortions then they can to it, if muslims/arabs wotsits dont allow it then they cant. we are christian, well im a freedom type fuck religion bloke, and our religion allows it so bog off. If you dont like it then dont get abortions, you dont own us, stay in your religion and stop trying to convert us.
  • Options
    I dont agree or disagree with abortions but Im definatly against the vidio thing. Maybe not if it were not so graphic but I think that takes the piss a bit really. For instance a friend of mine had an abortion following a rape, this was a late abortion as she wasnt sure wether to go ahead with it or not. Can u imagine the mental torture she would have gone through if she had seen such a vidio and then had to go have an abortion herself?Jesus, she went through hell as it was let alone having to go get an abortion done (which I totally agree with after a rape, by the way). Its a hard decision goin to have an abortion, and one u want to make without having to think about the gory details, to deal with it mentally u literally have to switch off from the whole situation. If u dont do this then it makes the whjole process much harder. Im not saying that aboetions r correct in all situations, for instance is a girl is careless then really she should take responsability. And abortion isnt a form of cintraception. I just think about if my mate would have seen a vidio like that, and how much harder it would have been for her.
  • Options
    Originally posted by j9j9:
    With the right counselling, she could have given the baby up for adoption, couldn't she?

J9

This is true but I tend to think, and she did too, that its worse for the child anyway. I mean who would want to know they were adopted and then find out they were conceived from a rape. Also having to go through with the pregnancy and birth and then have to give the child up for adoption is a lot harder than getting an abortion. I couldnt do it myself. I guess its personal choice though.

• Options
    Girl-From-MarsGirl-From-Mars Posts: 2,822 Boards Guru
    I agree there should be a lot better sex ed in schools. we got the whole bio thing, and in PSME (personal social moral education) which we had for a few weeks each term we got to discuss the moralities of it.and in gcse RE we discussed thigns like abortion, and looked at it from different religios points of view.i dont follow a relgion, not total atheist but thats another post!i believe that after a rape abortion should be performed if the victim wants.i mean who would want to know they were conceived by a rape, as people have said?? a friend of mine wasnt 100% on contraception, they used condoms mostly but her evil (now ex) boyf talked her into doing it sans condom, saying it would be ok coz of the time of month etc etc (bastard).and well, she would have just believed him if it wasnt for her friends, we talked her into getting the emergency pill.this happened twice, once just before a big trip abroad, total wrong timing.shes an intelligent girl, relgiious so morally objecting to abortion, but her boyf duped her into thinking it was ok for his own selfishness and the fact they couldnt be bothered to get a condom.whats spoling the mood a bit compared to a lifetime of raising a kid?? thats what it comes down to. its unrealistic to expect teengagers to abstain from sex, but i think they should be told about the risks and consequences from a much earlier age than year 10/11.

persoanlly, i couldnt cope with a baby now.im stressed enough with year 13 and a levels and friend troubles and stuff.. im on the pill, but i know its not 100%, but my boyf cant use condoms for some personal reasons (not being selfish,or just doign the normal bloke excuses), and if i did get pregnant i would have an abortion. i agree with lolly (er think it was her, the thread's gone now!) that people trying for babies who cant have them would appreciate being able to adopt these unwanted babies.. but the reality is more likely that the child will go into foster homes and be passed around before finally finding a family who want to adopt.now is that any life for a kid?and they would go their whole life being traumatised by it and not knowing hteir parents, esp if it was after a rape. i dont disagree with adoption obviously, but i just think that if a pregnancy is going to screw up someone's life, including carrying it to term, its not the answer just to give birth to all babies as there isnt exactly a shortage of children. not that abortion should be used in late stages if all that about the foetus pain is true. and it shouldnt be used as contraceptive, people should only use it if theyhave explored all other opportunities or are physically or mentally unable to have a child. theres so much more to say on this, but i'll shut up now as ive been talking forever! i hope i havent offended anyone!!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    THe "it" thing is one of the most important aspects of abortion. It's deciding if someone is actually a person.

And a foetus a few weeks old concieved by someone who raped you should not be allowed to ruin your life.

I do realise that abortion is a very sensetive issue. THis will probably have J9 mad at me. But I think that abortion up till 14 weeks should be legal, as up till that time the foetus has absolutley no chance of survival in the world.

I think that if a sixteen year old girl has decided she couldn't cope with a baby, no-one should force her to have a child that she doesn't want,which could ruin her life.

I'm not saying that all teenagers shouldn't become mothers. I'm sure that there are many people out there who got pregnant at an early age, considered abortion and are now very glad that they went through with the pregnancy.

I do think that people should have the right to choose. As for the abortion video, I think I agree with Harry when he says that it was probably done by someone who was wildly anti-abortion who wanted to shock.

Anyone can find the ugliest possible side of a subject and film it. What they normally don't do is look at something objectively.

Most abortions take place very early on in the pregnancy. I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    lots of kids who are adopted end up really f***** up later on and often have behavioural difficulties or find it hard to make friends. it makes me think that adoption is not really the answer....

i'm not denying that women are stupid; God made them to match the men.
  • Options
    but then i'm not sure abortion is either. hmmmm, i dunno why i'm posting when i can't make up my mind... sorry guys!

• Options
    I think that teen pregnency is stupid. One little mistake and your f***ed for the rest of your life! The problem is there seems to me no way of stopping it, unless we castrate (spelling?) everything that moves. One option is that the baby is taken away from its mother straight away at birth and put up for adoption. But being adopted myself that isn't a very nice way of going about things! The other option is forcing the mother and father of the baby to look after it.
    Has anyone watched big brother, lets face it if you haven't you have lived in a box for the last 9 months, but anyway the baby thing on their seemed like a brilliant way of doing things. The baby gets given to a school pupil at let say the age of 13 and they have to look after it for a weekend, see how they like it. Though this is practiced in some schools, it isn't practiced in a lot, if it was part of the curiculam then they would be forced to do it!
    I think my castrating program is more fun though!

BaRt
    Live Life On The Edge!
  • Options
    I agree with you Bart, ive heard about the looking after a doll/baby thingy for a while in some schools in inner city areas, but i think it should be practised everywhere. i have a friend who has had a couple of "accidents" and needed the morning after pill.. but i think she half intended to get pregnant as shes always saying how much she loves her young nephew and how mch she loves spending tiem with him.. and when we see babies in the nursery at school and just generally she always says she wants to take one home.. although deep down she knows she doesnt want the responsibility. but its just one silly mistake like that, girls thinking they want the "glamourous" aspect of having a baby, if you like, andd then not taking proper precautions during sex and that being it for the rest of their life. the looking after a baby like on big brother seems like a goood idea to me, to make sure these girls know what theyre doing when they say they want a baby.
  • Options
    bart i'm gonna disagree with you big stylee now. you can't just take a baby away from its parents at birth because those parents happen to be teenagers. thats terrible!

• Options
    yeh but what kind of life will it have with a teenage parent. How is the teenage mother going to do well in life? pressuming she was 14 when she had the baby how is she going to do her GCSE coursework and revision, and get decent grades at the end of the day? How about this for an idea, taking the baby away till
    a the baby is 2 or 3 years old
    b the teenage mother has finished her GCSE's?
    In some cultures they would just kill the baby straight away! At least this is kind of fair, isn't it?

BaRt
    Live Life On The Edge!
  • Options
    No, no and no in that order. No offence Bart, but that's bullshit! My friend Carrie was taken into care as a baby for various reasons, and at the age of 3 her mother was declared fit to look after her and she was taken away from the only parents she had ever know, the two other children she felt were brother and sister. Our mums are good pals so I know the story, even though I was only five when it all happened. The mother's life and happiness is important, but she's still a mother and in comparison the baby comes first. Taking it away for years and then bringing it back again wouldn't do it any good. The child comes first.
  • Options
    I don't agree with abortion!!!! It is unfair on the child. It is murder!!! If the mother cannot bring up the child then I think as a very last resort the child should be adopted.

it is difficult for me to imagine this as much as a female would but a life grows inside you and then you suddenly end that life? Imagine what the mother would feel like after. The questions she'll ask herself. I strongly disagree with abortion!!!!

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up
  • Options
    I strongly disagree with abortion as well, of course it's unfair and cruel to the baby. But there are circumstances in which it must be allowed for the BENEFIT of the child. Desperate times call for desperate measures, etc.
  • Options
    I'm sure that some adopted children can have wonderful lives, with parents who care for them far better than their natural ones would have been able to do so.

However a lot of adopted kids are messed up.
    I've known a couple of kids who've been adopted, and they were both fucked up. I'm not saying everyone who's been adopted is messed up, but its more likely.

I don't think adoption is the answer. In anycase, there aren't enough parents who are willing to adopt, when compared with the number of people who have abortions every year.

The alternative to legal adoption, shunting the child round sets of foster parents, is far far worse. How can someone develope normally if they spent no longer than a few years with each set of parents?

Some teenagers make great parents. But most can't cope with someone completely dependant on them, when they are just children themselves. Most fourteen year olds couldn't cope with looking after a completely helpless person throughout their GCSEs and A levels.

Better sex education is needed, and contraception needs to be made more freely availible.
  • Options
    Here's a question to all teenage girls out there. If, for whatever reason you found out that you were pregnat, would you have an abortion?
  • Options
    I am 18 and I have a son who is nearly a year old,as soon as i found out I was pregnant my boyfriend made me choose carry on drinking ,smoking partying and doing drugs or have his child, it was a hard decision but i chose my little boy and it was the best decision i have ever made in my life. Everyone says what a good parent i am and i have known parents twice my age who cant cope. I think its not age but the support and courage you have which determins whether you are fit to be a parent!
  • Options
    I've had a few pregnancy scares but even though I know it would be SO SO hard I couldnt do that and Kill my child.
    I'd keep it.
  • Options
    Cinders, that's a bit insensitive after what Rachel just said, isn't it? You're opinion I know, but that could be hurtful.

Well Caliph, I'm 16 and having sex (not at this moment, you understand!) so I s'pose I'm right in the 'danger zone'. I had a pregnancy scare once a while ago, and I was bloody terrified. I was with my ex Satan then and he'd persuaded me to down a few vodkas and then have sex without any protection. What can I say, I was weak. I should have told him to bugger off then. My period was late and I can't describe the fear of thinking you may be pregnant...it's awful. Luckily I wasn't, but I easily could have been. If I was, I'm almost 100% sure I would have had an abortion.

I'm still at school for one thing, and for another I was a lot less mature then, it's surprising how much you can grow up after something like that! He would have been useless, and anyway, I loved him - it was just some stupid little infatuation. I don't even remember liking that much. Fuck know why I was sleeping with him. I was in no way ready to be a mother and I would have had it terminated as soon as possible, I'm sure.

Now, it would be different. The last thing I would want to do is bring an innocent child into my mess of a life, but it would be better off now. It would have a father. I hope that I'll be with my boyfriend for a long time, but even if we broke up tomorrow it's not as if he would abandon his baby. Despite the fact he's not a bastard, he wouldn't really have much choice unless he wanted to be disowned by the whole family. I really, really wouldn't want to be pregnant as I have so much to learn yet, but I don't think I would have an abortion. If it could have a stable home and a loving family, which it would, it goes against everything I rant about if I had an abortion. So long as I can get my GCSEs and everything, he/she would hopefully have a good life despite the fact they weren't planned.
  • Options
    AAAHHH AAHHHH! I mean I NEVER loved Satan! Jesus Christ, I need some sleep....
  • Options
    if i got pregnant now (im just 18) i would have an abortion. im in a sexual relationship, a long term one (god how long term......).., and on the pill. but ive got enough probs of my own, i couldnt handle a baby at my age and would probably lose my mind if i had it. im so stressed from a levels and friend hassles and stuff, it would totally finish me off! so yes id have an abortion, but not a late one as ive read posts on here saying the foetus suffers and i deifnitely wouldnt want that. but in my situation, i think it would be best for both me and the child not to have the baby. of course not getting pregnant in the first place helps!! so see my above rants about sex education and contraception and stuff!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by helly:
    at the ages of 11-15 etc is quite redicilous. but if u think ur old enough 2 shag then u should b old enough 2 deal with the consequences.
    u start ur periods so as u can reproduce, so why do we start so early? its just society thats labeled 'teenage pregnancys', and made em out to b wrong.

Sorry ppl, this is a little off topic but kind of relevant. I don't know if you knew but the ages at which women first have periods, at which the first sexual characteristics (etc.) appear have all dropped (dramatically, by several years) in the last 100 years and are still dropping. People believe this is due to:
    1. Better health and nutrition, so your bodies can develop faster.
    2. Increased levels of hormones such as oestrogen in food and water (this is also believed to increase male infertility).

The net result of this is that women are having to cope with being sexual beings at younger ages than ever before, at more immature stages of their lives. As far as nature is concerned, the only important thing is to get as many babies out there as possible.

It has no innate concept of emotional maturity. While more emotionally mature parents will always have functioned better in the past (leading theoretically to sexuality at an emotionally mature age), nature has produced humans who mature at the 'correct' rate in a more hostile environment than the current one.

Hence, I believe it is possible that women actually do have sexual capabilities and drives that they are not really mature enough to handle. So if you're old enough to shag, are you old to handle the consequences? I don't think so. You know, if women keep maturing quicker and quicker, I think the trend would indicate that at some point in the next hundred years, the 'average' women would be capable of having a baby at more like 11 years old than 13 (whatever it is at the moment). HOW THE HELL CAN PEOPLE AT 11 BE RESPONSIBLE. Hey?

I think the only way to start tackling the issue ATM is much younger sex ed. (and better support systems for women in general).
  • Options
    I live in the United Arab Emirates and out here from birth the girls know who they are going to marry. A girls' life 'plan' is to go to school, leave after their GCSE, get married and have children as quickly as posible. I go to an all girls school and I know that most of my arab friends will be doing this - most of them will be mothers at the age of sixteen. I blame this on our sex education. The mothers complaned about their girls knowing about sex before year nine. Last year we labeled diagrams of the male and female reproductive systems and then learnt the basic route of the sperm into the vagina and how the baby grows. We learnt nothing about protection, disease etc. Sex education should start from a younger age and then slowly build up so that when children reach the age of fifteen they know everything there is to know about sex and what dangers it can bring.
  • Options
    TaraReader, you sound very mature and sensible for someone in your situation and I agree with you. You sound like you don't like all this, are you also in that difficult situation?

Something else you didn't mention is the emotional complications that sex brings - these are as important as disease in my opinion.
  • Options
    Sorry Chica and Rachael if i upset you. I hadnt read your post before posting mine.I guess the two situations were v different. Whenever ive hada scre its been with sum 1 i really care about and trusted, not a monster as what you experienced. Im Sorry.
    Infact my ex bloke's pickin me up this mornin and we're off down the FPC cos i keep faintin and my periods l8. I really reallly hope im not. Ill keep u updated.
  • Options
    Hey I'm sorry to everyone out there that doesn't like what I have to say but I can't just let it go. I think abortion is totally wrong!!! I know in some cases it can't be help like if a parent is making you, or if you have a med. reason. But if it is just because you don't want to mess up your life you should have thought about that before you had sex!!! Why would anyone want to take a life before it is even given???? Don't you have any morals??? There are different ways to go about it rather then an abortion, you could give the baby up for adoption anything besides kill it!!!! I know alot of people in the world would love to just beat the heck out of me because I am "wrong" but hey this is what I believe in my heart. If i were to get pregnant in my teen years (i'm 14 now) there is no way I would be able to have an abortion and you can mark my word for that. I am pro-life!
    Sorry to those who I may have upset.
    Lots of love,
    N.Reich