Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

does anybody know (tablet related)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was advised to buy some kalms today to try as an alternative to going back onto the anti-depressants. so i went and bought some. but it says to take them after meals, now at the moment Im not eating very much, do you think that there would be any harm done if i took them on an empty stomach?

i've also just been given some anti-biotics aswell, and they dont tell you whether to take them on an empty stomach or with food either, I know most anti-biotics you should take with food, so the same question applies really.

i know it will probably make me feel a little sick, but other than that - will there be any real problem?

Comments

• Options
    usually when tablets advise you to take them with food it's because if you don't it irritates your stomach lining. hence the sickness.

if you don't feel like eating, maybe take them with a glass of milk?
  • Options
    thanks

will milk be sufficient to stop me causing real long term stomach problems? I dont want to think that just because i took a few on an empty stomach im going to damage my insides forever... or is it litterally just irritated for the duration of your medication? I know you're not a doctor or anything, but if you have any idea at all its more than i do. ta
  • Options
    I wouldn't suggest you took them without food if thats what it says. It might not just be your stomach you upset! What i do if i don't want to eat is have a few biscuits before.
  • Options
    not sure, to be honest. mostly says that you 'may' take these pills with food to lessen irritation, but doesn't say you 'must'.

i found this, which might be helpful.
  • Options
    ta thats really useful.
  • Options
    Hey badabing, I know you posted this a few days ago but just thought I'd add my point of view! I would definitely take them with food if that's what they say, cos stomach irritation from drugs is no fun, believe me. I don't know about the tablets you're on, but anti-inflammatories, which say they should be taken with food, can really screw with your stomach if you don't take them with food. Pain, vomiting, diorreah, stomach ulcers...it's not much fun! Hope that helps, Tates x