Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Insomnia again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I am a student living in a large city and I am having trouble sleeping. I keep waking in the night when I hear the slightest noise, sometimes my heart is beating very loudly and I get a dry mouth...signs of anxiety I think. I have tried everything from exercise to herbal sleeping tablets, I suppose I worry someone will break in and as Im on the ground floor I would be most at risk. Please help, this seems to be happening every night.

Thanks

James

Comments

• Options
    Try some sleeping pills down at the chemists... i use them for flying, and they work so must be good. Can't remember the name though.

Then again there's my cure-all medicince... some alcohol! I used to have a bottle of brandy by my bed to help me in those insomniac moments. It worked until i went off the stuff.
  • Options
    There should be something about doing a search; anyway heres my response from a while ago.

The treatment that you need really depends on the type of insomnia that you have, if its based on the mental stress that you have then obviously sedatives arent the answer.

However if like me you have inheratied a sleeping problem and never sleep for more than about 3 hours in a stretch then it can get preaty bad. As yet I havent managed to get any long term meds from my doctor but I have tried a few.

Nightol ; Useless, doesnt work for me what so ever, all the chemical over the counter sleeping pills are the same, buy Boots own brand if you are going to, it will cost less.

Valium ; Not strictly an insomnia drug, its a muscle relaxant. However it will make you sleep soundly, does have a slight hangover though, lasts about 9hrs.

Temazepan ; Similar to valium but just a crappier version, quite stony, zonked me out, I didnt like it, lasts about 9hrs

Matrazapean (spelt wrong) ; Its kind of a mixture of prozac and a sedative, can be taken long term, takes about an hour to work, then lasts another 9 after that, does have a hangover, I felt quite groggy on this, I dont really like it.

Stilnoct ; This is a new one, I quite liked it, it felt more focused than the others, just helped me sleep and didnt fog my mind, no hangover what so ever lasts about 8hrs. Not sure if it can be taken long term though.

Zopiclone ; Related to Stilnoct, which is actualy called Zopidone in the US. Anyway this is a short-term anti-stress sedative I was put on a while ago. Its much nicer than Stilnoct which I didnt really think was strong enough. This one does leave a metalic taste in your mouth the next day which is nasty. I'd say this one is the best of the lot though.

Alcohol ; Does work to get you off to sleep, but its not a good solution for a number of reasons. One its only very short lasting, secondly although its a sedative it doesnt promote good sleep and thirdly it could become a habit.

However drugs arent the answer, stress should be gotten rid off by you not a substance really.

Anyway, hope this helps. Go and talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    Try some sleeping pills down at the chemists

Use them as a last resort, Valium & Temazepan are dodgy, I wouldn't advise you taking them. You should try some 5HTP, their quite good for insomnia.
  • Options
    You cant just buy valium or temaz down at the local Boots, but your right, they are certainly drugs not to be taken lightly.

As for 5HTP, I've never found it to be an effective sedative, although the one from Holland and Barrett does have Valerian root in it which can help some people.
    5HTP also gives you really strong dreams which means I dont sleep that well.
  • Options
    You poor thing, there's nothing worse than not being able to sleep. We have a few features here on TheSite that could help you out:
    Insomnia
    Sleeping disorders
    Anxiety and stress
    Anxiety

Also some useful websites:
    http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/
    http://www.bettersleep.org/

:)
  • Options
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help, I dont really want to start taking sleeping medication, I think i need to tackle the reasons why first. I just don't feel safe I guess and the thoughts I have don't help! Thanks again for your suggestions.

James
  • Options
    If you dont feel safe in your accomadation and you are at uni you could go to their housing department and explain the situation, they might be able to help you.

You could buy a cheap little alarm to go by your window.

Or you could try and move into a shared house with some mates from uni.

Or if it is noise then you could buy some ear plugs.
  • Options
    your symptoms sound very much like anxiety. i don't know if the level of danger you perceive yourself to be in is real or imagined, and that's what you have to sort out.

if it's real, bongbudda's suggestions are good.

if it's imagined, you may have an anxiety problem, and you'll probably find a GP can help, or refer you to someone who can help.
  • Options
    I know what its like not being able to sleep. i got a bad sleeping patten atm,:( its a bugger to get out of i just cant seem to lay my head down and sleep

hope you sort it out,