Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Volunteering.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here volunteer anywhere? eg homeless shelters ect

also is there any in essex near the chelmsford area as i am quite interested in volunteering also it could be usefull for my trident award as comunity service. so does anyone know?

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I volunteer for a charity called Mencap, and it's a charity for people with learning disabilities, but I only work with the children. I got into it because my mum is the leader of numerous different clubs, but I'm so glad that I did as I absolutely love it, and I'm thinking I might want to get a job in something like that.

    Anyway I think it's a great idea that you want to volunteer. You could search on the internet for places near where you live, and then decide what kind of volunteering you want to do. You could look in your local paper, even just have a look in the job section. I know mencap put ads in my local paper for volunteers from time to time, even if the charity are not asking for volunteers there will be a contact number or email and you could ask if they need volunteers.

    I'd suggest thinking about what volunteering you will really enjoy, as you don't want to go and not really like it, but feel like you have to go. You might even get some money from volunteering, at Mencap we get £5 each time we go and that can be just for 2 hours, I know it's not a lot but it's quite good when you think that they don't have to give you expenses. But now as I've been volunteering for awhile I'm now a 1-1 worker, so I get paid £6 an hour. Obviously this depends where you volunteer, a lot of places won't do this, but if you carry on going they might offer you a saturday job or something, or maybe you will find that you would like a career in whatever you end up doing. It will also look good on your C.V. or university application.

    Anyway I'm going on a lot. If you like children then I'm sure theres plenty of After School Clubs around, just ask at your local schools. That's just another idea.

    I hope you find somewhere to volunteer and that you really enjoy it.

    Hannah
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Our sister website do-it holds a huge online database of volunteering opportunities that you can search by postcode to find options near to you.

    They also have loads of information and inspiration

    Take a look

    Susie :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    I volunteer for a charity called Mencap, and it's a charity for people with learning disabilities, but I only work with the children. I got into it because my mum is the leader of numerous different clubs, but I'm so glad that I did as I absolutely love it, and I'm thinking I might want to get a job in something like that.

    Anyway I think it's a great idea that you want to volunteer. You could search on the internet for places near where you live, and then decide what kind of volunteering you want to do. You could look in your local paper, even just have a look in the job section. I know mencap put ads in my local paper for volunteers from time to time, even if the charity are not asking for volunteers there will be a contact number or email and you could ask if they need volunteers.

    I'd suggest thinking about what volunteering you will really enjoy, as you don't want to go and not really like it, but feel like you have to go. You might even get some money from volunteering, at Mencap we get £5 each time we go and that can be just for 2 hours, I know it's not a lot but it's quite good when you think that they don't have to give you expenses. But now as I've been volunteering for awhile I'm now a 1-1 worker, so I get paid £6 an hour. Obviously this depends where you volunteer, a lot of places won't do this, but if you carry on going they might offer you a saturday job or something, or maybe you will find that you would like a career in whatever you end up doing. It will also look good on your C.V. or university application.

    Anyway I'm going on a lot. If you like children then I'm sure theres plenty of After School Clubs around, just ask at your local schools. That's just another idea.

    I hope you find somewhere to volunteer and that you really enjoy it.

    Hannah

    Thanks. money isnt what im after, maybe only for expensice and stuff, but i would like to work with under privalidge children. maybe teens, anything along those lines will do, thanks for the advice, and i know it will look on my cv ect but i just wanna put somthing into the comunity


    Originally posted by SusieOur sister website do-it holds a huge online database of volunteering opportunities that you can search by postcode to find options near to you.

    They also have loads of information and inspiration

    Take a look

    Susie


    You have a sister site:eek: where the brother :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Thanks. money isnt what im after, maybe only for expensice and stuff, but i would like to work with under privalidge children. maybe teens, anything along those lines will do, thanks for the advice, and i know it will look on my cv ect but i just wanna put somthing into the comunity



    Hi rudeboyz, Im not sure that it would be appropriate for you to work with underpriveliged children or teens because of your age, but maybe you could offer to do some work in a local charity shop for a charity you support. I did that when I was your age, helping to sort out the clothes and bric-a brac etc. It still looks good on your CV, its good for the community and youll have experience in retail which can be handy.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Hi rudeboyz, Im not sure that it would be appropriate for you to work with underpriveliged children or teens because of your age, but maybe you could offer to do some work in a local charity shop for a charity you support. I did that when I was your age, helping to sort out the clothes and bric-a brac etc. It still looks good on your CV, its good for the community and youll have experience in retail which can be handy.

    Why couldn't i work with children, im 16 now had experience with looking after kids, i work well and have worked with kids before for a lil in my old primary school i interect well and have baby sat for several people.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Why couldn't i work with children, im 16 now had experience with looking after kids, i work well and have worked with kids before for a lil in my old primary school i interect well and have baby sat for several people.
    It would be up to the people that were employing you, Im not saying what is law, but i would have thought youd be unlikely to get a job caring for teenagers or older children as you are so similar in age, although I expect working with younger children would be fine as long as you passed all the police checks etc. They have to be so careful these days about who works with children as if anything happened they could get sued.
    Maybe you could do a childcare course at college or something and get an NNEB, I think theyre crying out for qualified male childcarers
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What the hell is a trident award?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by byny
    What the hell is a trident award?

    Its a three stage school award. goes on your record helps with college jobs ect.

    theres three stages

    -personal challenge
    -work experience
    -comunity service

    i only done my work experience and im doing my comynity service soon

    http://www.auxonline.org/~msep/trident.htm
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am a junior gymnastic coach (volunteer). I have now finnished my course and am soon going to be qualified. I am now 16 and have been doing it for 3 years, 3 nights a week - 2 now as i don't have enough time when doing highers. I also work one to one with disability children. Although some children are younger some are the same age or older. It is a bit strange but aslong as you are mature and responcilbe about it (make sure they know they wont get away with anything just because you are the same age). As someone mention it is very easy these days to get sued so read up and make sure you are never in a room with children on your own. If you are likely to need to restrain children make sure you know exactly how to do this and what you are allowed to do + to what extent you are responcible for the children. You really need to be able to be responcible so if your boss thinks your going to be yet another child to look after you won't be allowed to work (i have seen older people been asked to leave due to this before!) Good Luck.x
Sign In or Register to comment.