Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling weird

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just feel really weird at the moment. Before xmas I felt quite down....had problems at uni cos of my arthritis, and it just messed me up. But then for the past month or so I've felt fine, just getting on with things and feeling like I used to. But now...I don't know, it's not like I even have a reason to feel bad, but I can feel myself slipping back to how I was feeling before. I'm on new medication for my arthritis, which is starting to help a bit, so I guess that should make me feel positive. But all I can think about are the negatives, just stupid stuff. And the medication means I can't really drink, I can only have a glass once a week or so. I was never a really big drinker, but I hate having someone tell me I can't drink, it's just really shitty. I can feel myself starting to think what the hell, maybe I'll just get pissed and forget about it....but I know it could really damage my liver and stuff, and I know it's stupid...I don't know, it's just weird. At the moment it's not too bad, cos I'm at home and I don't really have to do much, but I can see what's gonna happen as soon as I get back to uni, I'll just get all stupid and stressed again, and I hate myself when I'm like that. I've got a lot of work and revision to do before I go back, but I just can't make myself, I'm really tired and totally lacking motivation.
When I felt like this last time I just thought it was because of the problems I was having, like making notes in lectures, but now...I don't know, there's no real reason, I just feel crap. All the real problems have been sorted, so I should feel fine. I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about it...last time I talked to my personal tutor, but she's on leave and there's no other tutor I feel like I could really confide in. And at the hospital I just wouldn't feel comfortable mentioning it...it always feels like I'm complaining about nothing, cos I know people have arthritis a lot worse than I do.
Sorry, I know I've really rambled on, but I just need to talk about how I'm feeling. Any advice appreciated, Tates xxx

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    *hugs*

try and find someone you can talk to about all this, about how you are feeling and what you are feeling. it may help. it also may be the time of year ... alot of people have been feeling low recently with one thing and another: the january blues and stuff. people will listen to you. do you think it will affect your uni work? if so find someone in the university/college that you can talk to. my personal tutor was awful so i went and spoke to one of my academic tutors who was fantastic when i was quite low once. remmeber ... you arent alone and dont need to be.

hope this helps a bit :)

*edited to say if you wanna PM me then i'll try and help you the best i can :)
  • Options
    Hey there
    You sound to me like you've got a bad case of January down-in-the-dumps. Coping with an illness is hard enough at the best of times, but everything piling up in the middle of winter is pretty mean. That said, there are ways that you can make it all more bearable. If you are worried about your social life slipping at uni, why not spend a few evenings a week at clubs/soocieties you're interested in? You could also get involved in some sports and you'll soon be super fit if you're not drinking!

It is difficult at first to cut out alcohol, but once you get used to it you'll feel fitter and healthier and people will stop questioning it after a while and just accept it - if they don't, they're not really worth the bother are they?

If you need to talk to someone about your problems, try a student counsellor. There are also organisations that you may find useful, which I'll list below.

Take care my dear,

Hannah Spanner :)

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500
    www.careline.org.uk

Depression Alliance
    Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Telephone: 020 7633 0557; www.depall.org
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    It is difficult at first to cut out alcohol, but once you get used to it you'll feel fitter and healthier and people will stop questioning it after a while and just accept it - if they don't, they're not really worth the bother are they?

This is true. :).