Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HND/ Degree

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know this would generally vary with different subject and career fields, but i am doing an HND in sports science. i also have a fitness instructors qualification and a swimming instructors qualification. i would like to get into health promotion, some kind of coaching or be a trainer for a company, or possibly set up my own business. in some cases, depeding on how well a student does in HND, they can get straight into 2nd or 3rd year of a degree. i havent decided yet whether or not i will do a degree though. just because i wonder what the chances are of getting into a good job with just the HND and other qualifications and experience i have. i hate getting a student loan and i took a year out between a-levels and HND and really miss the money!! i just wanna be working earning money...
does anyone have any views, ideas, suggestions, or experience in similar fields...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no experience with Sport Science what so ever, I've always thought it a bit of a joke subject, but I know it isnt.

However, I did start on an HND and then move onto the 3rd year of a degree so I can offer a little advice as far as thats concerned.

Generally HND's are looked down on, they really dont stand for much and I would be surprised if any employer took them massively seriously. This is because they arent actually that hard.

So I would suggest that you work your arse off, get into the 3rd year and get a degree, when speaking to people about what I did, they are almost more impressed by the route I took than if I just did the degree like normal people.

Be careful though, going straight onto the 3rd year is hard work, you will have to catch up and get used to a different style of teaching and learning.

Good luck.