Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Starting the Mini-Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I stopped taking the Combined Pill about three months ago (had been on it three years) because it was causing really bad migranes and other stuff. My periods aren't back to normal, nothing to worry about, I know...

But... now I want to go back on the Pill (new bf! ;)). My doctor told me if I ever went back on the Pill it would have to be the Mini Pill, so my question is, does anyone know if I would be able to start taking the Mini Pill even tho my periods aren't back to normal?

And, can the Mini Pill make you put on weight when you start taking it, like the Combined Pill can?

Comments

• Options
    Hiya
    You'd need to speak to your doctor regarding when to start taking the pill - I would make an appointment so you can talk through all these issues and then make a decision. In the meantime, we have a factsheet about the progestogen-only pill (or 'mini pill') here.
    :)
  • Options
    its not as reliable as the combined pill so be careful. Youd be better off using condoms too.
  • Options
    I was on the mini-pill for 10 months, although I've come off it recently (not for health reasons), and I found it fine - didn't put on weight or have any really negative side-effects. The one problem was that it made my periods quite irregular and unpredictable, and my doctor told me quite a few women find that.

As for when you can start taking it, I started on the first day of my period - but as you take it every day without stopping for periods, I think you can probably start whenever you want. But still, ask your doctor - s/he's the only one who can give you a professional answer.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

I've got an appointment booked with my Doctor on Friday morning so I'll see what he has to say then :)

Rainbow Brite - I do intend to use condoms too, but I'd rather be on the Pill too, just in case.
  • Options
    Just a quick update to round off this thread...

I went to the docs on Friday morning and he said I could start taking the Mini-Pill straight away. I got the talk about it make your periods quite unpredictable and it not being as effective as the Combined Pill - my docs words were "but you seem like a mature young woman, who if she got pregnant it wouldn't be the end of the world, it's just not what she wants right now" - which I suppose is true!

Re: My recent weight loss - he asked if I'm eating normally, sleeping alright and feeling alright (mentally and physically) and I said yes to everything (which is true), so he was happy just to put it down to coming off the Combined Pill and said the weight I've gone down to is probably just my natural weight! :eek: