Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'I think we should have a break.'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I know in the past I've been told this before when in relationships, generally not long lasting one's, just 3-4 months, and they're said that. I mean, what? Is this just a weak attempt at trying to say it's over and hoping I forget about it, or is a genuine 'I just need some space' kind of thing.

I know it differs for everyone and every scenario, but I'm sure we've all said it/had it said to us, so what do you think from experience?

It really is a headfuck. :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    my ex said it to me...and we had a break and then got back together...only lasted about a week after that tho, turns out he wanted to end it with me but cos i was so upset he just couldnt

but one of my friends, her bloke said it to her, they had a week apart and missed each other so much and are now stronger than ever

so i dunno really...but in my personal experience its just a head fuck!
  • Options
    I think its up there with

'it's not you it's me'
    'I'm not ready for a relationship at the moment'

Basically it usually means they aren't interested anymore, though there are exceptions!
  • Options
    Re: 'I think we should have a break.'
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Right, I know in the past I've been told this before when in relationships, generally not long lasting one's, just 3-4 months, and they're said that. I mean, what? Is this just a weak attempt at trying to say it's over and hoping I forget about it, or is a genuine 'I just need some space' kind of thing.

I know it differs for everyone and every scenario, but I'm sure we've all said it/had it said to us, so what do you think from experience?

It really is a headfuck. :crazyeyes

i think its about time we got so fucked we wake up in a different country, start at the soundhouse............

oh and generally its a weak excuse, brush her off!
  • Options
    i know that i said to an old boyfriend that was obsessive that we should go on a break, so that i could get away from him for a while, it turns out that we didnt get back together, i couldnt face it after free time. I guess sometimes it can mean that the person saying it needs time alone or just doesnt want to be in a relationship,either way they are trying to break up with the least amount of hurt possible, but it does have its exceptions!
  • Options
    I think breaks when you need them, are BRILLIANT my bf asked for one this time last year, it absolutely broke my heart but he needed time to see if the relationship was what he wanted. He realsied it was we got back together and were happier than ever.

Then i needed a break (well really it was a week attempt at me dumping him) i really didnt fancy him, coudnt stand being in the same room as him. Had a break but i realsied i loved him, then got back together and we've been amazing since, so so so happy.

Breaks are brilliant, i think they make or break a relationship. If you end up not getting back together it shows it wasnt meant to be and saves the heartache of it ending later on, and if you get back together the relationship is often much stronger.
  • Options
    Yeah I do agree, it can work both ways. I had quite an obsessive long-term boyfriend a couple of years ago who I just stopped fancying and really didn't want to be with him anymore. I knew he'd be heartbroken if I ended it so I had to use the 'break' excuse and let him down gently after that. I hated doing it, it's such a weak way of breaking up with someone but looking back it was the best way I think.

My current boyfriend who I've been with for about 4-5 months just asked for a break. I think I was quite hurt at first, but we've been living together and I can see we were both getting irate and needed our own space. Thing is we've still been meeting up and stuff, it's been really hard. We say it'll be a couple of weeks then we'll be back together, but I just hope the relationship will be a little fresher by then, ooh I don't know. Just gotta wait and see I guess.