Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does anyone have trouble throwing things away?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why the hell do I then? Dont get it at all but I keep that much crap.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Does anyone have trouble throwing things away?
    Originally posted by Chav
    Why the hell do I then? Dont get it at all but I keep that much crap.

My sister does but she is 11.
  • Options
    i do.

sometimes i get to the point of going to throw it all out, and then panic that i might need it at some point in the future.

but then, i'm mental.
  • Options
    Nope not really. Btw whys this in health? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Btw whys this in health?

he probably sees it as a sign of some kind of mental affliction.
  • Options
    i used to have trouble throwing things away, but then one day i realised memories are better than keeping a tattered piece of cloth that i thought was my old blanket lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Nope not really. Btw whys this in health? :confused:

I was going to put it in relationships but the relationship between me and my junk is abit sad, nothing gets taken seriously in anything goes. I dont know tbh.

I hate throwing things away.
  • Options
    If you are totally unable to throw things away, then it could be a sign of a mental disorder. Not wanting to get you worried or anything, like. :) That's often a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and OCD sufferers often think that something bad will happen if they do, or don't do, certain things, such as throwing things away.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    If you are totally unable to throw things away, then it could be a sign of a mental disorder. Not wanting to get you worried or anything, like. :) That's often a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and OCD sufferers often think that something bad will happen if they do, or don't do, certain things, such as throwing things away.

Mr_Wobble ;)

i find it really difficult to throw things away too. i was going to a psychiatrist for a while and he picked up on this. it is, as mr_wobble said, a symptom of OCD. its something i have to be careful about because if not it could lead into OCD (not just that symptom mind ... but it is a contributing factor)

if you're worried then see your GP or feel free to PM me :)
  • Options
    Dont think I have no OCD... but I cant begin to think why I cant throw them away, might be something to do with memorys but I cant say. The longer I keep whatever it is the harder it is to throw away. hm. Ill be fine :D
    if you're worried then see your GP or feel free to PM me

Thanks.
  • Options
    it's just a feature of some people's personalities.

if it doesn't cause you any great distress, then just carry on as you are.

i can think of worse personality traits to have.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

if it doesn't cause you any great distress, then just carry on as you are.

I'm running out of storage. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I'm running out of storage. Thanks again.

What stops you from throwing things away? I dont mean what reasoning, but what raw emotion?

And how seriously do you hoard? I dont like to throw things away, but I do throw away broken things. I cant throw things like magazines or old toys away without feeling nervous though, but hey, like Kaffrin, Im mental:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    What stops you from throwing things away? I dont mean what reasoning, but what raw emotion?

And how seriously do you hoard? I dont like to throw things away, but I do throw away broken things. I cant throw things like magazines or old toys away without feeling nervous though, but hey, like Kaffrin, Im mental:)

I cant explain it. I've still got a piece of paper that I scribbled on with a wax crayon when I was 5. I've still got a case of broken pencils covered in ink from where my pen leaked when I was in primary school. I badly need to get rid of some of my books to make way for ones that I need but cant, it happens alot when im cleaning and have nowhere to put the things. Even stupid things like stickers that Ive never used. The list goes on into more and more crud. When I think about it now it seems saft but I still cant throw them away. :mad:
  • Options
    Is it just the throwing old things away thats the problem, or are there other things that are wrong?

Having difficulty throwing old things away is prevalent in a lot of mental illnesses, not just OCD, so if there are other things that are wrong in your life it might be an idea to have a chat with a GP or a counsellor.

I have a feeling that what feelings you have when you come to throw things away will say a lot as to whether its harnless or not though:)

Out of interest, if someone took an executive decision and threw them away for you, how do you think you would react?
  • Options
    Its not really just old things, I mean I kept them in the first place for them to become old. What do you mean by 'other things that are wrong?'?
    Having difficulty throwing old things away is prevalent in a lot of mental illnesses, not just OCD, so if there are other things that are wrong in your life it might be an idea to have a chat with a GP or a counsellor.

My GP will dismiss anything I take to him which isnt pussing with blood. I dont trust people who are paid to listen as I never know if they're doing it because they have an interest or for money. How can someone help if they dont have an interest? I dont like talking about things like that with my family, but I dont think I need to talk to anyone anyway.
    I have a feeling that what feelings you have when you come to throw things away will say a lot as to whether its harnless or not though:)

How do you mean?
    Out of interest, if someone took an executive decision and threw them away for you, how do you think you would react?

First I'd fetch my gun...

Seriously though I'd probobly hold it against them for the rest of my life, or at least never see them the same. That assuming they knew how much I dont throw things away.
  • Options
    i av trouble throwing things away, in the end i tend to just force myself to do it but i find it hard, i feel an idiot sometimes tho :lol:
  • Options
    By 'other things that are wrong' I kinda meant sadness or anger or something like that in a general way.

If you hoard things because youre affectionate of them, even crap, then its pretty harmless all in all, but if you hoard things because the very thought of throwing them away makes you panic then thats more of a problem.

Interesting that you would be upset if another threw your rubbish away, it gives me the impression that its not the act of throwing away, but the presence of the items that is necesary in your mind.

GPs and counsellors could help problems, but only if you let them. But I will say that if you didnt think there was a problem then you wouldnt be asking our advice:)
  • Options
    By 'other things that are wrong' I kinda meant sadness or anger or something like that in a general way.

I have those problems alot but cant see how it would have anything to do with throwing things away.

I think there is loads of reasons why I cant throw the things away. Even when I was a kid I never threw anything away because I thought that everything had a mind and how would I like it if it was me. Obviously I dont think like that now, but sometimes I feel like if I throw it away ill forget about it and I shouldnt, or I might need it. Or whatever it reminds me of is something that I wont think of without seeing it. Theres too many things too mention.

I was more curious than anything to see if anyone could tell me why I dont throw things away and if it was normal, seemingly not. Spose thats why people come here in the first place for though right? Problems etc? Thanks. Tom
  • Options
    Oh Jeez - its not a broblem if it doesn't worry you!!

I have a dress from when I was 3 (I'm 33), tickets from when I went to the cinema when I was 23, All my birthday cards from all my birthdays...etc.etc

and the great thing is that since my dad and my granny died I have all the shit they kept too!!
  • Options
    I have those problems alot but cant see how it would have anything to do with throwing things away.

Im no psychologist but things are always linked together, and quite often not being able to throw things away is one symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself:)