Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Beggars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you give money to beggars and if so which kind do you usually give money to

a) The ones that hassle you for money

b) The ones that are really polite?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Beggars
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

AGAIN?
  • Options
    I don't.
  • Options
    Re: Beggars

i dont give money to beggars at all
  • Options
    Don't mind buying a Big Issue. Don't really give to beggers though.
  • Options
    If i see a guy/girl with a sign saying hungry and home less i would go buy them food, but i would never give them money, cos you just dnt know if they are going to spend it on booze or somthing. not that i think all of them will, but yea...u know what i mean(i hope)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    If i see a guy/girl with a sign saying hungry and home less i would go buy them food, but i would never give them money, cos you just dnt know if they are going to spend it on booze or somthing. not that i think all of them will, but yea...u know what i mean(i hope)

Yep I know what you mean - my trip to Barcelona got me thinking again - saw a whole new type of begging, like some woman that walks hunched over with a begging bowling and bare feet but to be honest I reckon she was faking the whole thing. The soles of her feet didn't look that rough!!

Also there were plenty of beggars come hookers asking for money in KFC.
  • Options
    Barcelona is like that, and worse. The women who take their children with them, and start handing their babies over to you and stuff.... its bloody harsh. Anyways, back to the topic, i never give money to beggars, as I believe they could be doing to make their situation better, but instead are relying on handouts and other peoples generosity. On the other hand, buskers i will give money to if I think they deserve it.
  • Options
    to be honest I reckon she was faking the whole thing. The soles of her feet didn't look that rough!!

:lol:

ps no i dont give to beggars, my school makes us give enough money to homeless organisations as it is
  • Options
    I don't give money to beggars, but, if i were to, it would be to someone who was quiet. Someone who is in my face has no chance really. Basically because if they have the energy to be that in my face then they are probably getting decent sleep and food.
  • Options
    I don't give money to any beggars. I buy the Big Issue occasionally, usually do at Xmas but then only from the one who seems the friendliest or makes an effort to make you laugh or something.
  • Options
    i give money to beggars. there but for the grace of god go i.
    and you can bet this guy never gave any and look at him now!

saddam_homeless2.jpg
  • Options
    I don't give to beggars who sit next to cash points. If I'm at the cash point I've got no cash :rolleyes: and the cash I'm getting out comes out in note form, and as a poor student I can't afford to hand that over! I came back to my flat the other day and my housemate had invited in the beggar from the top of our road for a cup of tea. Dear god :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gems
    I don't give to beggars who sit next to cash points. If I'm at the cash point I've got no cash :rolleyes: and the cash I'm getting out comes out in note form, and as a poor student I can't afford to hand that over! I came back to my flat the other day and my housemate had invited in the beggar from the top of our road for a cup of tea. Dear god :eek2:

In Barcelona there are like a zillion baks everywhere - I've never seen so many banks and a lot of them are those where the cash machine is on the inside and you need to swipe your card to go inside and take money out.

In a lot of them homeless people would sleep but they were ll just minding their own business and trying to keep warm - although there were some mean people that would shout at them and wake them up.

There were also people selling cans of beer on the street.

But watching our for pick pocketwas was a fulltime occupation, think I need to invest in a money belt.
  • Options
    i don't give money to beggars, full stop.

i don't have a lot of money, and the money i choose to give away i give to a charity that i support, and not just to some bloke hassling me in town.
  • Options
    I don't give to beggars, especially not ones who have instruments i mean wtf. sell them to eat
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    I don't give to beggars, especially not ones who have instruments i mean wtf. sell them to eat

Well I don't consider Buskers beggers really - if they have talent.

In covent Garden there's usually music students entertaining te crowds
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i give money to beggars. there but for the grace of god go i.
    and you can bet this guy never gave any and look at him now!

saddam_homeless2.jpg
    [/QUOTE

Titter
  • Options
    So is the big issue sold outside of London? And in other countries?

I think it's such a great idea. Rather then begging giving homeless people a chance to earn and gain a bit of self respect.

Although I've seen various kinds of sellers.

Some are using it to do glorified begging and still give you a hard time if you don't want to buy it and others are so nice to you, if you don't want to buy a copy they just thanks and wish you a nice day.

And usually I might buy from them the next day.

I think the homeless should be able to sell papers like the FT, etc.

At Uni we used to get the FT for 13p per day and the selling price was like 70p I think. We always used to say we should get a stack of them and go down London and sell them for a big profit!!
  • Options

I think it's such a great idea. Rather then begging giving homeless people a chance to earn and gain a bit of self respect.

Although I've seen various kinds of sellers.

Some are using it to do glorified begging and still give you a hard time if you don't want to buy it and others are so nice to you, if you don't want to buy a copy they just thanks and wish you a nice day.

And usually I might buy from them the next day.

I think the homeless should be able to sell papers like the FT, etc.

At Uni we used to get the FT for 13p per day and the selling price was like 70p I think. We always used to say we should get a stack of them and go down London and sell them for a big profit!!

Did you know that not all the people selling it are homeless though?!
  • Options

I don't know about other countries but they sell it in Bristol, and probably every major city in the UK.
  • Options
    they sell the big issue everywhere.
    I give money to some beggars, especially if theyre sleeping rough at night time. but then again, theyre not actually asking for anything that time of night. It depends on who it is though. I dont are what they spend it on, its up to them.