Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

broken homes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
gods sake i have to choke down two xmas dinners this year

one at my grans with my dad n his gf and one with my mum n her husband

gah! oh well i like brussel sprouts!!

Comments

• Options
    Think yourself lucky you have a dad to spend it with.
  • Options
    I seem to be the only person i know having one xmas dinner this year!.. My sisters bf has to have three!!!! Im lucky.

My sister (dads daughter) cant have her xmas with our dad. At least you get to see yours, she doesnt. So be :) more turkey and stuffing for you!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I seem to be the only person i know having one xmas dinner this year!.. My sisters bf has to have three!!!! Im lucky.

My sister (dads daughter) cant have her xmas with our dad. At least you get to see yours, she doesnt. So be :) more turkey and stuffing for you!!

I'm only having one.
  • Options
    I dunno how you cope, Char.
  • Options
    Re: broken homes
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    gods sake i have to choke down two xmas dinners this year

one at my grans with my dad n his gf and one with my mum n her husband

gah! oh well i like brussel sprouts!!

Is there no way to alternate year by year who you spend it with? or spend christmas day with one and new years day with the other or sumthing?
  • Options
    I'm having two, one with close family on christmas day, and one with all family about a couple of days later. Ok I must souds really insensitive sorry!

Sorry to hear it char *hugs* i know its not nice to have your whole family split up, my parents had a trial seperation a couple of years ago and i hated it! :crying:
  • Options
    I know it must be hard. But isn't it better than the alternative?

My Mum and Dad don't get on at all, but at Christmas I have to go there and play happy families all day, it's crap, pretending.

I would rather have 2 seperate dinners than do that.
  • Options
    I'd love for my dad to be alive to spend xmas day with... :( As annoying as family can be you have to try and make the most of them.. two sets of brussel sprouts or not!
  • Options
    I'm having one but would rather have none then play happy families & carry on living a lie.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    im spending christmas day with my dad this year. my mum and dad split up when we were 7 and my dad moved away to africa. havent spent christmas with him in about 7 or 8 years. it should be good. don't worry char_baby, it should be ok. eat as little as you can without seeming rude at the first one so then you wont be as sick of it at the second one.
  • Options
    My mum and dad divorced ages ago, but I only have one with my mum because my dad doesn't cook and leaves his girlfriend up north.

I'm sorry your parents aren't together but I have no sympathy for children whose parents have split up. It's just one of those things. I was upset that my parents split up but at least they're not still living together and throwing plates at eachother or whatever rowing couples do.

I reserve my sympathy for abused children or children who are orphans or when one of their parents has died or doesn't see them.

As Tweety said, be glad both of your parents are still alive. We are truly priviliged, and be glad you are eating at all this Christmas. Two Xmas Dinners? Why not give your leftovers to a homeless person?
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Two Xmas Dinners? Why not give your leftovers to a homeless person?

Indeedy.

How many people actually think about people less fortunate than them at Xmas? There was this family down the road from us, single mum, two kids. My mam always told us that she worked her fingers to the bone to give them kids a good time at Xmas, and even though it wasn't much they got in the end up, they were damn appreciative of it.

And that's just people down the road from us. Think about orphans in Romania and stuff.

I'm not being nasty, but moaning about the presents you get and complaining about having to eat two Xmas dinners is totally and utterly selfish and self-centered and totally what I hate about Xmas.

People so need to get a grip.
  • Options
    How many people actually think about people less fortunate than them at Xmas? There was this family down the road from us, single mum, two kids. My mam always told us that she worked her fingers to the bone to give them kids a good time at Xmas, and even though it wasn't much they got in the end up, they were damn appreciative of it.

And that's just people down the road from us. Think about orphans in Romania and stuff.

I'm not being nasty, but moaning about the presents you get and complaining about having to eat two Xmas dinners is totally and utterly selfish and self-centered and totally what I hate about Xmas.

Couldn't agree more. I could be bothered less with how many presents or not, that I get, or how many Christmas dinners or whatever I'm going to have.

Also, even though I no longer have my parents, here and alive, I am grateful that I still am, that I still have a place to live, food, clothe on my back.

If I could, at all, I would love to donate some food and/or toys or both, or whatever else I could possibly provide, to some of the families and children that will have very little or nothing, at all, for Christmas, or whenever I possibly could, but just wish that there was a place around here, that I could do that.

I would even feel better, if I could volunteer my time, around where I live, in the US, that I could even help to just feed the homeless on Christmas.

Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm being a snobbish, snotty person, but just wish that, in some ways, that people, all around the world, could help others, in some way/s.

Ok, enough rambling and going on now. Will just stop and leave this thread before everyone thinks I'm like totally nuts:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

People so need to get a grip.

i wasnt moaning about eating two xmas dinners, its just getting bad, when im with one family the other bitches about the other side and blah blah

just xmas is the time when your supposed to be happy when in fact it brings up all the rifts in your life
  • Options
    Why not give your leftovers to a homeless person?

because normally they tell you to fuck off if you offer them food- i dont blame them, you cant buy a BMW with a Big Mac.
  • Options

I reserve my sympathy for abused children or children who are orphans or when one of their parents has died or doesn't see them.

Wtf?!?!

Do you have quotas of sympathy which you can use?
    Yes divorced parents might be better than so many other things, but it's still not plesant for all.

Sometimes the self-righteous do gooders spite out more crap than actual good they do.
  • Options
    I know what some of you are saying about in Romania etc. But in Britain 9 times out of 10 if someone is homeless it is thier own fault due to drugs, not getting a job etc. Why should someone who has worked hard for thier christmas dinner feel guilty because someone flushed thier life down the toilet!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gems
    I'd love for my dad to be alive to spend xmas day with... :(

:crying:
    my feelings exactly... its so weird without dad, think this christmas will be the hardest cos its the first without him...
    :(
  • Options
    I'm sorry your parents aren't together but I have no sympathy for children whose parents have split up. It's just one of those things. I was upset that my parents split up but at least they're not still living together and throwing plates at eachother or whatever rowing couples do.

Wow. That's unbelievably callous. Even by my standards.
  • Options
    i think about people less fortunate.

i have a big, happy family, and i'm totally grateful for it.

but i have an adopted cousin, who, because of her own actions, is no longer a real part of our family, and who we don't really talk to. she lives way below the poverty line in scunthorpe.

every christmas, my aunt and uncle (her adoptive parents) post her and her scummy boyfriend a present, despite everything she's done to them (and it's a lot), because they know that whatever they buy for them will be the only thing they get.