Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The most boring sober xmas eva eva eva

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry about the title but no one was replying!

My lovely mother is always complaining about my "binge" drinking, she's not a big drinker and nor is my dad but I'm 18 and I know xmas day and boxing day she will be controlling my drinking, like one or two glasses of wine.

I know you don't need drink to have a good time but all my friends and my boyfriends parents all get drunk together and I can't just not drink, I do need drink to have a good time at family get togethers and it's gonna be the first xmas without my grandad cos he died 2 months ago so I neeeed drink.

What can I say/do? Is anyone elses parents like this?

Comments

• Options
    my parents TRY but my dad knows theres nout he can do, my mum keeps trying but i just buy my own booze so she cant do a thing
  • Options
    hide some baylies in your room and then slip some in your tea
  • Options
    i would thank your mother if i was you :)

Personally, I don't know how hard it is because I'm not dependant on alchohol for anything - in fact I'm better without it. I don't even need it for dutch courage though some people say it would help me.

Ah you don't wanna be lectured but I've seen first hand the effects of alchoholism and it's so horrible. But I guess you know best. Why not just tell her that you don't care what she thinks you're 18 afterall you should be able to live your own life and live with the consequences
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    i would thank your mother if i was you :)

Personally, I don't know how hard it is because I'm not dependant on alchohol for anything - in fact I'm better without it. I don't even need it for dutch courage though some people say it would help me.

Ah you don't wanna be lectured but I've seen first hand the effects of alchoholism and it's so horrible. But I guess you know best. Why not just tell her that you don't care what she thinks you're 18 afterall you should be able to live your own life and live with the consequences

chill your mad self

shes not a reaging violent alcoholic she just wants a few bevvies on xmas

tell ya ill be drinking like a fish and theres nothing wrong with it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    tell ya ill be drinking like a fish and theres nothing wrong with it!

That's what everyone says. You know young women are one of the worst age-groups for drinking! (and smoking but thats a different topic)

le sigh :p
  • Options
    Re: READ THIS!!
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    it's gonna be the first xmas without my grandad cos he died 2 months ago so I neeeed drink.
    That's a fairly feeble excuse to want a drink at Christmas. You're clutching at straws when trying to gain sympathy with that one. Maybe your Mum is right???

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    That's what everyone says. You know young women are one of the worst age-groups for drinking! (and smoking but thats a different topic)

le sigh :p

Well it's nice to know the millions spent on drug awareness each year is getting through to at least one person.

Jellygirl, find something that's gonna get your plastered quickly that you can slip in your coat, like vodka minatures.

Or don't drink. I bet you've never even tried to have fun without drinking.
  • Options
    exact opposite here.

i've been teetotal since i was 14, and all my family are rampant drinkers.

they take the piss out of me big style, tell me i'll grow out of it. my mum has even been known to spike my coke with vodka hoping i won't notice :yeees:
  • Options
    i havent had a drink for almost 4 months now, i feel alot better for it. Plus ive lost wieght cos of it!
  • Options

how the hell did alcoholism come into it? she wants to get pissed ...have a knees up.
    just becuase someone is 18 doesn't mean they can do what the hell they like in their parents home ...that they have paid for and built over the years. i can assure you ...where my kids are concerned this house is NOT a democracy! it is my kingdom and make me to uncomfortable in my kingdom and your out building your own before you planned to!

back to the subject.
    a good idea would be to buy yourself a couple of bottles of what you fancy and wrap them all nice and pretty ...happy xmas from alias ...thats the kind of presents adults give and recieve.
    how will she be able to stop you then?
  • Options
    Show them you can be a responsible drinker and don't get too pissed in front of them.

But when you go out christmas night/boxing night then get pissed :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    but i just buy my own booze

Or hang outside the local Spar harrassing passers buy to buy it for you...:p

BTW, you aint 18 yet. So it's not like totally out of the ordinary for Mummy to be concerned.
  • Options
    My parents introduced me to champagne when i was three :p And thus my first ever drunken episode. And they let me have alcohol moderately regularly from when i was about 10/11.

Must have worked though, cos i rarely binge drink, it takes a lot to get me drunk and i don't suffer from hangovers.

Geez... I even got through a christmas party tonight drinking pepsi! (it was shit!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Or hang outside the local Spar harrassing passers buy to buy it for you...:p

BTW, you aint 18 yet. So it's not like totally out of the ordinary for Mummy to be concerned.

yes but i look 18 enough to buy drink so ner :p
  • Options
    Bah, everyone says they "need" a drink and then some people go off and binge drink. It's just another form of "drug abuse". Just because you look old enough dosen't mean you should drink. Maybe your mother is right. Uni made me see the real darkside of drink, bloodshot eyes, waking up with a hangover without drinking the night before. These are things you really don't want. This has made me decide to take things real easy over xmas break, don't drink much and try and eat well. Wont be easy when everyone else is eating cake and srinking 24/7 but it'll be worth it!

Bopz