Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

shooting pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last week I've been getting these shooting head pains in the front and side of my head (like when you eat realy cold ice cream) someone told me that they could be cluster headaches.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    It does kinda sound like a cluster headache to me, though i dont know that much about them... Id go and get it all checked out at the doc's to make sure
  • Options
    Either that or stress headache. Had the same thing in the summer and it was sooo bad. Also see funny blue/wite zig zaggy lines for about 5 minutes but there's no pain with that (docs taken blood pressure a few times but his never said that there's anything abnormal with it).
  • Options
    Oh yeah, forgot to add that I also get funny zig-zagy (like I said ^^) lines in my eyes and blurry vision and I also see loads of spots/floaters... no head pain with that.
  • Options
    when was the last time you had an eye test?

in the summer i had symptoms very similar to yours. i went to the doctor, who told me to have an eye test and come back if they found nothing.

i went to the optician, and within 5 minutes he told me what my problem was. although my general vision is pretty good, the point at which my eyes focus is a lot further out than it should be.

do you get it that you're looking at something, and all of a sudden it'll go out of focus, and you have to try really hard to re-focus?
  • Options
    It goes out of focus all of the sudden for like a split second. I had an eye test at the beginning of this year and I THINK I had one at the start of the summer which was done at Boots.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I had an eye test at the beginning of this year and I THINK I had one at the start of the summer which was done at Boots.

hmmm.

then i'd see a doctor. your head is not something you want to take risks with.
  • Options
    then i'd see a doctor. your head is not something you want to take risks with.

Already have been and he just said to go and see the optician. Also had an MRI last month which showed up nothing.
  • Options
    Do you spend alot of time on the computer or watching TV? Too much of either mangles my head and my eyes.

As kaffrin pointed out an eye test might do you no harm.

I had something similar to this when I was little but without the eye symptoms as much, doc said it was neuralgia.
  • Options
    Well the lights & flashy things could be a sign of migraines, did the doc not mention it could be these? They aren't summat to be messed with. I would go get a second opinion if i was you.
  • Options
    I've heard about visual miragnes which don't have any head ache. The pains have gone now, I think I may of had a touch of something as I was feeling a little under the weather.

I did hear that the spots and lines can is caused by stress/anxiety. Anyone heard of this?

I think maybe most of the my head aches are stress related. I'll see the eye people as my doc did say to go and get another eye test done in the first place.
    Do you spend alot of time on the computer

Yes I do.. quite a damn bit :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I did hear that the spots and lines can is caused by stress/anxiety. Anyone heard of this?

I think maybe most of the my head aches are stress related.

:yes:

you'd be amazed the kind of symptoms anxiety and to a point, stress, can cause.

i had a headache for 10 days in the summer, and the doctor said it was most probably a tension headache, and gave me a short course of beta blockers to break the cycle. sure enough it worked. even though i didn't actually feel stressed or anxious at the time.

the doctor also said another thing that could be happening, i don't know if this could be true for you too, but because i had so many headaches, i was taking paracetamol nearly every day for them, and apparently if you take paracetamol for too long, it can cause headaches. who'da thunk it?
  • Options
    Often the patients with this particular type of floater tell of anxiety, depression, problems in their marriage or job which they relate is caused by the visual problem associated with the floaters.

Just something I found. I watching watching something GMTV last year and this girls of about 14/15 was getting bullied at school and she became quite depressed and stressed out over... She went blind for a short while! That's a double :/:/.

i was taking paracetamol nearly every day for them, and apparently if you take paracetamol for too long, it can cause headaches. who'da thunk it?

My 'ol man said the exact same thing about it causing headaches. I guess I should just grin and bare it for now. :)