Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

DEAD - for the Price of Petrol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a warning to you guys.

One of my Mum's friends at works son died today.

He died when his sister sold her car to someone and he decided he'd remove most of the petrol from the car before handing it over to the buyer.

The car exploded and he was burnt over 95% of his body before finally dying in great pain.

If any of you ever think about doing the same thing in the future don't bother - petrol is expensive but it ain't worth the risk.

Comments

• Options
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :crazyeyes :eek2: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    what do u mean he tried to take the last of the petrol out? how did he do that? it was incredibly stupid to do that, not to mention tight, if theyd bought the car theres nothing wrong in givin em a little petrol

oh well, r.i.p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    what do u mean he tried to take the last of the petrol out? how did he do that? it was incredibly stupid to do that, not to mention tight, if theyd bought the car theres nothing wrong in givin em a little petrol

oh well, r.i.p

No not all the petrol - just most of it.

You stick a hose pipe in the tank where you normally fill petrol and suck and the fuel flows out - he was going to try and put it into a container and then into another car - he was going to leave the buyer a little amount of petrol - the same way almost all car dealers do when they selly ou a car - there's usually about 15 miles worth of petrol in new cars - enough to get to a petrol station.

A lot of times when car mechanics do weldig jobs on cars if the work is near the fuel tank they won't touch it cos there's too much risk.

Also there's some dumb laws on petrol tanks about having to be made frommetal I think - when there's now materials which are probabaly better, don't rust and don't conduct electricity (and hence a spark). The laws made sense at the time but new technology means they're potentially out dated.

The guy was about 29.
  • Options
    What an idiot.

We've had a few nasty deaths where I live. A man aged 23 committed suicide by jumping in front of a fast moving lorry, and my boyfriend's brother hung himself a week ago :( Rest In Peace.
  • Options
    Reminds me of the time when one of my mates ran out of petrol one night. Was right beside his folks house so we tried to syphon petrol from his old mans car. After about 15mins of trying to sook petrol out of the tank we realised that there was a guard thing halfway down the tube leading into the tank to prevent folk from syphoning petrol. Got a serious buzz though. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    What an idiot.

We've had a few nasty deaths where I live. A man aged 23 committed suicide by jumping in front of a fast moving lorry, and my boyfriend's brother hung himself a week ago :( Rest In Peace.

I think it's so selffish to commit suicide by involving another person.

The Lorry driver's life must be ruined.

If I was him I'd probabaly have nightmares evey night and probabaly would never drive again!!
  • Options
    with all due respect, another one for the darwin awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

:yes:
  • Options

definatly, i wanted to say that but i would hav got called 'insensitive'

it is selfish to involve another person, but its unavoidable, someones gonna find your body whatever you do, people will hav to identify you too in some circumstances, but i suppose you dont really care when your that low
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    definatly, i wanted to say that but i would hav got called 'insensitive'

well he obviously wasn't the brightest bulb on the christmas tree.

it was obviously dangerous. any normal person would just have charged the buyer £20 extra for the full tank of petrol.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Re: DEAD - for the Price of Petrol
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    If any of you ever think about doing the same thing in the future don't bother - petrol is expensive but it ain't worth the risk.

I've syphoned petrol loads of times. When I was younger we used to nick all the petrol and diesel out the farm vehicles near my house. Obviously there is a risk as this case shows but generally it's not a dangerous thing to do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Most of the Darwin awards have stories of people that die by doing something really, really stupid.

The practise of withdrawing petrol like this is probabaly done 1,000's of time a day all over the world by people fixing cars, etc - this guy obviously got unlucky and didn't know what he was doing.

A typical example of the Darwin Awards is like the Bee Keeper who wanted to avoid being stung so he put a plastic bag over his head and suffocated!!
  • Options

If I was him I'd probabaly have nightmares evey night and probabaly would never drive again!!

That's what my first thoughts were; "How the heck does this poor driver feel?"

I'd be scarred for life. And yeah it is selfish, fair enough if you want to be stupid and end your life, but don't involve other people for FUCK's sake!
  • Options

A mate of mine commited suiside by foing that.
    I feel sorry for the driver that he hit (he jumped of a motor way bridge) it was the second time that had happened to him apparently.
  • Options
    A friend at work was asked the time by a girl on the underground and then she ran and jumped infront of the on coming train killing herself.

He said he could see the driver's face and he was totally distraught.
  • Options
    Being honest - jumping infront of a lorry is a lot quicker than a week ? :confused: or being in hospital with pipes into you from an OD till your heart finally stops. I think thats how OD's die anyway :confused: but I guess some are faster than that?

I think when people are so distraught they're going to kill themselves they just want to do it in the quickest way possible?
  • Options
    That's what my first thoughts were; "How the heck does this poor driver feel?"

I'd be scarred for life. And yeah it is selfish, fair enough if you want to be stupid and end your life, but don't involve other people for FUCK's sake!

It always does somehow though, my dad commited suicide in his car by gasing himself. He was all alone, but some guy walking his dog in the morning found him. That probably has stuck with him for life too :(.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    It always does somehow though, my dad commited suicide in his car by gasing himself. He was all alone, but some guy walking his dog in the morning found him. That probably has stuck with him for life too :(.

I know, my life would be ruined if I ever discovered a dead body. I pray I don't. But I mean, when people use another person to kill themselves. No matter how rediculous the idea of it is, the poor person always thinks they're to blame for the twat's death.
  • Options
    That's what I thought when I first read it. :) I can't figure out how the hell he managed to ignite it?

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    for the twat's death.

I think that's a little harsh - ok I admit it does upset other people, but these people who are killing themselves, they're people who've been driven to the edge - they see no other option in life than killing themselves; and not for any good purpose. Many or most of you might see them as pathetic twats.. but I feel sorry for them. After all they are just a normal human being like you and I and it could easily be one of us when we're at a really low point.

I know you'd probably say they should have more consideration but I don't think they can help it. Many of you ahve come on ehre ranting saying "I don't give a fuck if this is in the wrong forum but..." - well times that upset x100 and then it's "I don't give a fuck if me killing myself upsets someone else" but nevertheless I don't have a go at that person.

that's just my point of view anyway - just because someone can't take it anymore doesn't make them a twat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

that's just my point of view anyway - just because someone can't take it anymore doesn't make them a twat.

i'm tempted to disagree with you, to a point.

i'm speaking as someone who's been suicidal many, many times.

i sympathise with people who kill themselves in certain circumstances. say if you found out you had AIDS or terminal cancer, and were going to die a horrible death, and you could just get it over and done with. or if you were living in a war zone or something.

but people who kill themselves cause they are a bit depressed, or they got bullied at school. just strikes me as, i don't know, ungrateful.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I can't figure out how the hell he managed to ignite it?

Indeed. Smoking a fag maybe?

Or mobile phone.

Both of which if you had a bit of a brain you'd not do.

There must have been an ignition source. :/
  • Options
    i'm tempted to disagree with you, to a point.

i'm speaking as someone who's been suicidal many, many times.

i sympathise with people who kill themselves in certain circumstances. say if you found out you had AIDS or terminal cancer, and were going to die a horrible death, and you could just get it over and done with. or if you were living in a war zone or something.

but people who kill themselves cause they are a bit depressed, or they got bullied at school. just strikes me as, i don't know, ungrateful.

but its not the circumstances that brought them to it- its how they dealt with it. everyone knows some things effect/affect :confused: people more than other things - and I guess this is one of those things.

Just for me, I feel sorry for them. Unless of course they are feeling guilty for doing something evil and hang themselves or something, as people do sometimes :confused: but when people have been bullied to the extent where they have to do that I do feel sorry for them... to an extent. Of course when people are choosing it because they don't want to face their problems it's a wee bit pathetic - an easy way out. But if they can't face their problems then you can't hold them responsible.. if you get what I mean?
  • Options

People are usually more than "a bit depressed" when they commit suicide.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    But if they can't face their problems then you can't hold them responsible.. if you get what I mean?

Course you can. Like it or not it's an inherently selfish and uncaring act to take your own life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Course you can. Like it or not it's an inherently selfish and uncaring act to take your own life.

I agree with that, its fucks people up for years to come :(.
  • Options
    I kinda think both sides are selfish.

People miserable to the point where they try to kill themselves are selfish for the misery they are going to cause the person/people who cared for them and anyone else they may get involved through their killing themselves.

The relatives or what not are selfish for expecting someone who doesn't want to live anymore to continue living just because they can't lose them.

Both sides are selfish, but people are, so boo hoo.
  • Options
    When someone dies, I miss them, but I don't go through the same grieving process as a lot of people do. I feel happy for them that they have passed on - and are often out of suffering. Sometimes I feel it's a bit unjust if they were a perfectly happy young healthy person, but it's what happens. I don't see it as a necessarily bad thing - but that's me and everyone's views differ.
  • Options
    while me on the other hand i'm going to live forever......

oh yeah check the sig, i'm sure it fits in here somewhere
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    People are usually more than "a bit depressed" when they commit suicide.

usually. but not always.

i've spent near on 7 years in the mental health system, and you'd be amazed how many people (especially teenagers) attempt suicide as some kind of sign of 'cool'. and an awful lot of people attempt it to make someone feel guilty. sadly, a lot of these attempts work.

aside from that it's usually the moderately depressed people who kill themselves. the severely depressed are either insitutionalised, or of no sound mind to get out of bed, let alone plan their own death.