Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

European Cup Last 16

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone got any preference on who they draw tomorrow? I was hoping Ajax would make it through, Amsterdam in February sounded good. Prague and Moscow would be good, anyone but Coruna again. Have a strong feeling it will be Bayern for us though.

Group Winners

Olympique Lyonnais (FRA)
Arsenal FC (ENG)
AS Monaco FC (FRA)
Juventus FC (ITA)
Manchester United FC (ENG)
Real Madrid CF (ESP)
Chelsea FC (ENG)
AC Milan (ITA)

Group Runners Up

FC Bayern München (GER)
FC Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
RC Deportivo La Coruña (ESP)
Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)
VfB Stuttgart (GER)
FC Porto (POR)
AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
RC Celta de Vigo (ESP)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't mind Chelsea getting FC Lokomotiv Moskva , but there are no easy games.
  • Options
    Re: European Cup Last 16
    Originally posted by godscop
    Have a strong feeling it will be Bayern for us though.

Ditto. The draw always seems to work that way.

Coincidence?
  • Options
    Theres plenty of conspiracy theorys on the net. :)
  • Options
    Better you get Bayern than us...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Better you get Bayern than us...

Do you mean that you'd prefer us to get them, rather than you to get them? Cos I read that to say that it is better that we play Bayern than that we play you (which cannot happen at this stage anyway).

Damn, the English Language can be so confusing at times...
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    Have a strong feeling it will be Bayern for us though.

Don't think it'd be as bad as it sounds.

Bayern did not impress me at all in either game against Celtic, must admit I would fancy United against them.

Although them, Depor and Porto would seem to be the only ones who'd you'd possibly hope to avoid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Don't think it'd be as bad as it sounds.

Bayern did not impress me at all in either game against Celtic, must admit I would fancy United against them.

Although them, Depor and Porto would seem to be the only ones who'd you'd possibly hope to avoid.

I wasn't being a doom merchant, I am not worried at the prospect of playing anyone in Europe, I want to play the best teams as thats what this cups about.

I will be surprised if we don't draw Bayern though ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Do you mean that you'd prefer us to get them, rather than you to get them? Cos I read that to say that it is better that we play Bayern than that we play you (which cannot happen at this stage anyway).

Damn, the English Language can be so confusing at times...
    What I meant is that I don't want Madrid to play Bayern.

On paper we're superior to them, and for the last couple of years we have at least beat German teams. But we do not have a very good history, and they are a sticky and ugly side to play at the best of times.

As it happens Madrid should have no problem beating any of their potential rivals- but I'd still rather have the easiest one.
  • Options
    What I meant is that I don't want Madrid to play Bayern.

On paper we're superior to them, and for the last couple of years we have at least beat German teams. But we do not have a very good history, and they are a sticky and ugly side to play at the best of times.

As it happens Madrid should have no problem beating any of their potential rivals- but I'd still rather have the easiest one.

Don't you support any UK teams Aladdin?
  • Options
    I didnt think Real Madrid would be his cup of tea to be honest :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Don't you support any UK teams Aladdin?

AFC Wimbledon...

Agree with hime about Bayern vs Madrid too, the Germans seem to cause Madrid more problems than they cause us...
  • Options
    Originally posted by RWB
    I didnt think Real Madrid would be his cup of tea to be honest :D

His local team...
  • Options
    And the draw is:

Sttutgart v Chelsea

Porto v Man United

Real Sociedad v Olympiacos

Celta Vigo v Arsenal

Bayern Munich v Real Madrid

Sparta Prague v Milan

Deportivo v Juventus

Locomotiv Moscow v Monaco

I knew we'd get Munich. Oh well. I guess it's best to get them out of the way early on. :D
  • Options
    We better start ordering bullet proof vests.
  • Options
    The Portuguese are a very sedate and cheerful lot. What are you suggesting? :D
  • Options
    The hospitality in 97 was great, United fans deserved to be shot at, afterall we won!

Just had another thought, they're going to consider us Englands forward party and demonstrate exactly whats going to happen in the summer. Shit
  • Options
    Wouldn't you know it, Chelsea get the worst draw out of the English clubs. Apparently we're joint favs now with Madrid. wot????
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    AFC Wimbledon...

Aladdin did you support regular Wimbledon before they became MK Dons?
  • Options
    Wouldn't you know it, Chelsea get the worst draw out of the English clubs. Apparently we're joint favs now with Madrid. wot????

Stuttgart aren't as good as is being made out, I don't think you'll have a problem.

I think Arsenal have got the hardest tie tbh.
  • Options
    Aladdin did you support regular Wimbledon before they became MK Dons?
    Yes, I had been a season ticket holder for 5 years before the club died on May 28 2002. Went to the demos, gave Koppel grief, wrote to newspapers and MPs, the lot.

Now I'm counting the days to final liquidation of Franchise FC and everything it represents.
  • Options
    It's a right shame about Wimbledon, I'm sure something could have been done to get them a local ground, bloody Merton Council, whoops I used to work for them :)

Still, when you spend 7.5 million on John Hartson you know it's all gonna go pear shaped.
  • Options
    (Sorry for derailment)

Funnily enough everything went pear-shaped the day we bought Hartson. From being third in the Premiership and on a superb form to start losing everything and eventually get relegated.

Don't want to bore you with endless reports about the ground shambles: to keep it short Sam Hamman sold it for £27m (far too much according to everyone) to a Norwegian brother consortium on the promise that they would be allowed to move the club somewhere profitable (i.e. Dublin) and so not worry about the money.

The Norwegians put their puppet Koppel in the driving seat and the man devoted all his energy to find the best possible deal. All the possibles for a stadium in Merton were rejected (including a conversion of the Wimbledon greyhound stadium which already counted with the approval of the owners) and in fact Koppel was helping the only residents association that was against a return to Merton. That tells you all you need to know about the 'commitment' they had about moving back to Merton. :mad:

The move to MK was a betrayal of the very principle of football and what it represents. Those wankers at MK council as well saying it is the "birthright" of Milton Keynes to have a Premiership team and all that... incredible.

It is in the interests of football that the move is a failure. That club no longer represents Wimbledon and unless it can be bought back and returned to Merton- even as a Third Division team- I'd rather see it disappear.

[/derailment]
  • Options
    The move to MK was a betrayal of the very principle of football and what it represents. Those wankers at MK council as well saying it is the "birthright" of Milton Keynes to have a Premiership team and all that... incredible.

Your absolutely spot on, sadly the authorities have no grasp of football anymore. The move should never have been allowed, I signed a petition along with thousands of others against this as I think it has set a dangerous precedent where clubs could move to "exploit new markets" like in the US (I am sure if Murdoch had got his wicked way with us we would have relocated to Singapore or other such nonsense).

And as for the birthright stuff well they can fuck right off, if they want a premiership team there is nothing stopping them from founding Milton Keynes FC is there? I am sure they already have a number of non-league teams they could throw together and invest in.

Anyway as Milton Keynes has never had a proper club they have no football tradition which means the crowd is made up entirely of day trippers who will get bored soon and stop bothering.
  • Options
    Ta, we've had incredible support from clubs all over the land. Whenever there is no Premiership football because of England games we get a sizeable number of Premiership fans who come down to watch us (the last time they even sponsored the game and called themselves United Colours of Football :D ). And many fans of the clubs Franchise plays in the First Div. come and watch us instead of go see their team play Franchise.

Then again, we can boast a full ground and great atmosphere every week, and the lovely Robert Peel pub with '’Gentlemen’s entertainment’' for afterwards so it’s understandable :D