Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stress relief

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats a good way of relieving stress,

At moment I would say I mostly use alcohol however I think I might have had a drink spiked or something the other day and had a really bad night where I got really bad couldn't stand and basically just was in a state.

Smoking? Looks stress relieving but I know its disgusting but getting tempting

Self Harm? Nope don't need someone else doing that and I aint starting because it seems to be addictive

Violence? Im a pacifist

Walks? Too lazy

Play an instrument? Can't don't want to learn

Any ideas peeps?

Comments

• Options
    You shouldnt really use drugs to releive stress, I know a lot of us do, but it can lead to a somewhat nasty dependance on them.

I would say exercise, but then you said you were too lazy, errm, theres sex, be it by your self or not, thats quite good.

Reading is always good, get yourself lost in a good book.

If you gave me more symptoms of when your drink was spiked I could make a good guess at what it was if your interested.
  • Options
    Exercise is the best way

however if you're lazy you could try baths with lavender or booking in for a massage

also reading, meditation, yoga, spending time on a hobby, taking an evening class, seeing/talking to friends, eating and sleeping well can all help.

mind's guide to managing stress

Susie :)
  • Options
    My mrs and I did Tango lessons for a while, that was fun, a little expencive but was well worth it I think.
  • Options
    you can always take a nap, its what i do, even if i fall asleep crying u wake up feeling better
  • Options
    I like to go and work out or at least hit the punch bag some for a while.. After a work you feel so much better! Then get in the bath and just chill with one or two cold beers and some cool tuneage 'n that.
  • Options
    With all of the counseling Ive been too, I know alot about stress and how to deal with it.

Strategies:

Exercise- etleast three times a week

Delay- delay your response in a stress situation- Count to 10.

Laugh- Is there a way to laugh at the situation- or laugh at ourselves?

Rearrange- Rearrange or restructure family routines to relieve high stress times.

Distract- Clean house, rake leaves, or work on a project.

Talk- Talk to a friend, another parent, family member- over and over if necessary.

Take Care- To take care of others, we MUST take care of ourselves. Prolonged periods of stress can lead to illness.

Choose- Choose to be around people who make you feel good and help you to be kind to yourself.

Take Control- Are there even small ways in which you can control certain aspects of stressful situations? (action helps avoid depression)

Change- Change your appraisal of a situation. Is there a differeny way of looking at the problem that will relieve stress? Ask a trusted friend!

Predict- Predict possible stress in the making, and work around it.

Delegate- are there things that your partner, friend, neighbor, or child can do to help you? Sometimes we take too much on whe others are willing and capable of helping.

Creative Visualization-
    a. Relax, close your eyes
    b. picture in detail what you want, want to accomplish, etc.
    c. make affirmative statements about this if its happeneing NOW.
    d. Focuz on this image in the morning, before bed, and any other time you can think of.

here are a few ways to cope with stress:

plan ahead. breath slowly. do something new. anticipate needs. Prepare for rain. Tickle a baby. Get help with jobs you dislike. Read a story. Stop a bad habbit. Go on a picnic. REMEMBER, STRESS IS AN ATTITUDE. keep a journal. look for the silver lining. say something nice. Avoid negative people. make repairs. practice grace. do things in moderation. strive for excellence, not perfection. develop a sense of humor. find support. watch a movie and eat popcorn. get enough sleep. play with a child. plant a tree. throw a paper airplane. remember your options. quit trying to fix other people. look at problems as challenges. put safety first. break down large tasks. unclutter your life. write it down. avoid tight clothes. make duplicate keys. say "no" more. avoid chemical aids. Stop talking negatively. look at the stars. Doodle. visualize winning. avoid negative people.

P.S. RELAX! TAKE EACH DAY AT A TIME...YOU HAVE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO LIVE.
  • Options
    I used to get stressed all the time, but I found a long-term solution. I changed the way I thought, and I didn't let myself get wound up by things that used to get to me.

Anyway - the thing is, to not let yourself get stressed. Mellow out. I know it's hard... but I managed to do it almost overnight. But there may have been a certain catalyst elementin my situation.

Anyway - when I did get stressed I found a good session of sitting down and 'airing out' my stress through imaginary violence helped, though often left me tired even though it was only in my head!!! heh